Author Topic: Idea For FF7 Modding  (Read 3156 times)

shingouki

Idea For FF7 Modding
« on: 2008-04-01 06:11:33 »
Hi me and my friend had an idea the moment we found out that FF7 had become moddable. We were thinking of redoing the background images of FF7 with more Hi-Res versions with more or less of the same feel. Is there any way we might be able to access or edit these files as of to date? Just curious.

obesebear

• View Profile
Re: Idea For FF7 Modding
« Reply #1 on: 2008-04-01 07:05:53 »
You can extract them from the game, but after you raise the resolution the game engine will no longer accept them.  Feel free to try though, who knows maybe you'll figure out something.

shingouki

« Reply #2 on: 2008-04-01 17:44:46 »
What tools would I use to extract the files?

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008-04-01 18:48:09 »
Hmmm I'm not quite sure, but i remember reading a post on here where it had been done.  Thats how they figured out you couldn't make the background graphics any higher.   I know the program Loveless can view the background, maybe it can extract it as well?

Dias Flac

« Reply #4 on: 2008-04-01 18:51:41 »
The program Aeris can extract and display field backgrounds, but all the links to it are dead.

shingouki

« Reply #5 on: 2008-04-01 23:57:06 »
Ah I found a working version of the program but I'm not sure how to repaste in my edits. I figured out a method that could be used to some degree based on the rules that obese stated with increasing resolution. Basically all of the pictures have a static resolution. And once the pictures were placed in the game, it seems that some sort of graphical in the PSX redoing changes how the picture looks, and starts to make it grainy. You see this a lot in stuff like windows 95 games when u at tab, etc. So using the original grainy picture, I tried to start "smoothing out" the grains on parts that could be considered solid colors and hopefully produce a more pleasing looking result when stretched in the game. I'll try to post up some pictures of this soon. There's only 2 problems with it so far.

A) I don't know how to repost it in the game to see my actual result.
B) As being done by hand it is reallllly tedious.

After I show you guys pictures of the method I"m using and the before -> after maybe a better method of doing it can come about? I'll try to keep this area updated. Laters!