Author Topic: FF7 black screen, cannot start a new game  (Read 5214 times)

xzavian

FF7 black screen, cannot start a new game
« on: 2011-01-01 13:44:16 »
When I start FF7 I get a black screen (no sound), after pressing enter I get to the "new game/continue" menue. After selecting "new game" the screen goes black (no sound) and I get nowhere, I think the game freezes.
I have the 1.02 patch, I've tried running the game in compatibility mode but it still won't work. I've tried reinstalling and switching between different settings in the config menue but without any luck. I have the same issue when running the game unpatched. I have searched the forums but the only thing I could really confirm was that as far as I know I have no AVI splitter activated.

Operating system: Vista 32-bit
CPU: Intel X9650 quadcore 3.00GHz
RAM: 4GB
Free disk space on the hard drive where the game is installed: 100GB
Video Card: Radeon HD 5850, 10.7 driver
Video RAM: 1GB
Sound Card: Soundblaster X-fi titanium

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
Re: FF7 black screen, cannot start a new game
« Reply #1 on: 2011-01-01 13:48:57 »
You can install YAMP with GyptInstant which allows you to skip FMVs by pressing HotKeys. Some peoples had the same problem, resolved by that way. Just try it. GyptInstant is available here

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #2 on: 2011-01-01 14:14:51 »
do you have ffmpeg installed , aali's driver needs that to play the videos..

xzavian

« Reply #3 on: 2011-01-01 14:20:53 »
You can install YAMP with GyptInstant which allows you to skip FMVs by pressing HotKeys. Some peoples had the same problem, resolved by that way. Just try it. GyptInstant is available here
Well, I dont want to skipp the FMV, I want to watch them ;D
do you have ffmpeg installed , aali's driver needs that to play the videos..
I dont know, but I cannot use aalis custom graphics drivers since I cannot get any save files.
« Last Edit: 2011-01-01 14:23:14 by xzavian »

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #4 on: 2011-01-01 14:38:22 »
get the new version of aali's driver, it does not need any save files. that was a bug in one release. get the newest 0.7.9. if you still can't use aali's driver then be sure you install the video codec included on the ff7 install disk (think its the truemotion codec)

xzavian

« Reply #5 on: 2011-01-01 16:41:32 »
I used GyptInstant with YAMP and managed to get the game going. After that I installed the custom drivers and now even the FMVs are working fine ;D