Author Topic: Basque translation of Final Fantasy VIII  (Read 2139 times)

lowena

• View Profile
Basque translation of Final Fantasy VIII
« on: 2013-01-12 11:53:45 »
Hello everyone! I have started work on translating my favorite game of all time into my favorite language of all time (those would be Final Fantasy VIII and Basque if you aren't keeping track). :D I just started today, so I'm probably only 1% done (if that), but I plan to complete it. I am very determined to.

Most of you have probably never even heard of Basque, so I'll explain it a bit.

It's a language spoken in northern Spain and southern France by about 1 million people. Although it has few speakers, it has great vitality and has TV shows, music, movies, and books in it. But sadly, no video games! Almost every Basque speaker speaks Spanish too (or French in France, but only about 50,000 or so of that one million are in France), and since there are so few speakers, no one to this point has cared to translate a game into it. Basque has a pretty big internet presence, with programs like Firefox and uTorrent available in it, as well as Facebook, YouTube, and Google Translate. It is a language isolate, meaning it is unrelated to any living language (or dead, as far as we can tell).

I am an American, and not related to the Basques by ancestry, but fell in love with their language and culture several years ago. Now I speak it quite well, and am interested in translating games into it, since learning languages and gaming have been two of my hobbies for a long time.

Here are a couple screenshots of what I have done so far.

If there are any Basque gamers out there, I would love to get some help with translating and/or proofreading!

I wrote this in English to make it more accessible, and I wasn't sure if you're allowed to use other languages on the forum. If it's allowed, I'll write something in Basque so that Basque speakers could find this more easily. :)

Agur! Bye!
« Last Edit: 2013-01-12 12:45:44 by lowena »

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
Re: Basque translation of Final Fantasy VIII
« Reply #1 on: 2013-01-12 23:47:21 »
So it works for ps version as well! I'm glad to see that! huh! :D

lowena

• View Profile
Re: Basque translation of Final Fantasy VIII