Author Topic: Just started VII on grey box  (Read 8336 times)

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
    • FFVII Lost Wing Mod/Hacks
Just started VII on grey box
« on: 2012-05-21 03:09:15 »
Playing through seven again.  Got my GSpro and my grey box hooked up.

Codes: 

All Items
Full Menu
No Exp
Enemy Hp 4x
Enemy Level 2x

Going to play through Midgar with No Exp.  At Kalm going to let levels get to 10.  At Cosmo Canyon going to let levels get to 15.  20 at Whirlwind Maze.  25 during second trip to Midgar, and that will be the max.  Going to use equipment responsibly (roughly when you actually get equipment).  Save anywhere.  Let's see what these beasts have to offer.

ajthedj747

• Looking Forward to 2017
    • View Profile
Re: Just started VII on grey box
« Reply #1 on: 2012-06-04 02:42:08 »
Sorry xLostWingx, but where can I find information on the "GSpro" and the "grey box?" IS the GS Pro a gaming mouse?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zowie-AM-GS-Pro-Gaming-Mouse/dp/B006R3JYSI

Thank you in advance.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #2 on: 2012-06-04 04:27:52 »
He means GameShark Pro and I assume the grey box refers to the original PS1 console style.

Sounds pretty easy with access to all items even if they are limited quantity. Lost number might still be difficult, though.

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2012-06-04 19:19:02 »
Haha, yeah grey box is the PS1 console.  And idk why I bothered to post this on qhimm, I must have been very bored and/or slightly inebriated.

I actually ditched this playthrough and started playing through Revisited in hopes that it would revive my interest in completing the mod.  I've been keeping notes on what changes need to be made, but I have to say it is pretty fun.  Apparently I missed quite a few things in initial data though because my characters are leveling up far too quickly.  With any luck, I will begin work on Revisited once I make it to the point where I stopped making changes ~Icicle Inn I think.

I'm going to have to check out the latest versions of WM and as some battles aren't working as intended and Aeris' weapons are not working even remotely close to the way they were designed.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2012-06-05 03:41:32 »
didnt one of the gamesharks for ps1 have a risk of screwing up yer console by forcing bits on/off? One of my TA's screws with NES assembler lots n had a rant about ps1 gamesharks :P

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2012-06-06 02:41:24 »
I don't know.  I've had the same PS1 for 10 or 11 years now and I've had my Gameshark Pro V3.1 for about 8 years and they both still work fine.  Both have exceeded the lifespans that I expected them to have.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2012-06-06 10:31:05 »
^ haha ;D but does it really mess with the fuses? it's just a program ain't it?

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2012-06-06 17:28:24 »
An original Playstation gameshark also requires a piece of hardware plugged into the machine's parallel port. When this port was removed in later models, InterAct released a new gameshark that used the memory card slot instead. In either case, it required more hardware than just a disc.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: 2012-06-06 22:51:00 »
I'm almost certain I've seen disc-only cheat devices, though. I'm pretty sure the Action Replay 2 for PS2 came with a disc-only PSOne AR - albeit with the limitation that you couldn't add new codes.

Incidentally, how exactly did those hardware GS devices work? I can guess that the disc-only AR probably provided some kind of abstraction layer for all games subsequently booted, but I don't know how you'd arbitrate memory addresses just through the serial port. Actually, I don't know much about that input port at all. Does anyone know we can access through it?
« Last Edit: 2012-06-06 22:53:43 by Bosola »

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2012-06-07 01:38:01 »
This is the Gameshark that I have.

Like I said, my PS1 and Gameshark both still work relatively well.  The only game that I've noticed some troubles with is FFIX, it takes a few extra seconds to load new fields or movies.

EDIT:  My brother once had a PS2 Gameshark which was a disc and some device that plugged into the memory card slot.  I also had a friend who had a Gameshark Lite or something like that, that was a disc-only gameshark.  Personally me and my brother went through two PS2s without using any gamshark product, apparently the lasers in the PS2s were both defective.  Bastard Sony.
« Last Edit: 2012-06-07 04:19:46 by xLostWingx »

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: 2012-06-07 11:58:24 »
Personally me and my brother went through two PS2s without using any gamshark product, apparently the lasers in the PS2s were both defective.  Bastard Sony.

Early PS2s were notorious for their build problems. They tended to overheat, causing the lens caddies to buckle, leading to the dreaded 'Disc Read Error'. You could fix them by opening up the machine and re-adjusting the hardware, but it was a pain and voided your warranty. I managed it on my faulty box only to find I couldn't reseat the drive's data ribbon. Another three hundred quid down the drain.

ajthedj747

• Looking Forward to 2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2012-06-09 06:20:31 »
Early PS2s were notorious for their build problems. They tended to overheat, causing the lens caddies to buckle, leading to the dreaded 'Disc Read Error'. You could fix them by opening up the machine and re-adjusting the hardware, but it was a pain and voided your warranty. I managed it on my faulty box only to find I couldn't reseat the drive's data ribbon. Another three hundred quid down the drain.
Is that so? I always liked at least how the first model of the Playstation 2 looked compared to my PS2 Slim.

Jenova's Witness

• Right Wing Safety Squads
  • I ♥ SCIENCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2012-06-15 21:51:52 »
« Last Edit: 2015-11-16 10:04:16 by Jenova's Witness »

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #14 on: 2012-06-15 23:56:07 »
Fun Fact: They never actually removed the expansion port from most PS1s.  They just covered them up.  You can open your PS1 up and take a look, and maybe saw an opening in, before you screw it back together.

Really? Even on the re-designed 'PSOne' models (the smaller ones that came out in the console's maturity)?

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2012-06-16 13:43:49 »
Fun Fact: They never actually removed the expansion port from most PS1s.  They just covered them up.  You can open your PS1 up and take a look, and maybe saw an opening in, before you screw it back together.
hmm that is very interesting, geting so curious feel like breaking mine up just to see haha