Author Topic: Where is the Black materia?  (Read 4164 times)

meesbaker

• View Profile
Where is the Black materia?
« on: 2014-11-25 13:32:02 »
What happened to it after the events of the original game? We saw the white one drop into the water but what happened to the black one? There is no trace of either one in advent children or anything else I've seen, why were the remnants not after it? Where did it go anyway?

To me it looked like Sephiroth had it so when he was reincarnated in AC with all his stuff his sword etc., why not with the black materia? It even looked like he kinda merged with it, would he not cast another meteor as soon as he was back?

Or are holy/meteor spells that can only be used once?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: Where is the Black materia?
« Reply #1 on: 2014-11-25 15:36:58 »
Advent Children retcons major parts of the original story, so trying to make a logical sense of it is a no go :) Sephiroth was killed at the end of the game. So he didn't come back at all.  if you take the premise that whatever the writers decide is what happened (even if impossible) then you can make up your own answer and it will be every bit as valid as anyone else's.

And this is a work of fiction, of course.
« Last Edit: 2014-11-25 15:41:00 by DLPB »

meesbaker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2014-11-25 15:50:41 »
Sure but by now the compilation has more components than just AC. I also don't take all those plots too seriously but isn't it strange that those writers never left a word about the materia?

Oh and I must say that Sephiroth potentially coming back  and Jenova poisoning the lifestream was something about AC that I found quite plausible due to the circle of nature and the way lifestream is described in the original game. :)

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2014-11-25 15:52:39 »
After the Black Materia is used, it ends up hoarded away in the attic of the Icicle Inn weapon shop; check out the 'goods' group (#12) of Field 650.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2014-11-25 16:12:52 »

Oh and I must say that Sephiroth potentially coming back  and Jenova poisoning the lifestream was something about AC that I found quite plausible due to the circle of nature and the way lifestream is described in the original game. :)

The original game doesn't suggest that people can return from the dead in any physical form to then start plotting and planning again. It makes it clear that there are "spirits" that didn't return to the Lifestream, but certainly not physical beings.  This is the reason Aerith stays dead.  The bare minimum that such a retcon (and it is a retcon) does is to simply devalue the entire original story and provide a scenario of "anything can happen", resulting in the collapse of logic.

Also, it's extraordinarily bad writing to bring back a villain who is shown to be completely destroyed at the end of a previous story.  A story that resolved the crisis, and Cloud's whole arc, which was the entire purpose of the story.

This is the reason I personally despise Advent Children and the other spin offs.  You can always spot lazy writing in prequels and sequels because characters return from the dead or are brought back in some other form, original premises are ignored or rewritten, and the story is generally written to make more profit rather than to do it justice.

Just my 10 cents  ;D
« Last Edit: 2014-11-25 16:21:38 by DLPB »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2014-11-25 17:56:36 »
You can always spot lazy writing in prequels and sequels because characters return from the dead or are brought back in some other form, original premises are ignored or rewritten, and the story is generally written to make more profit rather than to do it justice.

This is what happens when a retelling gets reworked into a sequel midway through production. Wikipedia says that the movie was made because Nojima had a story idea, but I really doubt it; I suspect it was the other way around.

I have no explanation for any of the rest of the Compilation, though.

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2014-11-25 19:55:52 »
Everyone is like "Sephiroth was brought back to life," but I have another theory. Many people seem to (possibly wrongly) interpret that Sephiroth took the place of Kadaj. However, after watching the movies (both normal and complete) a number of times, it seems more like Seph's soul/spirit/whatever got into Kadaj. It was still Kadaj, only with the appearance of Sephiroth. Because, even with such a work of fiction, having a character come back from the dead, make someone else completely disappear (and conveniently bring him back when he dies) doesn't seem right.

That's another point of view worth looking into.

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2014-11-25 19:56:08 »
Also, it's extraordinarily bad writing to bring back a villain who is shown to be completely destroyed at the end of a previous story.  A story that resolved the crisis, and Cloud's whole arc, which was the entire purpose of the story.
I second this. While I do not hate Advent Children, my main gripe with it is that Cloud's portrayal in AC completely destroys the character arc he went through during the original game.

Wikipedia says that the movie was made because Nojima had a story idea, but I really doubt it; I suspect it was the other way around.
I thought I saw in the bonus blu-ray that the movie was initially a bunch of "tech demos" made by Nomura, and then a Square exec came in and said "it looks really cool, you should totally stuff that into a movie" [Citation needed]. I do believe AC very much had a "cart before the horse" style of production. Not to mention the "let's put Sephiroth in there because Sephiroth, dude". 

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2014-11-25 20:11:24 »
"let's put Sephiroth in there because Sephiroth, dude".

That's precisely it.  It was a marketing decision and nothing more.  This is precisely the mindset they use, and sadly it's effective.