Author Topic: What's the difference between the Retail and Ultima editions of FFVII  (Read 14234 times)

Trenholm

• View Profile
Just out of curiosity really.  What's the difference for the people making mods that makes it create bugs and whatnot?  Other than the fact one is pirated I mean.

Satoh

• Assuming this statement is correct, I'm alive.
    • View Profile
Aside from the fact that one is pirated and will not be supported in any way on Qhimm you mean?

Cupcake

• And then it dawned on me, that Satan is also an old fuck.
    • View Profile
well, it has a bunch of patches included with it, some working, some not, often times it's compressed to a DVD, and all the movies are of a MUCH lower bitrate, those are the ones I can think of

Trenholm

• View Profile
Interesting.  I remember getting ultima edition a while back when I lost my discs and couldn't even get it to work, let alone getting mods to work.  I found my discs last year (Thankfully in good condition) so now I can enjoy the great, although small, modding community.

LJH

• View Profile
I used it at one point and actually had no trouble running mods on it (HP/damage limit breaks and hardcore mod). I did however pick up an official copy since, to ensure more compatibility for other mods I may want at some point.

Satoh

• View Profile
Best advice:

Don't bother with ultima edition.

More people probably have other versions of pirated FF7 if they don't own the game legally anyway.

Target the legit copies, you'll have the best compatibility that way.

Aurenasek116

• View Profile
That's a lie actually. Pirated games are as good as originals as long as they aren't modified (Ultima edition has modified executables which causes problems with compatibility) so if you really have to get pirated copy, make sure it's not Ultima edition. Of course if you want to stay legal, then buy the game instead of pirating it.

Trenholm

• View Profile
Well I own physical discs of the game, but I have the images backed up because their condition is getting worse and worse.  What can I say, I didn't treat CD's the greatest in my youth.  Right now my original discs sit in the original oversized case and I only use the images to play now.  There's really no downside here.  Also helps the gameplay to FMV delay to be almost nonexistant since there's no having to spin up the disc.

Satoh

• View Profile
That's a lie actually. Pirated games are as good as originals as long as they aren't modified (Ultima edition has modified executables which causes problems with compatibility) so if you really have to get pirated copy, make sure it's not Ultima edition. Of course if you want to stay legal, then buy the game instead of pirating it.

I wasn't saying that pirated copies aren't as adequate as normal CDs, in some ways they are a better way to play the game.

What I was saying, is that Ultima users are vastly in the minority compared to people using directly ripped images and original discs. Making mods for the original, is the best way to get compatibility since a large number of pirated copies are simply copies of the discs someone uploaded somewhere.