Author Topic: FFVII Remake Project ?  (Read 6664 times)

usman

• View Profile
FFVII Remake Project ?
« on: 2004-06-27 18:38:15 »
Hi:
What happen to FFVII Remake Project ? no news about it yet. Will it see the day light?
:)

Messiah99

• View Profile
FFVII Remake Project ?
« Reply #1 on: 2004-06-27 18:43:32 »
Well, if theres been no word for a while, and everyone else seems to be onto other things right now, safe to say that project may be on hold indefinately, if not called off yet.

ficedula

• View Profile
    • http://www.ficedula.co.uk
FFVII Remake Project ?
« Reply #2 on: 2004-06-28 20:03:01 »
Quote from: Messiah99
Well, if theres been no word for a while, and everyone else seems to be onto other things right now, safe to say that project may be on hold indefinately, if not called off yet.

Unfortunately true, I'm sure we'd all prefer the first option if possible...

There's some screenshots at http://www.ficedula.co.uk/remake/ but it hasn't been updated in months. Part of the problem is that we only had a few programmers, but mainly because we just didn't understand enough of the file formats. Still don't, for that matter, although there's some promising information being posted in the Game Tweaking forums again. Without nearly-full versions of the field file formats (and the battle/world map graphics, to a lesser extent), a new game is possible, but far far more work.

The Skillster

• Loving every Final Fantasy
    • View Profile
FFVII Remake Project ?
« Reply #3 on: 2004-06-28 22:55:42 »
yep, as long as the core program & team are still here, when we know enough about FF7 things can start rolling again  :roll:  (cough)

Messiah99

• View Profile
FFVII Remake Project ?
« Reply #4 on: 2004-06-29 04:48:23 »
Quote from: The Skillster
yep, as long as the core program & team are still here, when we know enough about FF7 things can start rolling again  :roll:  (cough)

Yea, that is true, never say die as long as theres a chance! If I knew enough about programming and the like Id help, seeing as I have zero else to do, and more free time than I can stand, haha. Sadly thats all beyond my knowledge, but if it ever does get back off the ground, I can help in any way needed, presuming nothing changes between now and then

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
FFVII Remake Project ?
« Reply #5 on: 2004-06-29 08:58:21 »
How about giving me a hand drcrypting the Field command language. I have about 5 commands done, I just need 240 more....

trickstar66

• View Profile
    • http://radicalgarbage.250free.com
FFVII Remake Project ?
« Reply #6 on: 2004-06-29 10:25:36 »
Well it seems to me you need to get the word out about this project if you want more people to join the development team. I know it's not the best idea ever but it's worth a shot. I'm sure there are plenty of other people who would be eager to do this if they knew about it. But I guess then again you could sit here and wait...  :z

halkun

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
FFVII Remake Project ?
« Reply #7 on: 2004-06-29 12:12:01 »
I'm not waiting ^_^. Every day I discover something new. It's really cool to watch the gears of the engine work. If you want, just download my PDF for Gears. I update it every day so you can see my progress. Some days I don't do much, other days I write whole chapters.

You can even guess to some of the fuctions if you want, or send me in a note on what you think something might do, or ask me a question. That will make me find out and then we are both enlightened.

http://the-afterm.ath.cx/gears

Darkdevil

• View Profile
    • Http://darkdevil177.5u.com
FFVII Remake Project ?
« Reply #8 on: 2004-06-29 13:51:31 »
Can I help with the feild commands too please?

ficedula

• View Profile
    • http://www.ficedula.co.uk
FFVII Remake Project ?
« Reply #9 on: 2004-06-30 19:25:12 »
Quote from: halkun

You can even guess to some of the fuctions if you want, or send me in a note on what you think something might do, or ask me a question. That will make me find out and then we are both enlightened.

Incidentally, how did you get an opcode list for the scripting tokens if you don't know what they all do?

Vanit

• View Profile
    • http://vanitstudios.burn.at
FFVII Remake Project ?
« Reply #10 on: 2004-07-02 04:34:18 »
Why would you remake FF7 for PC of it looks exactly the same? Or is it going to be designed so it can be easily improved or something...

PumpkinPieman

• View Profile
    • http://PumpkinPieman.blogspot.com
FFVII Remake Project ?
« Reply #11 on: 2004-07-02 07:00:21 »
I'm sure that, and it will remove the dependancy on a really bad emulated version made by eidos.

Also, more graphic card options.

halkun

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
FFVII Remake Project ?
« Reply #12 on: 2004-07-02 07:29:33 »
Quote from: ficedula

Incidentally, how did you get an opcode list for the scripting tokens if you don't know what they all do?

I asked lasyan3 this very question. He said that he had a program that *PLAYED* the field files(!) he had recieved it from someone else. Lasyan3 took apart the player and found the opcodes inside. He then wrote a program to dump the opcodes.

