Author Topic: Greetings, questions, recommendations, and stuff  (Read 3622 times)

Amayirot Akago

Greetings, questions, recommendations, and stuff
« on: 2006-03-29 11:27:04 »
Greetings everyone! I'm new to the forums, so allow me to introduce myself; Amayirot Akago, 19 years of age, from Holland, big fan of games and anime. As of today I've finally decided to try and play through FF7 for the first time ever (so I can finally watch Advent Children :P ). Thanks to your help here, I've been able to run the game succesfully, so all you patchers out there, give yourselves a big hand ;) However, with all the add-ons and whatnots available, I'm a bit confused.

1. I've obtained the FFMusic add-on, but do I have to obtain the necessary MP3's from the OST myself? Or are they up for download somewhere ready to be used in the game?
2. Is it possible to run in another resolution than 1280x960 with the High-Res patch?
3. Are there any crucial patches/add-ons I might need to run the game succesfully, or that people can recommend me to enhance the game? I already have obtained and/or installed the following patches/fixes/add-ons:
  • 1.02 Patch
  • Chocobo Patch
  • Minigame framelimiter patch
  • FFMusic
  • High-Res Patch
  • Caith Sith/Tifa Limit Break patch
  • Movie to harddrive fix
  • Gypt YAMP[/list:u]So, thanks in advance and hello to you all!

EDIT: It seems I've run into a bit of a snag here; for some reason when I run the game, the sound from the Eidos movie plays for a short bit (with no image), then the game suddenly crashes to the desktop with no error message or anything. I've tried reinstalling, installing the 1.02 patch, the upside down movies patch, and compatibility mode, to no avail. Help!

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2006-03-30 05:43:35 »
Well, the beauty about ff7 music is that you can substitute ANY MP3s that you want; you needn't stick to the original soundtrack.  As fro where to DL the sound track, well, we don't condone any sort of piracy here, so, you're on your own.

As per your movie problem:  A) can you play it in windows at all  b) have you tried without any patches?

Amayirot Akago

« Reply #2 on: 2006-03-30 07:02:04 »
The game doesn't respond to anything I do, it simply crashes after a few seconds, unpatched or not.

Midgar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006-03-30 07:54:17 »
If you want some good MP3s go to www.ocremix.org many of their songs are better than the originals. I hated Advent Children anyways. The OST can be found in minipdf format. I believe Aaron's site has it, along with an outdated version of FFVII music. Read the thread teaching you how to do the FFVII music.

Your crashes may be caused by antivirus. Remove your internet connection, if you are not using it or are paranoid and turn off your antivirus.

Salk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006-03-30 08:59:18 »
I don't understand why people would want to change the ingame music. Its score by Nobuo Uematsu is absolutely superb! Accoding to my opinion, the best in the saga as global composition.

I am the owner of a very good MIDI card (SW1000XG) but even the Yamaha Syntherizer that comes with the game does a good job when playing the MIDI songs.

Of course we can't expect the quality of an MP3 but I consider the MIDI scores absolutely succesfull under the MIDI point of view.

Wuz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006-03-30 09:02:30 »
i find general midi sounds better than yamaha synthesizer, its just not ampy enough using the yamaha synth.

Otokoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006-04-01 02:38:32 »
Quote from: Salk
I don't understand why people would want to change the ingame music. Its score by Nobuo Uematsu is absolutely superb! Accoding to my opinion, the best in the saga as global composition.

I am the owner of a very good MIDI card (SW1000XG) but even the Yamaha Syntherizer that comes with the game does a good job when playing the MIDI songs.

Of course we can't expect the quality of an MP3 but I consider the MIDI scores absolutely succesfull under the MIDI point of view.

You kind of answered your own question.  I like the original music also, but Eidos decided to use crappy midi files when porting it over.  I have the original soundtrack, and it does sound much better with high quality ripped Mp3s using FFMusic.

Amayirot Akago

« Reply #7 on: 2006-04-04 05:12:20 »
Yep, that's it indeed. Instead of the inferior MIDI music I prefer using the better sounding MP3 music. Also, I've - ahem - obtained the full 4 CD FF7 soundtrack album, so I'm all set. All that's left is renaming and editing the files for use with FFMusic.

Anyways, still haven't solved the crashing problem, but I believe the problem is caused by one or more codecs I have installed that are somehow conflicting with TrueMotion. I have already tried uninstalling/reinstalling the codec, to no avail.

EDIT: Yay, fixed it! Disabling AVI support on the Haali Media Splitter solved the problem.