Author Topic: Buying a tower computer, FF7+mods are my main priority  (Read 5060 times)

Travis

• "I control the world with fear."
    • View Profile
Well not really my main priority.

Anyway, I'm in the market for a tower PC.

Basically, I would like something that I can have as a backup in case my laptop was to ever crap out.

Anyway my main priorities are the following in order from most to least important...

1. Budget, would like this to be cheap. Hopefully less than $500
2. Ability to play FF7 with all mods, even the super intensive ones like Team Avalanche, Tifa's bootleg (the big time ones in that pack), etc.
3. Portability

My dream here is the following and I know this will be a bit of an oxymoron.

A mini-tower (portable) that has a good CPU maybe a GPU added (ability to play ff7) with good airflow so I don't wreck the thing, that is relatively cheap.

I figured if anyone could help me, it would be you guys.

But I just want to be able to mod FF7 and be happy. My main issue with my laptop and FF7 is the fact that my CPU goes on overload and my fan goes fucking overdrive, even when it's vanilla ff7.

WolfMan

• One whos possessed by nothing possesses evrything
    • View Profile
Re: Buying a tower computer, FF7+mods are my main priority
« Reply #1 on: 2014-07-13 17:41:16 »
If ff7 is the only game you want to play then any current mini tower would do fine. Mini towers are like laptops in a way though. A lot of the components are laptop components. So upgrading is very limited.

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
    • FFVII Lost Wing Mod/Hacks
« Reply #2 on: 2014-07-14 02:56:11 »
Do you know anything about building a dekstop/tower computer from components?  That would make your $500 go a lot further.  Also, do you already own a Monitor and Peripherals (keyboard, mouse, speakers, etc.)?

If you plan on buying from a retail store, I imagine a $500 system would do you just fine...but you can do so much better by building it yourself.

Travis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2014-07-14 03:02:36 »
If ff7 is the only game you want to play then any current mini tower would do fine. Mini towers are like laptops in a way though. A lot of the components are laptop components. So upgrading is very limited.

Yea, I just want to be able to like write a paper and play FF7.

But here's the thing. Will any current mini tower be able to do FF7 with Tifa's Bootleg and Team Avalanche mods?

cmh175

• View Profile
    • Chris Hendrickson's Artstation
« Reply #4 on: 2014-07-14 03:24:48 »
You don't need a terribly powerful pc for FF7. Any quadcore or decent dualcore will do. 1gb of vram may work, but 2gb would be best. Integrated graphics aren't suggested, I'd go with Nvidia. $500 should definitely do it.

KnifeTheSky77

• Somnambulistic Paraphile
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2014-07-14 04:41:23 »
You are in luck, ff7 came out like 8 16 years ago and has very low spec requirements. Even with a bunch of mods thrown into the mix, literally the cheapest brand new computer manufactured this year will play pretty well. Protip: claim the student discount from Dell, they don't check. They also have the best budget 'tiny' computers imho
« Last Edit: 2014-07-14 04:44:26 by KnifeTheSky77 »

Travis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2014-07-14 04:53:15 »
You are in luck, ff7 came out like 8 16 years ago and has very low spec requirements. Even with a bunch of mods thrown into the mix, literally the cheapest brand new computer manufactured this year will play pretty well. Protip: claim the student discount from Dell, they don't check. They also have the best budget 'tiny' computers imho

Well I am a student.

Can anyone suggest one with a link?

Also, that shit will run Tifa's Bootleg no problem...?

WolfMan

• One whos possessed by nothing possesses evrything
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2014-07-15 21:14:54 »
Do you need a monitor as well

Travis

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2014-07-16 05:48:12 »
No I don't need a monitor. I have a 22 inch tv.

Also, theres no disc drive on that is there?