Author Topic: Reading original jap-FF7 limit breaks - request  (Read 3089 times)

Shademp

• View Profile
Reading original jap-FF7 limit breaks - request
« on: 2010-11-25 17:59:37 »
When you defeat 1000 enemies using Cait Sith he gains two glitchy Lv3 Limit Breaks.
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJWsLZDU_gU

This 'glitch limit break' was removed in all later versions.
I am interested in knowing if any other glitchy/incomplete limit breaks exist in the original japanese FFVII, whether they be accessible via defeating enemies or using a limit a set number of times.

Also, exact data on how the limit gauge growth depends on damage would be nice. The gauge growth for Cait Sith's third limit break is extreme, requiring tens of times his max HP in order to fill up to max.

Any help is appreciated. Keep in mind that I do not know a single word of Japanese so any advice that requires this will be of no use. I am also not a hacker or a programmer of any sort.

Note: Posted in General rather than Tech Related as this question does not relate to any program or mod which I know about.
« Last Edit: 2010-11-25 20:05:11 by Shademp »

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
Re: Reading original jap-FF7 limit breaks - request
« Reply #1 on: 2010-11-25 19:21:02 »
There's a section of http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/197341-final-fantasy-vii/faqs/36775 about half way through that explains limit damage info. Cait Sith's factor values still exist but I'm not sure what they are (Use WallMarket to find out). The "kill count" for Cait Sith's limits is at -1 so technically you shouldn't be able to get that high. If you DO try to get limits that high (I've done it before with save game editors) it'll try to use attack 255 which is technically a blank attack and it'll do nothing and say you don't have enough MP regardless of how much you do have. I never looked into why that happens since it shouldn't ever require more than 255 MP to do anything. There has to be another check somewhere saying you can't perform the spell (probably the lack of animation info) and the game just defaults to the "Not enough MP" message if it can't perform an attack.

Shademp

• View Profile
Re: Reading original jap-FF7 limit breaks - request
« Reply #2 on: 2010-11-25 19:56:14 »
I am fairly certain that it was on the 1000th kill Cait Sith got his limit break here, though I can go back and check if in fact it was the 999th kill. *using Master Tonberry's Everyone's Grudge attack formula* I have old save files to check this.
Edit: Yes, it is definitely on the 1000th kill Cait Sith earns his Lv3 limit breaks. Don't know what else to say about that.

When I used Mime to mimick the failed Limit Break, due to lack of MP, what happened was that no action was performed. The game essentially freezes because it's waiting for Cait Sith to perform an animation which doesn't exist, and here the game does not resort to the "Not enough MP" message. What's interesting though is that the standard 'Limit surge' animation was not performed when I used Mime.

It is not unheard of that an attack requires more than 255 MP.
See GarlandTheGreat's video on Rare Enemy Attacks, at the beginning he makes an enemy perform an attack that requires 65535 MP.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YVU6gHtkyY

But I am honestly more interested in finding out if other Glitch Limits like these exists in the original japanese release. Since I'm not up to the task of killing thousands of monsters with every character and trying out every limit an insane amount of times, I thought there might be a way to read the game's files and figure this out the easy way.
« Last Edit: 2010-11-26 13:09:36 by Shademp »