Author Topic: The Best Materia Order  (Read 10538 times)

twitch

• View Profile
The Best Materia Order
« on: 2005-10-04 12:59:20 »
I was playing ff7 one day when I wondered what could be the best materia constuct. Currently, I have the same materia order for all 3 characters such as the following:

Wpn:{MPabsrb+MasterSummon} {MPturbo+KOR} { FinalAttck+Phoenix} {QuadraMagic+MasterMagic}

Arm: {W-Summon+MasterCommand} {MegaAll+Counterattck} {HPplus+Speedplus}

Note: Weapons are all ultimate therefore has 8 materia slots. Armor used such as esort guard, mystile has 6 slots.

The problem I get with the materia order (above), is:
1. I don't get 4xcut although I have Master command. The attack command is replaced by slash all, which IMHO is just not cool. (Vincent using slash all?)

2. The mega all materia screws up some actions. For instance, when I use cure 3 (it's supposed to effect all characters and cast 4 times due to Quad magic and MegaAll), it will only cast for one character for 4 times although the cursor shows up on ALL characters. WTF?

3. I really want to have enemy skill, but can't decide which slot to substitute.

Assuming we have 14 paired slots, what will be the Ultimate materia construct for the characters? (Espescially the remedy for problem 2)

Talran

Hmmm
« Reply #1 on: 2005-10-05 11:54:49 »
Stick to using customised materia setups for each character, there really isnt just one template that you should use.... seeing your intrest in normal magic though I suggest [Master magic + Quad Magic] [Master magic + MP absorb] and W-magic.... Try the F-Atk Pheonix on just one character(the one who lives the longest) and trade it up for somthing else...I also usualy have one person decked ou with a few Counter Atks and a cover, and no magic Materia so that I can cover and counter for straight 9's.... Thats just a suggestion though, if you want to go around being redundant be my guest.

The Skillster

• Loving every Final Fantasy
    • View Profile
The Best Materia Order
« Reply #2 on: 2005-10-05 12:38:20 »
Talran has a point, kit one guy with cover + counter (x5?) 4xCut counter command + deathblow (if you like) maybe also with deathblow paired with HP absorb so you dont have to worry about him dying
you even beserk him in battle and not even bother controlling him  :D

Has anyone tried Mastered Elemental + Master Magic/Summon in to their armour and see if it adds all elements to the armour?

twitch

• View Profile
The Best Materia Order
« Reply #3 on: 2005-10-05 12:58:51 »
Quote from: Talran
I also usualy have one person decked ou with a few Counter Atks and a cover, and no magic Materia so that I can cover and counter for straight 9's.....

If a character has magic materia will it not attack for 9999 although it has 255 strength? My current character with 255 strength seems to dish out 9999 although equipped with master magic paired with Quad Magic. However, this is only for Cloud and Yuffie. My 3rd character (Vincent), attacks for only about 6500-8500 (althogh his strength is 255). Maybe it's because of Death Penalty?

Quote from: The Skillster

Has anyone tried Mastered Elemental + Master Magic/Summon in to their armour and see if it adds all elements to the armour?

I tried that. No effect. It seems that elemental materia is intended to be paired with single magic such as Fire. You're better off with equipping armour such as Edincoat which nullifies [Lightning/Earth/Water/Poison].

Phyltre

• View Profile
Re: The Best Materia Order
« Reply #4 on: 2005-10-05 15:15:36 »
Quote from: twitch

1. I don't get 4xcut although I have Master command. The attack command is replaced by slash all, which IMHO is just not cool. (Vincent using slash all?)

2. The mega all materia screws up some actions. For instance, when I use cure 3 (it's supposed to effect all characters and cast 4 times due to Quad magic and MegaAll), it will only cast for one character for 4 times although the cursor shows up on ALL characters. WTF?

I say someone here should patch the mega all problem.  I've noticed that before too.  I consider it a glitch since things stop affecting more than one person.

Lieron

• View Profile
    • Learnin' Time
The Best Materia Order
« Reply #5 on: 2005-10-06 02:06:01 »
you need to end with [/quote] for it to work

Phyltre

• View Profile
The Best Materia Order
« Reply #6 on: 2005-10-06 02:38:37 »
Yeah...bad cutting job when I took out most of what he said.

The Skillster

• Loving every Final Fantasy
    • View Profile
The Best Materia Order
« Reply #7 on: 2005-10-06 05:20:27 »
I remember reading that Contain can be used to defend against status effects like petrify etc when combined with added effect with the armor, is the same to be said when combined with elemental?

teH2SO4

• View Profile
The Best Materia Order
« Reply #8 on: 2005-10-22 20:57:10 »
Twitch, Vincent's damage charges up according to how many enemies he's killed, so to answer your question, you're gonna have to take him for a ride and just own some enemies :)

By the way, did anyone notice any other glitches? It happened quite a few times in my games, but basically the first few times you use a new materia combo it doesn't work. All and that works fine, just the less "used" combos, such as MP-absorb. I put it on Yuffie with Ice, and she cast Ice2, and it didn't give back the 10% of the MP as promised? After a few times it started working, dunno what's up with that ;/

Some of the other materia was also screwy when I first used the combo, but fixed itself later...anyone notice it? (I'm using pc version btw :))

machaorules

• View Profile
The Best Materia Order
« Reply #9 on: 2005-10-23 02:53:44 »
wat should i equip for the battle arena

twitch

• View Profile
The Best Materia Order
« Reply #10 on: 2005-10-23 08:14:57 »
Quote from: teH2SO4
Twitch, Vincent's damage charges up according to how many enemies he's killed, so to answer your question, you're gonna have to take him for a ride and just own some enemies :)

Yeah I just knew about this. Thanks for pointing that out. Before I just thought that you just have to attack using Vincent for many times. The fact is that you need to actually kill (Final Blow), the enemy using Vincent's Death Penalty.

