Author Topic: Is there a way to convert FF8 PC to PSX saved games?  (Read 3745 times)

Anonymous

I am like 30 hours into Final fantasy 8 for the PC, and I am not sure why, but it always crashes when I go to Balamb when it is under Galbadia occupation. I really want to beat the game, but I can't if I can't beat this part. I am tempted to break down and buy a PS2 and a dexdrive, if I can continue to play with my saved game. Does anyone know if I can convert my file?

thanks!

Anonymous

Is there a way to convert FF8 PC to PSX saved games?
« Reply #1 on: 2001-07-03 03:13:00 »
No.
Try software mode.
Or call tech support.

ficedula

• View Profile
    • http://www.ficedula.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: 2001-07-03 03:34:00 »
Au contraine. I believe that the PSX and PC savegames are in fact the same format. This is because:

-Griever can edit PSX games, so they must be similar
-I've looked at a PSX and a PC savegame in my hex editor, and they look damn near identical  :wink:

All you need is some way of getting the data from your PC onto a PSX memory card. Dexdrive is one way, or if you're comfortable with wiring cables up yourself, you can rewire a parallel (printer) cable into a memory card adaptor for your PC. Once that's done you're sorted.

The only thing to be wary of is that the PC saves are compressed. If you need to uncompress them my website's got a tool (FFLZS) that can decompress them so they're compatible with the PSX.

However: while it is possible it's a very longwinded, expensive way to get around a crash! Unless there's another reason you want to run on a PSX/PS2 then I'd recommend trying to solve the crash issue  :)   (Have you updated FF8 to v1.2? Tried turning options off in the config? etc.)

Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: 2001-07-03 22:45:00 »
Yeah, I've tried software rendering, running at quarter screen, I reformatted, and I tried it without my game controller. I'm going to try a few more things before I give up, but I am rather discouraged.. I tried e-mailing Edios support like a month and a half ago, and I never got a response...

ficedula

• View Profile
    • http://www.ficedula.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: 2001-07-04 02:17:00 »
Well, you could get a cooperative friend to install FF8 so you can play that part. I had to do that when I got FF7; it *always* crashed at the end of disk 2. So I got a friend to install FF7, and I just played the crucial 15 minutes on his PC, then saved. Often it is just *one* point; if you can get past that point you're sorted...

Anonymous

« Reply #5 on: 2001-07-04 03:49:00 »
Yeah. I was thinking it is probably something like that. I have another computer, but it was SUPPOSED to be a dedicated linux box... I suppose I could taint it with windows and play through this part on it.. Setting up windows would be a bit of a pain. I was just thinking about getting a PS2 anyway since it looks like FF9 and FF10 will not be released on the PC... I'm going to fiddle with it some more since I am almost through Shenmue...

Anonymous

« Reply #6 on: 2001-07-04 23:15:00 »
^^; Those guys'll NEVER answer your mail.
^.^ Everytime I call them they usually seem pretty nice, though...