Author Topic: FF7 long load times on world map  (Read 5626 times)

DaedalusEx

FF7 long load times on world map
« on: 2003-11-28 02:55:09 »
Here's my prob:

First, the game runs great, cept for this problem. Whenever I enter the world map, there is a long load time (10-15 secs at a black screen). Whenever I access the menu on the world map there is more load time (2-5 secs). When I get into a random battle on the world map, the music starts, but the screen freezes at the last frame and stays there for 10 or so seconds until it finally goes into the battle. It's not my CD drive because I tried using a mounted ISO as well and no change.

Here's my config:

Athlon 1.13, 320 sdram, radeon 8500 with the latest omega drivers installed (I have the same problem with the cat drivers too). I am using WinXP, but not the XP patch (cause that screwed up my video), but I am using the riva_tnt patch and am running in direct3d under the TNT setting.

If anyone can help me or knows how to fix this I, and others who have this problem, would really appreciate it. Thanks for your time.

Emerald Weapon

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2003-11-28 08:45:19 »
According to your specs you should easily be able to play it.
I used to have exactly the same problem as you, but I found out that it was because I didn't pick full install when I installed the game, which caused the game to read most of the info of the CD instead of the Harddisk, and than it takes way longer, could that be it?
If not, I'll keep thinking or perhaps there's someone else who can help you out on this one. Good Luck!

DaedalusEx

« Reply #2 on: 2003-11-28 12:37:47 »
Thanks a lot, that is most likly my problem because I did not do the maximum install. However, the reason I didnt do it is because I can't; my install disc has become "damaged" over the years. When I try to do full isntall, it will finish at 50% or so, and when I go to play the game it will give me data errors. I wish I knew how to fix it, cause I really don't want to buy the game again. Thanks again.

DaedalusEx

« Reply #3 on: 2003-11-30 20:14:19 »
OK, I just found out it's not the install, because the load times are minimal with the XP patch. Everything would be just peachy except the xp patch screws up my graphics. The backgrounds are just black, all you can see are the models of the characters and npcs. It also messes up some of the text. Anyway, this is rather annoying. I only need the part of the XP patch that fixes the load times...I don't want the graphic crap. Any help is appreciated.

Threesixty

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/threesixtyci/
« Reply #4 on: 2003-12-01 16:47:53 »
Virtual Ram used to be the reason for this problem (needed something like 400megs open).....don't know maybe it just likes Vram? but with 'all' the physical ram you have....wierd...wouldn't think that would be a problem...unless you turned Vram off.

You could try running the game in 'Basic' Sound-Acceleration mode. Type Dxdiag, in the run menu of windows. And go to the Sound Tab, and move the slider to basic acceleration.

Follow His Creed

« Reply #5 on: 2004-02-25 09:00:58 »
I also have a problem with loading times on the world map.  I use Windows XP, and I have a TNT 2, so I use the TNT patch.  I've always used the full install method, but my loading times are worse.  It might take ten to twenty seconds to change between the world map, and the menu screen.  If I enter battle, then it takes close to a minute, but it usually only takes about ten seconds to get back to the world map.  If I enter battle a second time, then it crashes almost every time.  It's very annoying.

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2004-02-28 05:43:34 »
Hey kids, lets have fun with hacking!

Take Disc one, and open the ff7 folder in it.  Copy everything in there into your ff7 directory.

Do the same with disc 2 and 3 (just the movies though, the rest of the information is repeatative).

Now, run regedit, and find the regestry key for ff7 (under like software/squaresoft interactive, blah blah blah).  There will be a list of directories pointed to your cd drive where the game will look for information, like movies, or the world map info (!! =D !!).  Change all these keys to point at the same folders in your ff7 directory (MAKE SURE TO SAVE BACKUPS OF THE ORIGINALS!).  Now, instead ofreading everything off your cd, the game will read all the applicable info from your hd.

I've tried this with the movies: works like  a charm ^_^

Bluetank

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2004-02-29 10:42:56 »
doesn't work.. it will only ask me to please insert final fantasy vii disc 1,2,3.

jan3sobieski

d3d
« Reply #8 on: 2004-08-17 13:58:48 »
The problem is not because of bad cd, or loading from it or anything even close to that. Try running the game in software mode, you'll see that everything works fast. I have very similar configuration to yours and up to this point i haven't found anything that would fix this problem. That's how the patch was made. I guess you can blame it on bad coding... :(

jan3sobieski

hacking
« Reply #9 on: 2004-08-17 14:01:23 »
oh, and one more thing, Emperor :)
Editing the windows registry to change the directory from which the game reads files is hardly considered hacking ;)

Magus Spirit

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2004-08-17 15:20:02 »
In order to solve the long load times problem, you simply have to set the Windows 98 compatibility mode.

xeriouxi

• View Profile
I know...
« Reply #11 on: 2004-08-17 21:30:24 »
Hi!

You want to know the problem? It's your game controller...  :wink:

xeriouxi.