Author Topic: FFVII: AC skin texture + FF Script writer that died?  (Read 3154 times)

teH2SO4

• View Profile
I'm not sure if this belongs in the other FFVII:AC topic, but I'll post it here for now...

Did anyone notice the skin texturing in FFVII:AC was a bit...amateurish? Maybe it was because of the quality of my video, but apart from that one scene when it's really zoomed in on Cloud's face when he's sleeping on the bed about 25 minutes into the film (you can see a lot freckles teehee :P), the skin seemed kinda plasticy like in FFVIII's FMV's...

Also, did anyone notice that one scene when Cloud jumps off his bike to chop the other bike hurled at him in half, if you pause the instant he's finished slicing it in half, turn your head around, and he looks strangely like Squall, when Squall's on the SeeD mission assaulting Dollet, the side view of his face with the win blowing through his hair...(sorry, this seems really vague, I'll find screenshots and upload them :))

But, if you compare the skin texturing to that in FF:Spirits Within, they seem kinda...well, as if they didn't have as much effort put into them. So, the question is, was it intentional in order to keep it more "cartoony" as such, or was it just rushed development, or is it just me being an absolute idiot? ;/

Oh, and I didn't want to make a new thread about this, but what's the name of the guy who did the storyline etc for the old FF's but didn't get involved in FFX-2 because he died? Someone mentioned it to me but couldn't give me a name, and some searching through google seemed fruitless.

Last point, did anyone notice the goof of change of swords? When Cloud's riding Fenrir to the Ajit, and after he's had his dream encounter with Aeris, he pulls out the saw-backed sword and his base sword, but when he falls off his bike he loses his base sword (that one goes flying away...bye!), and the one lying next to him which he picks up when Marlene calls his name is the blade which he holds in the bottom (the one without a handle). Once again, I'll post screenshots to clarify :P

James Pond

• Forums Grumpy Bastard....At The Best Of Times.
    • View Profile
FFVII: AC skin texture + FF Script writer that died?
« Reply #1 on: 2005-10-23 16:16:13 »
I admit that the skin textures were very..."matte" effected.. no shinyness at all.

ficedula

• View Profile
    • http://www.ficedula.co.uk
Re: FFVII: AC skin texture + FF Script writer that died?
« Reply #2 on: 2005-10-23 17:32:32 »
Quote from: teH2SO4
But, if you compare the skin texturing to that in FF:Spirits Within, they seem kinda...well, as if they didn't have as much effort put into them. So, the question is, was it intentional in order to keep it more "cartoony" as such, or was it just rushed development, or is it just me being an absolute idiot? ;/

They interviewed some of the staff in this month's Newtype USA, who said that it was intentional - originally they made it more realistic, then backed off and tried to make it more animated-like, since it wasn't (at all!) a realistic film anyway... ;)

That doesn't absolutely mean there weren't time concerns involved, of course.

teH2SO4

• View Profile
FFVII: AC skin texture + FF Script writer that died?
« Reply #3 on: 2005-10-23 19:01:40 »
Ah ficedula, thanks for clearing up, I thought it would have been a bit intentional...if you think about the quality Spirits Within was animated with, it would seem odd they wouldn't want to awe audiends with the realism of the new FFVII movie...

So it was like I speculated, they wanted to to make it seem more animated, and hence fit in the with unrealistic pyshics of the movie?