Author Topic: FFVII on Vista - cant find sound card.  (Read 2106 times)

mpk

FFVII on Vista - cant find sound card.
« on: 2011-04-05 22:15:46 »
I've been reading this series of articles on pastemagazine.com and it got me hankering to install the game and play through it again for the first time in a wee while.

I've ran into a brick wall and no amount of googling seems to find a solution. The problem is thus: the game installs fine but when I try to run either the game .exe or the config program, I get a dialog box saying "Unable to locate midi device. Final Fantasy VII requires a Windows95 compatible midi device"

I've frantically googled this numerous times and the general consensus seems to be that no one knows - posts go unanswered to, or are about Linux, or are from 2000 and have different symptoms. Bah.

Anyway, I'm running Vista with no sound card installed. I have no idea if there's a software midi device running but I'm assuming that's parcelled in with Windows. I've got an original copy of FFVII installed with the 1.2 patch and the FF7music mod, which I thought would bypass the midi but unfortunately didn't. Running in Win95 compatibility mode doesn't work either, for either config or game .exe.

Has anyone else had a similiar problem? And if so, is there an easy solution? God, I feel like my dad asking his mates down the pub if they know why his record player wont work properly...

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
Re: FFVII on Vista - cant find sound card.
« Reply #1 on: 2011-04-05 23:42:49 »
FF7 needs some sort of sound card installed or it will not run properly. My best advice is to try and find a cheap one online.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011-04-06 01:48:31 »
If you really don't want a proper soundcard for one reason or another, you can get a USB headset (MUST BE USB). Most of those act as a soundcard for themselves.

mpk

« Reply #3 on: 2011-04-06 09:11:11 »
That's excellent - thanks. I need a new headset anyway, so that's giving me excuse enough :)

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2011-04-06 15:41:52 »
May I suggest the Corsair HN1 headset. Make sure you get the USB one and not the regular audio one.