Author Topic: Porting the older Final Fantasys to PC  (Read 4452 times)

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
Porting the older Final Fantasys to PC
« on: 2001-07-31 10:05:00 »
I was playing the PSX chono trigger when I came across the first animated cut-scene. I didn't know that they put the video *into* the game. I though it was a bonus thing like all the other FF games. So I got thinking. Wouldn't it be cool to create an PC "port" of FF6 kind of like this. Here's how we do it.

First we take an emulator like Snes9x. Then what we do is run an install progam that takes all the chunks from the FF6 PSX cdrom and put it back togeather into a SNES rom. Any missing bits are replaced by a patch in the install program. Then the moves are ripped from the CD, hacked up by scene and put back togeather again into order. A new soundtrack is layed. Then we program Snes9x to wait for certian flags and play the appropite video at that time. Hows it sound?

eerrrr

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2001-07-31 12:09:00 »
Yeah, that would be cool. On the CD are the movies just in an option that you kind of unlock as you play the game? Cos would they fit into the scenes of the game easily? I havent played it so I wouldnt know. I'd like to help but I'm no good at programming.

Joey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2001-07-31 13:07:00 »
........I like the original SNES version better..........

halkun

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 2001-07-31 13:50:00 »
The movies are bonus stuff you get from beating the game. When I first saw the FF6 CD case they show the CG picture of celese throwing the fowers from the balcony. So I played the game Up to the opera house so I can see that scene. I got there, did the whole scene, and no video. I was very disappointed so I ripped the movies to see when they fit in. It turns out that it's just the opening, ending, and an extra one if you beat the game in so many hours. Togeather the ending movies are about 10 minutes long. You will nedd to rip the moves, cut them up by scene, stick them togeather in order, and redo the sound as there is no sound effects, just opera music.
So the Install program will work like this.

1) Ask for the PSX FF6 CD.
2) Put all the data files back into order and convert any graphics if neccasary.
3) Whatever is left over patch to turn it into a Japanese ROM with english text (We need the FF6 logo, not the FF3 one with the nintendo crap)

4) Rip the Movies and convert them into something you can cut an insert scenes into and out of. Like an AVI made entirely out of single-fram bitmaps.

5) Cut it into the scenes such as 1) Tina and the magiteck solders invading Narshe. 2) Koltz Moutan(Mash), 3)King edgar 4) the coin flip 5) The opera;
{three scenes, a) one of celece geting ready and you see locke coming in from the background b) her running down the hall c) her throwing the flowers}

6)shadow 7)seltzer 8) celes on the solotary island's beach 9)The ending with kafuka

I think I got all the scenes...

Reznor007

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/ninninetynine
« Reply #4 on: 2001-07-31 23:32:00 »
You have a few of the names wrong though  :) (unless you are using the Japanese names, but I don't know them).

Tina is Terra
Kafuka is Kefka

Just thought I'd point that out  :)

halkun

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 2001-08-01 00:14:00 »
Those are the Japanese names. Tina was always a better name then Terra. Siban's real name is Mash

[This message has been edited by halkun (edited July 31, 2001).]

Reznor007

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/ninninetynine
« Reply #6 on: 2001-08-01 09:17:00 »
I thought Terra was better, becuase it means earth/ground. (I also don't like the name Tina in general  :))

MMiller8

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2001-08-02 06:07:00 »
This reminds me...
     I was just recently going through my back copies of PC Gamer, and I ran across a very small tidbit of info on how not only was square going to port 7, but 6, 5, and 4 also.  I could give you the exact issue if I wasn't so lazy, but I am that lazy.  If you go looking for it, it would be in the back of the Eyewitness section.  I assure you that it's there, but they must have gotten misinformation or something.  (sigh)