Author Topic: Some Help Hacking Final Fantasy 8 PSX  (Read 2921 times)

FinalFan

Some Help Hacking Final Fantasy 8 PSX
« on: 2005-11-07 03:38:10 »
Hi, I'm just trying to do something seemingly very simple with FF8. I'd like to limit the max number of spell casts that can be held by a character to 9 instead of 99. So instead of being able to absorb 99 spells, I'd like for it to max out at 9.

Also, I'd like to modify some spell data to change the effectiveness of cure spells.

Anyone know what file and offsets I might try looking at?

Thank you!

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2005-11-07 15:52:27 »
A few things:
1 Have you looked at the disk yet?
You'll discover FF8 PS1 has 1 file for all data.
This one file includes ALL the data for the game (including binaries for running parts of the game).
2 You have to know what you are looking for.
Yes you have to search through the image to find things.  The script is compressed using LZS like FF7.  Models are not compressed nor are bitmaps (this is how I found models).
3 Finding / editing the image thou shalt not change positions.
You need to change the image file however if you want the game to not crash do not change the sector positions within the ISO etc.
Movies are stored in 2304 byte sectors and regular data is stored in 2048 byte sectors.

4 It's PACKED!
Yes the whole game is squished into a monsterous single file and until people can unravel the file information you can't change positions etc.  If you wer looking to change things like you are thinking I suspect the game itself is where you will have to diddle.  You could use cheat codes to alter the internal checks of the game without altering the data itself.

As for software you could try this software for 'adjusting' an ISO image of the game.  It does require learning a new computer language and a bit of work to use.

Cyb

« Reply #2 on: 2005-11-08 19:25:51 »
I think that maybe gameshark can help you if you can find the memory you could change stock limit

Akari

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2005-11-09 09:51:41 »
Quote from: Cyberman
A few things:
4Yes the whole game is squished into a monsterous single file and until people can unravel the file information you can't change positions etc.

Doesn't anyone found real file system yet? I believe there must be one, like one in xenogears (thanks to Ombra who found it). I think standart file system reloads with new one after game starts and whole game application works with it.