I'm just using his specifaction. The debug room is *AMAZING* as it exersizes all the opcodes in one way or another. That's what all the characters that do "wierd stuff" do. For example the honey bee inn girl changes the color of you windows. It's not because there's somethig screwed up with the debug room. It's because it's a function of the windowing system and they were resetting the corners.

Some blank windows arn't blank, even when you have a tiny square that can't even hold a single character. It just a quick two command display (WINDOW/MESSAGE)  to show a flag has been set.

What's even cool is that there are *DISABLED* menu sections  that with the changing of one opcode, you get a whole slew of new menus. This is really nitty gritty stuff the CD-ROM emulation check (A throw back to when you had a dev-psx that sat as an ISA card in a PC. You could emulate the CD-ROM on a hard drive's subdirectory.)

Now I only have a program that dumps the PSX scripts. It still has a buch of bugs where jumps are not quite calculated right, and some script files refuse to load. I've been going through each one of the BLACKBGx debug rooms, dumping them, and looking at the commands. Each character has a really shot script that's only about 10-20 lines long, as opposed to the opening sequence which is around 500. It's pretty asy to find out what's happening in context. I've been putting my findings in gears.

I would ADORE someone to make a PC version of the script dumper, that way all you guys can start messing with the PC script files, changing values, and seeing what changes.

In a perfect world I want to have a full script command listing in gears with arguments, kind of a "hacker's guide" the the middle with some example code.

I have the beginnings of a "cookbook" that has code snippits of common functions. (swapping characters, adding items, stopping sound, asking for a disk change, turning the menu selections on and off)

Sadly I have no way to re-insert the code back in the game as I can't seem to make an ISO of my FF7 disk. After I finish my dumping of the debug rooms, I will have to manully change hex numbers to alter the commands to see what the arguments do. That is unless a PC script dumper/reinserter is availible by then.

Quote from: Vanit
Why would you remake FF7 for PC of it looks exactly the same? Or is it going to be designed so it can be easily improved or something...

The original FF7 PC does not run on modern architectures. (WinXP for example) and is plauged with bugs. Actually, I can only say the the high-res menu module and the correct texture projection is the only redeeming factors of the PC port, and even that's not very good.

It's also an excuse to unify the PSX and PC versions. On top of this, we will need to make tools beyond this and could create editors to create custom content.

It also allows me to flex my documentation abilities. If you look at how Gears looks and how my last doc looks (The PSX documentation project) you can see a world if difference in my writing.

Anyway I have to find the code for the sailor in Matsu's room....

Neo Bahamut

• View Profile
FFVII Remake Project ?
« Reply #13 on: 2004-08-15 22:48:55 »
I just thought I'd give this topic a bump up, I've been interested in this project from the start and I've never been able to help in the past. Just recently, I've been learning how to model, so if you ever need an extra modeller, I'd love to help.

P.S. I've been doing some models on a Half Life modding project, could you guys give me some constructive critisisum, everybody in the mod team is a friend so I don't really trust their opinions...

http://img5.imgspot.com/u/04/227/23/Gun81248.jpg

And yes, I know it needs texturing.... I just really hate that part of it....

halkun

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
FFVII Remake Project ?
« Reply #14 on: 2004-08-15 23:18:40 »
It's a gun.

Was identifing the model the part I was supped to help you with? ^_^.

Neo Bahamut

• View Profile
FFVII Remake Project ?
« Reply #15 on: 2004-08-16 00:14:43 »
Lol, I was actually asking if it was any good. I made that gun ya see, and my friends don't do a very good job with the honest constructive critisism. Any tips from anyone?

Although, knowing what type of gun it is would be useful, we can't exactly just call it "pistol" in the mod...

Cyberman

• View Profile
FFVII Remake Project ?
« Reply #16 on: 2004-08-16 00:49:23 »
Quote from: Neo Bahamut
Lol, I was actually asking if it was any good. I made that gun ya see, and my friends don't do a very good job with the honest constructive critisism. Any tips from anyone?

Although, knowing what type of gun it is would be useful, we can't exactly just call it "pistol" in the mod...

It wasn't a baby born between two canons on a british flag ship... hehehe (obscure reference this is a "Son of a Gun").

I recomend looking at pistols on the Internet to get an idea for style etc. It looks a bit 'blobular' but all things considered not too bad.  It looks like a 0.45 standard pistol from Vietnam to present, without much in terms of angular shape. It could be a 9mm baretta, dunno not much of a gun freak really.

Cyb

Almighty_gir

• View Profile
FFVII Remake Project ?
« Reply #17 on: 2004-08-16 01:29:16 »
well you guys im sure u wanna get the coding sorted first, but if you like i can texture and remodel anything you want :) just drop me a line :D