Author Topic: PS3 hacker gives up  (Read 3570 times)

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
PS3 hacker gives up
« on: 2010-07-14 14:53:09 »
Geohot says that he has given up on hacking the PS3, and his blog is now invite only.

I suspect that this is actually nothing to do with him giving up and everything to do with Sony threatening him or paying him off.

Cloudef

• View Profile
Re: PS3 hacker gives up
« Reply #1 on: 2010-07-14 15:37:41 »
Nah, Geohot simply lacks the skills. It is even questionable if those Apple hacks are fully his own. Anyways, I'm not even interested in PS3 hacking anymore since Sony dropped the Linux support, even if you could get it back.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #2 on: 2010-07-14 19:30:57 »
Some people just don't have what it takes. Like me. I'm not going to waste my time hacking a PS3 when I can hack any PC I want. Seriously, why even bother messing with a console like that? Play imports? It'd probably be cheaper and less warranty-voiding to buy a PS3 from the desired region. I once thought about modding my PS2 but gave up on that.

BlitzNCS

• Master of nothing in particular
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #3 on: 2010-07-14 19:45:35 »
PS2 modding's relatively easy. For the old Phat ones, all you need is a screwdriver, 5 minutes of your time, some discs and a piece of plastic you can make yourself. Then you can boot imports, backups and use any hex codes you want. It's actually almost as easy with the thin ones, too. Although, If you want to install a ps2 mod chip yourself, you're screwed. I wasted good money on a mod chip, got out my soldering kit the day it came, took apart the PS2, realised you need to be 43 times smaller than you actually are and have a micro-sized soldering iron to actually solder it, and then in putting the PS2 back together, I pulled out the cable which connects up the buttons, so I basically broke it in the end. ugh.
« Last Edit: 2010-07-14 19:49:03 by NCS »

yoshi314

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010-07-14 21:14:23 »
Nah, Geohot simply lacks the skills. It is even questionable if those Apple hacks are fully his own. Anyways, I'm not even interested in PS3 hacking anymore since Sony dropped the Linux support, even if you could get it back.
perhaps. but nobody came up with his way of hacking the ps3.

now hackers have full hypervisor dump which might push things forward.

hotdog963al

• Horse
    • View Profile
    • Horse HQ
« Reply #5 on: 2010-07-14 22:21:11 »
I was holding off updating for this... well, until my brother updated it while I was out (for RDR).

Guess it doesn't matter now :)

Cupcake

• And then it dawned on me, that Satan is also an old fuck.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010-07-14 22:50:45 »
Seriously, why even bother messing with a console like that?

To know you have the ability to do what you want with hardware that you own.  Not what Sony tells you that you can do with hardware that you own.