Author Topic: Legality?  (Read 3226 times)

Silver Wings

• View Profile
Legality?
« on: 2008-04-30 16:09:41 »
I just wanna ask a question. Is writing a non-benefit guide that provides the way how to port KH's model into FF7 illegal or not? If it so, does replacing "KH's model" by "your own model" make the guide become legal?

ps: I hope I've created this topic in the right box  :-D

obesebear

• View Profile
Re: Legality?
« Reply #1 on: 2008-04-30 16:59:54 »
Freedom of speech.

Tsetra

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008-04-30 21:56:22 »
Man, I can send you links on how to synthesize nitroglycerin and mill your own AK-47 receivers if I wanted to. Assuming you're in the United States, there's nothing wrong with writing such a guide. Worst case scenario, which won't happen, is that Square-Enix will send you a C&D order hoping it'll scare you cause really, there's nothing they can do. If they try, there's no law founding their case and they'd probably end up paying for your lawyer, so you don't lose anything and you gain a good laugh.

Silver Wings

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008-05-03 07:50:47 »
Man, I can send you links on how to synthesize nitroglycerin and mill your own AK-47 receivers if I wanted to

I mean writing publicly
Legal stuff is such confusing ><

Tsetra

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008-05-03 08:16:58 »
Heh, I'm just using that as an extreme example. You can write a guide to pretty much anything so long as the writing itself, not it's subject matter, is not already copyrighted. So basically as long as you don't completely copy another guide you're fine.