By the way, did anyone notice any other glitches? It happened quite a few times in my games, but basically the first few times you use a new materia combo it doesn't work. All and that works fine, just the less "used" combos, such as MP-absorb. I put it on Yuffie with Ice, and she cast Ice2, and it didn't give back the 10% of the MP as promised? After a few times it started working, dunno what's up with that ;/

IMO, this is because when you equip new materia, it is still a low level materia, therefore there would be no immediate effect. It would just work RANDOMLY. A MASTER level materia, on the other hand; may have an everlasting effect.  

Quote from: machaorules

wat should i equip for the battle arena

Well, it is a single battle. I never had much problem with my equipped materia order in my 1st post in this thread. However, you should take note that after a battle in the battle arena; you will have to take your chance with the slots. "Materia Break" slot is devastating, especially if your character is too Materia dependent. Therefore, it is best that your character is strong (STATS wise) and you have plenty of healing items.

teH2SO4

• View Profile
The Best Materia Order
« Reply #11 on: 2005-10-23 08:56:23 »
Hmm, ya, what twitch said, it's generally best to be reliable on physical attacks rather than materia...Anyways, you get more BP for materia breaking :)

Ya Twitch, maybe that's how new materia works, it has to be "broken in" I suppose ;/ but it's still kinda immature :P

And on the topic of the Battle Arena, did anyone ever have it when the slot machine broke? As in, it would only have one option as a handicap outcome? The first time I saw it I crapped myself laughing at the amazing amount of choice there was...

twitch

• View Profile
The Best Materia Order
« Reply #12 on: 2005-10-23 14:49:13 »

Ya Twitch, maybe that's how new materia works, it has to be "broken in" I suppose ;/ but it's still kinda immature :P

Tell me 'bout it. It still makes sense though. It differentiates MASTER level materia with low level materia.

And on the topic of the Battle Arena, did anyone ever have it when the slot machine broke? As in, it would only have one option as a handicap outcome? The first time I saw it I crapped myself laughing at the amazing amount of choice there was...

I think there was this one time I had two choice from all of the slots. A bug maybe? Doesn't happen much though.

Is there a way to come up with a patch so that there we can pair 3 materias at once? It would impact the game so much. Imagine= {quad magic+master magic+ mp absorb} ..wow

teH2SO4

• View Profile
The Best Materia Order
« Reply #13 on: 2005-10-23 16:09:41 »
lol I think that would ultimately affect the game's programming and really screw things up...a lot of work would be required for the logics of 3-links to work ;/

Rajamic

« Reply #14 on: 2005-10-23 21:23:53 »
Quote from: twitch
Wpn:{MPabsrb+MasterSummon} {MPturbo+KOR} { FinalAttck+Phoenix} {QuadraMagic+MasterMagic}

Arm: {W-Summon+MasterCommand} {MegaAll+Counterattck} {HPplus+Speedplus}

3. I really want to have enemy skill, but can't decide which slot to substitute.

1) There's no reason for you to have 4X-Cut at all. The Double Cut and Slash All materia aren't included in Master Command, so their commands aren't either. Since you don't have Double Cut in there anywhere, you'd have no 4X-Cut. Though Mega All does override 4X Cut with Slash All regardless.

3) Replace SpeedPlus. Speed and Luck Sources are the easiest to farm.

But really, If you are going to have Master Summon=MP Absorb and MP Turbo=KotR, what else are you ever going to need?   :o

hay

• If I had a buggy, I'd cross the southern desert
    • View Profile
The Best Materia Order
« Reply #15 on: 2005-10-23 21:59:49 »
personally I'm a fanatic of [4x cut], [added cut]=[master command], [hades/contain]=[added effect] and of course some high level restore or master magic and enemy skill with at least white wind, big guard and death force.

twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2005-10-24 12:22:12 »
Quote from: Rajamic

But really, If you are going to have Master Summon=MP Absorb and MP Turbo=KotR, what else are you ever going to need?   :o

Well, my idea was to have EVERY command the game has to offer. It doesn't matter how much damage I can do. I just need to have 'em all.  

I can't help it. I'm greedy. :P

Quote from: hay

personally I'm a fanatic of [4x cut], [added cut]=[master command], [hades/contain]=[added effect] and of course some high level restore or master magic and enemy skill with at least white wind, big guard and death force.

Hmm...interesting combination. I'll be trying that out soon. This is my latest materia layout for now.

Arm: {HP absorb+MasterCommand} {MegaAll+Counterattck} {HPplus+Enemy skill}

Changes:
1. Replaced Speed plus with enemy skill.
2. Paired Master command with HP absrb. This combo saves a lot of potions!  :D