Author Topic: FF8 Field Model v. Battle Model Textures -- Quick and Painless Questions  (Read 3408 times)

FaustWolf

• View Profile
I imagine someone can answer this one VERY quickly. Having ripped some TIMs from FF8, I believe the field models are lower resolution and thus use less-detailed textures than the battle models (at least for the main characters). Taking Zell as an example:

Can someone confirm my suspicion that the top texture is for Zell's (regular clothing) field model, and the bottom set is for his battle model?

And another question for people familiar with FF8 models -- do monsters have their own separate battle and field models like the main characters do? In Chrono Cross at least, it seems enemies use the very same textures for both "overworld encounter models" and in-battle models. FF8 has invisible random encounters on the overworld of course, but some bosses do appear on the overworld just before Squall & Co. do battle with them, IIRC.

EDIT: By the way, holy sheet! -- has anyone seen this before?  http://kvaks.narod.ru/FF8Info.html
Did someone here write that program? I'm trying it out soon.

Looks like the rars are corrupt? Some of the links are broken too. Hopefully everything will be re-upped there. It seems to use .DAT files as input - does that mean it works only for the PC version of FF8, or are there .DAT files on the PlayStation CD as well?
« Last Edit: 2007-11-08 18:48:27 by FaustWolf »

Cyberman

• View Profile
First to determine if you are correct look for SEED uniforms textures for Squal and friends. If there isn't a combat one then you have your answer. :)

And yes it was found a few years back but I don't know what happened since to the site. It was interesting too look at although I don't remember anything published on the model data.

Cyb