Author Topic: game crashes at north corel  (Read 7918 times)

pobat

game crashes at north corel
« on: 2004-06-11 23:39:24 »
im having  problem at north corel.  i cant get to the gold saucer using the ropeway.  whenever i try, the game would crash.  
i would appreciate if somebody is willing to download my save file below and take me past that point and save at the next available save point, then finaly send it back to me.

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/ff_vii/files/

You will need to sign in on a yahoo account create one if you dont have one, then join this group.

thanx

Dreakon

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2004-06-12 00:46:39 »
What settings do you have the game on?  If you are playing on Direct3D try using Software Renderer for just this section.  I remember once when I got an error thats all I needed to do to get by it.

It's best to get this stuff fixed now so you dont have to do this whenever you run into a crash.

Relf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2004-06-12 02:52:18 »
This is after reocket town?

pobat

« Reply #3 on: 2004-06-12 03:26:31 »
ive already tried using software renderer.  same hing still happens.  ive tried it with and without the patches installed, ive tried it with  95/98/me/nt4.0/2000 compatibility mode, ive copied the movies to my harddrive and i still cant get past that bit.  

There shoud be at least two videos played at that point, the first when leaving  north corel, the second entering the gold saucer.  the game will play the first or both or none of the videos before crashing to a black screen (seems to be random)

Relf

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2004-06-12 04:06:23 »
Whats the resolution settings?

Messiah99

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2004-06-12 07:55:02 »
Try quarter screen mode, Software mode, both at once, try maximum install, maybe those'll help. Beyond that, Id say you got one hell of a pickle to get past there, never heard of that one, but then FF7 does like to crash anywhere and everywhere. Best of luck!

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2004-06-12 08:04:01 »
Actualyl, THREE videos are played...

Leaving Corel
On the way to Gold saucer
Entering Gold saucer

I suspect that the third on this list may be causing a problem.

I'd suggest putting all the FMVs on your hard drive and running them offa there.  Here's how to do it:

http://www.ff7-universe.com/Downloads/FF7Movietweak.txt

Messiah99

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2004-06-12 08:13:12 »
Quote from: pobat
ive already tried using software renderer.  same hing still happens.  ive tried it with and without the patches installed, ive tried it with  95/98/me/nt4.0/2000 compatibility mode, ive copied the movies to my harddrive and i still cant get past that bit.quote]

He already tried running the vids off the HD he said, so it may be that he has a bad copy of the videos. Try opening them with Media Player or WinAmp (whichever your preference) and see if you can play them all. If you cant, you have a bad video, beyond that and my previous post, I wouldnt know what to say.

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2004-06-12 08:23:09 »
D'oh.  Thats what I get for speed reading.  My bad.

Yeah, it's starting to sound like one movie is corupted or missing.

The files are such: D_ropego.avi (3,142 kb), Gold1.avi (19,296 kb) (only playes on,ce on your first visit), U_ropein.avi (3,051kb).  I suspect a problem with the later one.  Make sure you have these exact files, and try playing them in media player.

For the record, are you cheating at all?  Like is Sephiroth in your party or something?  Adding characters whoa ren't supposed to be in your party yet or at all sometimes screws the game up at random points and makes crashes mroe likely.

Messiah99

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2004-06-12 08:39:44 »
Haha, and the back and forth of myself and Steele continues!

As I presume youre playing with XP, if youre having a crash, try running the game as bare bones as you can (ie maximum install, movies on the HD, and ONLY the chocobo patch added) and that should keep crashes to a minimum, and if needed run in compatibility mode (but as I know nothing about that I wouldnt know, haha).

Darkdevil

• View Profile
    • Http://darkdevil177.5u.com
« Reply #10 on: 2004-06-12 08:46:23 »
Or alternatively do what I do now.....

Dual boot system with a copy of Win98.....It works WONDERS for gaming...It really does!

pobat

« Reply #11 on: 2004-06-12 17:01:26 »
The correct files are actually d_ropego.avi. gold1.avi and im assuming its d_ropein.avi.

all three videos work just fine in media player. i backed each of them up and replaced each video with dummys, but still no change. i tried  using a virtual pc using VMWARE with win 98, but still the same result.  

any more ideas?

Darkdevil

• View Profile
    • Http://darkdevil177.5u.com
« Reply #12 on: 2004-06-12 17:18:31 »
Quote from: pobat
The correct files are actually d_ropego.avi. gold1.avi and im assuming its d_ropein.avi.

all three videos work just fine in media player. i backed each of them up and replaced each video with dummys, but still no change. i tried  using a virtual pc using VMWARE with win 98, but still the same result.  

any more ideas?

Virtual "pc" is no mach for the real thing....Use an older pc?

Oh....and you ARE using legit discs arn't you?

pobat

« Reply #13 on: 2004-06-14 16:18:29 »
alright, just installed win 98 using dual boot on an older drive, but guess what, no change. tried to reinstall the game, no change.  

the disks are originals, bought them from e-bay less then a week ago, and are in a resonably good condition, and all three copy to the hard drive with no problems.  i havent got another computer to test it on.

Messiah99

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2004-06-14 18:00:53 »
Well, originals or not, you could still have bad discs, but I dont think this is the issue at this point. Ive thrown out just about everything I can think of, but if thats not helping, then someone with more experience may be of more help. (Ive only been playing FF7 on XP for a few months, some of these good people have for a good while longer, Ive just happened to come across a lot of the problems that these forums are for) Well, since I really cant do much else to help you, I will wish you the very best and hope for the sake of your gaming enjoyment that someone else here can help you solve that problem. Heres to hoping!  :D

pobat

« Reply #15 on: 2004-06-14 23:13:56 »
isnt noboy willing to download the save file that i uploaded and take me past that point?  
i assure you that its virus free.  :(  :(  :(

Messiah99

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2004-06-14 23:37:49 »
Well, I can play past that point for you if you want to take the extreme way out. But my Yahoo likes to give me problems with that kind of thing, so you'll have to find another way to get it to me. I have Yahoo MSN and AIM messengers, my names for all 3 are in my profile here, and if you have any of the three you can add me and send it to me on there, that would be the best idea, or if its possible you can email the file to my MSN address. But if you can get it to me then I'll be happy to do that for you.

LiquidIce

« Reply #17 on: 2004-06-18 22:07:29 »
I get this problem at random parts of the game too. I didn't get it there
but got in other places. My CDs are fine and the movies play in media player too.
Solution:
Rename the movie to something else like d_ropein.avi.backup. Get another movie that you know works and which is longer than the one that is not working. It has to be at least the same length as the original one, but a longer one (a few seconds is fine) should do the trick. When you get to that part you will see the other video play and it will look funny but at least you will be able to play past that point. I had to do this to more than 5 movies but now I am stuck in the end of the game.

Hope this helped and maybe you can help me. Check out my post in the General section, I need a quick advance. thanks.

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #18 on: 2004-06-18 22:25:08 »
I would convert the save game to a PSX save, run the part that's stuck under emulation, and when it's done, export and save the game as a PC save. Then continue