Author Topic: What A Plank.  (Read 4835 times)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
What A Plank.
« on: 2011-05-16 08:03:02 »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-13389207

Planking...  what a very descriptive word for this and most net crazes.  And why is there always 1 idiot who has to do it somewhere with a high risk of dying?

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
    • FFVII Lost Wing Mod/Hacks
Re: What A Plank.
« Reply #1 on: 2011-05-16 17:43:35 »
Why are there any idiots doing it at all?  Oh yeah, idiots.  Figures, the guy who dies and has a news articl written about him, is the one who doesn't have a "Sweet ass pic of his pLanK man!!"  Oh well, poor kid.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 2011-05-16 18:35:48 »
It's so easy to die.

I'm sure most of the replies in this thread will typically consist of 'OMG HE R SO STUPID THNX FOR DARWINSIM THO LOL', just like it would anywhere else, but they miss a central point. That is: these accidents don't just happen to the perpetually hapless, borderline retarded or the willfully self-destructive. They happen to ordinary people who just didn't think things through, misjudged a situation, thought themselves more able than they actually were or just plain forwent common sense in the way perfectly normal people just do from time to time.

Usually, they're lucky. Not always, though.

In any case, I'm in no position to berate people. I've done silly things that have put me at risk. A few months ago, for example, I nearly got run over at a crossing. The red man was showing, but the cars stopped. One driver looked at me expectedly. I felt embarrassed, with him waiting there and me not doing anything. The traffic was static and I was in a rush anyway. So I hastily crossed. What I didn't know was that whilst the main column had stopped, there was a motorbike filtering through. I was very nearly killed.

Why did I do that? Why was I so stupid? Because I was embarrassed, thought things quite safe, and totally misjudged the situation. Since then, mind, I've made a point of always waiting on the crossing, even if I do feel like a... plank for standing still whilst there's a clearing on the road. But the point still stands: in the heat of the moment, people I totally misread the risks. All I can do is be mindful of it in future and stop letting embarrassment or social pressure cloud basic common sense.
« Last Edit: 2011-05-16 18:38:28 by Bosola »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2011-05-16 18:57:47 »
well that is true they do happen to ordinary people but they happen more frequently to those who balance themselves in ridiculous places knowing the chance of death is far greater.  I wouldn't call that accident.. I'd call it stupidity.

I live in high rise block and you won't see me doing something crazy.  Children can be forgiven... teens and adults should have more sense.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2011-05-20 17:09:13 »

In any case, I'm in no position to berate people. I've done silly things that have put me at risk. A few months ago, for example, I nearly got run over at a crossing. The red man was showing, but the cars stopped. One driver looked at me expectedly. I felt embarrassed, with him waiting there and me not doing anything. The traffic was static and I was in a rush anyway. So I hastily crossed. What I didn't know was that whilst the main column had stopped, there was a motorbike filtering through. I was very nearly killed.

A NEAR MISS FOR DAWINISM!

Also, look at how boring the forums are when I'm not around. There have been hardly any posts this week.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: 2011-05-20 18:25:13 »
Strangely enough, everyone hushed up moments after I was handed the banhammer.
« Last Edit: 2011-05-20 18:29:38 by Bosola »

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2011-05-20 19:29:14 »
Strangely enough, everyone hushed up moments after I was handed the banhammer.

They must have thought that the forum had gone to the dogs.

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
    • FFVII Lost Wing Mod/Hacks
« Reply #7 on: 2011-05-20 20:16:13 »
Summertime for us northern hemispherians.  Or perhaps everyone decided to take up planking instead of lurking around qhimm. 

EDIT:  The Dos and Don'ts of Planking http://www.pedestrian.tv/arts-and-culture/news/can-people-please-be-careful-when-planking/43654.htm
« Last Edit: 2011-05-20 20:18:29 by xLostWingx »

Armorvil

• Working on : FFVII Total Grudge
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2011-05-20 22:01:34 »
Planking : the only thing to do in Australia ?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2011-05-20 22:15:45 »
Look at that camels face bottom left... it's obviously bemused that it can in fact be more intelligent than human.
« Last Edit: 2011-05-21 02:19:19 by DLPB »

Cupcake

• And then it dawned on me, that Satan is also an old fuck.
    • View Profile

Mako

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2011-05-21 03:40:54 »
Christ has returned! *Pun intended*