Author Topic: Modding and hardware question  (Read 2979 times)

Rider of Pyrn

Modding and hardware question
« on: 2011-02-10 19:02:23 »
 I'm running xp pro with a radeon 9800se. 1 gig of ram and to my dismay have found through numerous failed attempts that I can't run even half of the wonderful mods here.
 SO...
What I'd like is to know what hardware do I need to run them flawlessly?
In particular Team Avalanche's graphical overhaul with Aali's driver.
Unless anyone here has any Success stories with XP pro and ATI Radeon 9800SE...  then wth did you do?
If this has been covered already,multiple searches have found nothing on my end. (neither here nor Google)
Thank you in advance.

Aali

• View Profile
Re: Modding and hardware question
« Reply #1 on: 2011-02-10 19:25:22 »
Is your resolution 640x480, 1280x960 or 1280x1024?
If not, try one of those.

The game itself is not very demanding even with the fancier mods, scaling on the other hand can be very taxing on low-end cards.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011-02-10 19:32:23 »
I've never heard of anyone having problems with their hardware not coping with the mods. Then again, your GPU is prehistoric.

You should be able to easily run this with any $50, 512MB graphics card from newegg (or your county's equivalent); I've run the game flawlessly with the graphics overhaul in a laptop using a GeForce 9600M GT. I don't see your RAM being a problem, but maybe it would be better to upgrade that a little, if for no other reason than making your whole system run better. 2GB should do the trick.

Frankly, however, if your rig is that old you'd be better off building a completely new one. You can probably cannibalise your old HDD, RAM and case, so it would take less than $500 for you to build a system that will easily cope with the game and feel far more responsive.

Rider of Pyrn

« Reply #3 on: 2011-02-10 20:05:03 »
Is your resolution 640x480, 1280x960 or 1280x1024?

I've tried every resolution to no avail.

scaling on the other hand can be very taxing on low-end cards

I've never heard of anyone having problems with their hardware not coping with the mods. Then again, your GPU is prehistoric.

You should be able to easily run this with any $50, 512MB graphics card from newegg (or your county's equivalent); I've run the game flawlessly with the graphics overhaul in a laptop using a GeForce 9600M GT. I don't see your RAM being a problem, but maybe it would be better to upgrade that a little, if for no other reason than making your whole system run better. 2GB should do the trick.

Frankly, however, if your rig is that old you'd be better off building a completely new one. You can probably cannibalise your old HDD, RAM and case, so it would take less than $500 for you to build a system that will easily cope with the game and feel far more responsive.

Yeah that's the whole Idea   :D
Ive seen some of the fails on here about the ati cards. Just wondering about a headache free rig  :wink:
Motherboard,processor and Video card especially
with tax returns just around the corner the intention was to upgrade to something with less of an annoyance factor.
I love ff7 and really like what you guys have done here.

If it's running smoothly for you and it's not too much of an annoyance,I'd love to see what kind of setup you guys are running.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2011-02-10 20:14:55 »
If it's running smoothly for you and it's not too much of an annoyance,I'd love to see what kind of setup you guys are running.

I imagine that most people who'd respond to this thread would have far more powerful PCs than are necessary to play the game. If this is the case, we might mislead you into thinking you need powerful hardware to run FF7. You don't.

Personally I have an MSI P55-CD53 motherboard, an i5 750 processor and a Radeon 5670. It wasn't built with gaming in mind, but it's far more than enough to play the game with no problems. I can play it and record 1440x1080 video with Fraps with only a minor FPS hit. The PC cost about £600. As I said before, I've played the game flawlessly in on a less powerful machine (a laptop, no less). Pretty much anything you can buy today should be able to handle the game.

Rider of Pyrn

« Reply #5 on: 2011-02-10 22:22:03 »
 my sincere thanks.