Author Topic: Battle with a Virus  (Read 6901 times)

Mirenheart

• Pone
    • View Profile
Battle with a Virus
« on: 2010-07-19 03:52:42 »

Okay, who has had a recent (within the last 6 months) tangle with a computer virus? My most recent was a couple hours ago, against this IM virus that's popping up on Yahoo chat. thankfully, i got rid of it and all 303 other infections on my PC. (thankfully, there is nothing truly important on my laptop. just a bunch of games)

How bout you guys? You had any problems?

Millenia

• wireframe
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
Re: Battle with a Virus
« Reply #1 on: 2010-07-19 04:06:41 »
Never been infected and I've been roaming the internets since 1997 :P

Furzball

• Furzball happens...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010-07-19 06:03:11 »
I drop my pants to the intranetz literally and figuratively. My computer gets so many viruses. But at this point it's my old computer that I use to surf the web and put stuff on CD's or mem drives. Zack project on memdrive and cd. Usually I'll get to the point where something breaks or it is going so slow that I just wipe it all and start anew.

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010-07-19 14:37:14 »
I deal with viruses on a day to day basis (computer repair and all)

Annoying buggers those are... Anyway. I myself caught my first PC virus in 2002 with Windows XP (before SP1) and it wasnt me who caught it. Just my mom who i had to clean up after haha.

Since i bought my very first PC (2005) never had a virus. So me personally. Never had a virus :D

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010-07-19 14:39:31 »
BEST ANTIVIRUS EVAR!

I've never had any serious virus problems; I've had a couple of Trojans during my time, but I cleared them up quickly and I only got them because of my utter stupidity. Exactly how people can still get large numbers of viruses these days is a mystery to me. Are they spending all day downloading Russian CP from Limewire?

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #5 on: 2010-07-20 00:29:56 »
I'm getting the random "Symantec picks up it's own quarantined files" error right now. It's a little frustrating. I know where it came from, but I can't trace it back to the program that's re-spawning them.

The only viruses I've been infected with are the ones I've allowed to infect my systems. Yes, I mean allowed. As in I knew it was a virus before-hand and I wanted to see how it works and how to stop it.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010-07-20 00:32:10 »
The only viruses I've been infected with are the ones I've allowed to infect my systems. Yes, I mean allowed. As in I knew it was a virus before-hand and I wanted to see how it works and how to stop it.

Did you do that in a VM?

Cupcake

• And then it dawned on me, that Satan is also an old fuck.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010-07-20 02:21:59 »
yeah...  I don't have virus issues...  I run Windows XP SP3, with a copy of Malwarebytes, Avast Home, and Common Sense.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #8 on: 2010-07-20 03:49:09 »

Did you do that in a VM?

Nope. ;)

But I haven't been infected with a virus yet that I couldn't stop. :D

Masa-Buster

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2010-07-20 04:13:54 »
Only virus I ever got was trojens, but thats because I was using Kasperky and as soon as I reinstalled Norten it was all good. Then i got a few trojens few monthes ago but they couldn't do anything rofl. They were in my comp but Norten kept blocking them >.> Other than that I've been clean most of my internet life

Cupcake

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2010-07-20 04:44:17 »
reinstalled Norton

...why would you have Norton in the first place?

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2010-07-21 02:10:18 »
I GOT NORTON!

No good reason. Even if you pirate it and don't pay a cent, you're getting a subpar antivirus of bloatware and outdated definitions.

« Reply #12 on: 2010-07-21 06:26:33 »
My most recent was a couple hours ago, against this IM virus that's popping up on Yahoo chat.

On Yahoo?  I've been having a ton of problems with my Yahoo account 'n' all.  I'd get messages 20 minutes later from when they were originally sent, I'd get these bizarre "error" messages in my inbox AND some of the times I can't even log into my Yahoo account -- it'll either ask me for my password multiple times or won't let me log in at all. 
I wonder if any of this is related...  AND on top of all this, I recently reinstall XP soon after all of this Yahoo crap started happening to me because it was overthrown by some... EVIL FORCE...!  Dun dun duuuun!

Cupcake

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2010-07-21 08:37:27 »
I GOT NORTON!

No good reason. Even if you pirate it and don't pay a cent, you're getting a subpar antivirus of bloatware and outdated definitions.

When I wipe my HDD on this here EeePC, I deal with all the crapware and use the restore partition that was on it when I got it.  Norton is always the first thing to go

yoshi314

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2010-07-22 14:20:12 »
haven't seen a virus since 2004 at home. i've seen a few when fixing some pc's.

they have gotten much more clever. but not enough clever ;)