Author Topic: Ask Obesebear 1 million questions thread  (Read 30093 times)

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
Re: Ask Obesebear 1 million questions thread
« Reply #75 on: 2010-06-09 05:46:26 »
Intended. I think there is going to be a seperate thread in programming feedback for discussion. Game tweaking is supposed to be only about the release.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 2010-06-09 06:05:39 »
The problem is, big programs like the custom graphics driver are swamped with fix after fix after bug after discussion after fix.

Try to think of Game Tweaking as strictly for releases.. as far as programs are concerned.  Everything can't be linked in the wiki, there are just too many different ones.  There is no reason for the author to make a separate thread in programming feedback; as soon as the first person wants to discuss or report a bug with the newest version, a new thread will be made.   Problems using the programs DEFINITELY need to be kept separate.  Suggestions too.  And bug reports pretty much go hand in hand with problems.    Trying to start this in the middle of everything of course will be a clusterf*** (as I predicted :( ).  But take a look at the Black Chocobo thread in Game Tweaking.   I think it's a pretty ideal example of what a thread should look like for a program (postings only by author).   Its programming feedback thread is, of course, horrible.  However, once new versions are released, new threads will be made in programming feedback that will look much more normal.

I honestly believe this will end up working much better than the setup we've been using.  If anyone has a better suggestion (besides leaving everything as it is), please chime in!  I am more than open to input.  

Seifer, your retranslation thread will be restored since it is a project you're undertaking.  For now, all projects like yours and Bosola's Rebirth project, will keep full discussion.

Side note: Hopefully in a few days the programs will be separate from the projects and graphical mods in their own sub-forum.  

Oh also! It's not going to be a direct split from the first post.  I'm going to move back all the authors posts pertaining to changes and releases.   It will then be up to the author if he wants to delete some of them (as Sithlord did) or just leave them, makes no difference to me.  So basically, if you're making a program, feel free to quintuple post... for now
« Last Edit: 2010-06-09 06:18:59 by obesebear »

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 2010-06-09 16:50:58 »
Yeah a double post, whatevs.

Really no one has any suggestions besides having subforums for Game Tweaking?   Everyone thinks keeping Game Tweaking just available for the author is a good idea, and has complete faith it will end up working better in the long run?

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 2010-06-09 17:01:22 »
Works for me personally. Only thing i can think of which is out of your scope of abilities is to have a seperate title for people who write programs. This title is tied to the game tweaking section and only people who have this can post there. Something like Program Author. I know it can be done since Hermoor was able to post only in one area due to his 'Jesus' title.

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #79 on: 2010-06-09 18:36:10 »
if your gonna do that w/ game tweaking then i suggest renaming it to "releases" or something cause game tweaking sounds a bit loose as a section. just my 2 cent work . oh and thanks for the kind words about the black chocobo thread :)

oh and i completely agree w/ sl on limiting who can post there either way, only problem i see w/ that is new programmers putting there stuff in that section. would need to be "blessed" first so they can write there.

nikfrozty

• Cloud kicks Sephiroth's Butt Anytime
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 2010-06-09 18:43:24 »
if your gonna do that w/ game tweaking then i suggest renaming it to "releases" or something cause game tweaking sounds a bit loose as a section. just my 2 cent work . oh and thanks for the kind words about the black chocobo thread :)

oh and i completely agree w/ sl on limiting who can post there either way, only problem i see w/ that is new programmers putting there stuff in that section. would need to be "blessed" first so they can write there.
Well maybe there could be a new simple rule for new people who want to post things there like first sending PM's and showing their work in that PM to a mod and if the mod approves then he could post it there. Just a suggestion. :-X

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #81 on: 2010-06-09 19:38:55 »
that is how it would have to be done in that method..

Marc

• I hear Voices ... in my head
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 2010-06-09 21:14:41 »
Sounds good to me.

Let's see how it looks in a few weeks.

I do have to say though, you certainly aren't afraid of challenges!

edit : that also entails that all WIP be released in Programming Feedback or not ?

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 2010-06-10 01:50:05 »

The separate title would likely require admin approval, so it's a little beyond what I can do... and probably beyond what any of the admins would want to do.  So... unlikely.

As for renaming Game Tweaking to Releases, let's just wait on that.  I ran a few ideas by Qhimm on how to split it into sub-forums, so we'll have to see how he ends up splitting it.

edit : that also entails that all WIP be released in Programming Feedback or not ?
I'm not quite sure what you mean.

nikfrozty

• Cloud kicks Sephiroth's Butt Anytime
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 2010-06-10 05:26:56 »
Hey man, I've notice you moved a lot of posts by newer members asking some questions but how would they know where have it been moved?? Is there anyways they could be alerted when their posts have been moved??

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 2010-06-10 05:33:04 »
Well, you can always click your profile and view your last posts to find it. 
For NEW members there is a courtesy "This Topic has been moved to [forum]" note left behind, but only for a few hours.    New members are defined by ~5 posts or less.  If a member has over 10 posts, sorry.

Marc

• I hear Voices ... in my head
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 2010-06-13 00:41:14 »
I'm not quite sure what you mean.

Where do program WIP fit in ?  Programming feedback or game tweaking ?

Should people just post their first release in game tweaking or wait until its hit release status to post in game tweaking ?

More rethorical than anything though.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 2010-06-13 01:30:03 »
I guess it really depends on what you're doing.   If it's to create a new program from scratch, it would be Tech Related, anything such as messing with the graphics would be Game Tweaking.  It is kind of a bother to have to move threads from Game Tweaking that have new release threads.  I don't know if I'd recommend programming feedback though.  All the programs and mods will end up having plenty of individual threads (I doubt I'll feel like constantly merging them)   So if you don't mind the WIP getting lost in all that, feel free to throw it in Programming Feedback.

Hopefully projects and graphical mods will be getting their own subforum to separate them from programs.  Until that happens, wherever is fine ... within reason. 

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 2011-04-05 03:44:23 »
Ultra Necro!!

I was just browsing through here and saw the suggestion of a seperate group that is able to post in mods/tools. Is this something people are still interested in?

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 2011-04-05 03:51:27 »
Just browsing through eh?? Lies!  You saw I was looking at it first and decided to stalk me.  Fantastic..  Just fantastic.

I'm not quite following what it is you're suggesting..  A group of people? or another child board?

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: 2011-04-05 04:14:58 »
More of a need special permission to create new threads type thing.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 2011-04-06 17:39:08 »
I don't think it needs special permissions.  Since implementation I can't recall anyone creating a thread in Tools that shouldn't have.  Plus there are the occasional new members whose first post is contributing a new mod like the recent Sailor Mars thing.

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 2011-04-06 17:42:36 »
Very well, scrap that idea.