Author Topic: ohh... my... god.... HELP!  (Read 12128 times)

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
ohh... my... god.... HELP!
« Reply #25 on: 2002-10-19 04:50:28 »
Hmm, yeah thats possible.

That means that if you left your comp off for a while, the CPU would cool down and make you think the problem was fixed for a few minutes.  Or horus.

So, the solution is obviously to get a new fan, assuming this is the correct cause of the problem.

Fans are cheap :P

J*** H*******

« Reply #26 on: 2002-10-19 05:59:09 »
Rubicant

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2002-10-19 06:16:55 »
This is probably out of the question for now, but have you tried underclocking your cpu just to get it working? I would advise to go as low clock speed as you can go and run a clean re-installation of windows. Any objections?

Darkness

• View Profile
    • http://www.x0r.net
« Reply #28 on: 2002-10-19 16:38:37 »
the heatsink was filled with dust =/

i cleaned it out... but when i removed it... one of the connectors (heatseink connector) on the socket broke... it still goes on... but it may come off some day.

im going to buy some thermal grease pretty soon. ill tell you if the comp starts working.

Darkness

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2002-10-19 22:42:01 »
alright... cleaned it out... and dint break anything :)

booted about 5 minutes ago... 105F

M0T

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2002-10-21 14:10:47 »
I cooked a cpu once just to see what would happen. It made a small smoke vapour and then i stopped. It was a new cpu so I sent the thing back to the company and they replaced it :)

The guy who thinks 9x >better than XP. Put it this way, When I ran 9x it crashed 2-3 times a week. Now I run Xp it only crashes when I put on crapped out drivers (ie detonater 40's - but those don't work anyway so who cares).

Caddberry

• View Profile
    • http://animenfo.com/
« Reply #31 on: 2002-10-21 16:09:20 »
I must say the same thing.. Windows XP is great as far as not crashing.. I used Windows 95, 98.. then 98 SE .. ME .. then XP Professional ... others before those of course.. but 98 SE still crashed on me.. usually ALOT! XP just feels so much more stable... the only problem i have been having is some weird looks like RAM error messages sometimes.. but the program just closes.. (((THE COMPUTER DOESNT BLUE SCREEN!!!))) and i can start it over again.. If you say XP sucks.. you probably were running crazy drivers.. I am not saying you didnt know what you were doing.. Jesus i think in the computer world by now we would all know that is a BS statement.. sometimes you just have unexplained things happen.. there is no reason.. there is nothing you did .. sometimes it is just the unexplainable..
I also noticed that when i installed XP from a clean install my computer didnt like it at all.. it F*cked up in a few days.. and it scared me so i went back to 98 SE .. then did a fresh 98 SE install and upgraded to XP and this is the longest i have been running an OS without having to Format my computer.. I dred the day that that will happen again..

I hate Windows Media player 9 oh my god i want 8 back.. but then again it is only beta.. I also kept my FAT 32 partitions.. i dont know how well some of my games would run on NTFS.. not only that some things wouldnt install on NTFS.. ((when i did the fresh XP install i think it only let you format to NTFS..) thats probably why my computer was so screwed up..

is anyone here running NTFS?

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
« Reply #32 on: 2002-10-21 18:01:49 »
I use NTFS, its like the best thing ever.  Why do you think some games don't like it?  As long as you're running from witthin Windows XP, the file system is perfectly backwards compatible, even if you're running DOS apps.  The only downside is you can't read it off of a DOS prompt (i.e., Windows 98 boot disk) or from older OS's (Win98, certian versions of Linux...)

It doesn't fragment as much, doesn't have to CHKDSK after a crash most of the time, and has all kinds of cool security options :P  NTFS rules.

Anyway, I leave my XP on for days on end sometimes and it very rarely crashes.  I had problems with the detanotor 40 drivers, and some older det drivers (25-26 range) running in XP with crashes, but 28-30 all work fine.  And that's the only crashes I've got, pretty much, unless I do something stupid.

Darkness

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2002-10-21 20:46:52 »
alright... got an antec heatsink combo. aluminum cylanders and a 46 dB fan.

90 degrees. never higher.

Rubicant

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2002-10-23 10:10:33 »
To people that like XP:

Sorry that I talked a little smack about your OS. When I tried XP Home, I got really turned off by the fact that it repeatedly screwed me over as far as configuring my video card drivers. Of course, this was on my crappy, old, Cyrix III machine, so I guess it's not XP to blame. However, I must admit that I was impressed with it when I ran it on my p3 machine. It rarely crashed, and was generally fast. I'll give you that much. However, I like using w98 because I feel at home while using it, I enjoy being able to actually go into dos (and not just a stinkin dos prompt in windows xp). I also don't want to get too into XP until it is out for awhile. Then, people will have have experienced all the tiny little bugs and "problems". I really don't trust Micro$oft's new stuff nowadays (especially when w2k brought in remote administration. That could be very harmful to someone, if in the wrong hands)

To people that like 9x:

Fight the power! Yeahhhhh!!!

dgp9999

• View Profile
    • http://molexroots.com
« Reply #35 on: 2002-10-23 19:01:44 »
I had an IBM/Cyrix once............... ::stamps on it:: Die you evil bstard!!! You're right, they don't run anything.

92oF? You're joking? Mine norm is 47oC that 116oF. From past experience, my Athlon XP 1700+ crashes at >53oC.

Speaking of overclocking... I've overcloked my GeForce 2 Pro (originally 200mhz core, and 400mhz RAM) to 250mhz core, and 480mhz RAM. I haven't seen any noticable instability so far.

Remember my power supply problems? I got a new PSU, a 425W Heroichi. I fitted, nothing happens. I put my old 300W Macron back in........ this time attaching the 12V cable -_- I don't know if it's done anything but on the PSU it says: "3.5v+5v=160W, 3.5v+5v+12v=300W" Should it have done anything? I want to ask you people before I try to refit my ~7000rpm fan.

Smurgen

• View Profile
    • Http://smurgen.kj-soft.com
« Reply #36 on: 2002-10-24 17:37:48 »
Play Unreal Tournament 2003. That game is pretty good at showing you any overclocking instabilities

And yes Win98 rocks! though i actually never had problems with 95 at all