Author Topic: Help!! FF7 Freezes and I can't figure out why!!! yarrrrgg.....  (Read 18334 times)

Teh_Youngster

Hey all, i just signed up for these forums because i have a problem with my ff7. In cosmo canyon (no this isn't the famous "cosmo canyon crash") right after the shooting star cutscene, the game "semi" freezes, with the music still playing and cloud and his merry band of troops still blinking yet no dialoge is going on and i can't move anyone, i think it might have something to do with a script not triggering or something because this seems like the oppertune moment for bugenhagen (or whatever it is) to elaborate on his dying world theory. Now i purchased this game legally and am using the chocobo patch, i'm running XP with the 1.3 XP patch (i think, i didn't put it back with the re-install but it might have stayed) incase it has anything to do with it, i generally try to get past it with cloud, barret, and tifa. I'm not sure if i'm posting this in the right forum and if i'm not, please just point me in the right direction and i'll be happily on my way. If you need more info i'd be happy to fill you guys in, so feel free to ask. I really love this game so i'd hate for it to be ruined by this.

:?

dziugo

• View Profile
    • A new copy of FF7 thanks to Salk. Pack (zip/rar/etc) your saved game before sending it to me.
What's the size of boogdemo.avi file on your CD? As for the solution, look here.

dziugo

MagiMaster

• View Profile
Hmmm... that semi-freeze sounds familiar... oh yeah!

Right AFTER Cosmo Canyon, walking away from it, the game worked fine for me UNTIL I got into a battle.  Then the same thing occured.  I remember scratching my head bewilderedly and then taking the least technically oriented path possible.  I put the disc into a scratch remover and buffed it up, then ran it again.  Ta-da!  No more problems.  Make sure to get rid of all smudges and scratches and try again before any other course of action.

ante

I have the exact same problem. I have tried both gyptNEW and yamp gypt, but I think those are geared to a different problem. With gyptNEW enabled I am unable to initiate the observatory scene at all, the dialog changes and the "door is unloked" bubble doesnt come up. With yamp gypt I am able to skip the fmvs and cloud runs fast however after skipping the shooting star they are still frozen blinking. I can provide videos of the events happening/screen shots/save game/debug file/whatever else you may want, or I can just email you my save. I would prefer to figure this out and play through the scene, worst case if you can get through it I would be happy, I just want to play! I'm running a retail copy with 1.2, chocobo, and truemotion 2.0 filter, I have been working on this for about 6 hours now, and I'm eager to resume my game.

knives

• View Profile
I just had this.

I loaded it up with GYPT, skipped the commet cutscene but wacthed the other one.
Durring the cutscene bogenhagen starts to speak, and finished speaking after the cutscene.
If you skip the cutscene, it's as if he never started speaking.

ante

After the shooting star cut scene it freezes, the second scene does not start.

This is the position they freeze in, Tifa continues to blink. After closing the word bubble the "boogdemo.avi" plays after which they are still in this position.

This is the frozen position after "boogdemo.avi".

I am running an athlon 64 if it makes a difference.
« Last Edit: 2006-07-25 05:17:27 by ante »

dziugo

• View Profile
    • A new copy of FF7 thanks to Salk. Pack (zip/rar/etc) your saved game before sending it to me.
With gyptNEW enabled I am unable to initiate the observatory scene at all, the dialog changes and the "door is unloked" bubble doesnt come up.
Which means you've successfully skipped the observatory demo. I don't know what you're trying to accomplish though. Is losing part of the story unacceptable to you?

When the TechRelated forum focused on fieldscript, I've taken a look at this problem. Again... FF7 has a kind of variable which holds the count of frames played for the current FMV. And some scripts are synchronized that way, so they won't go any further, if at least 123 (let's say...) frames hasn't been played. You're saying that it plays, then it freezes. Unless you've replaced the original boogdemo.avi with some shorter one, it should work without any problem and without having to use any kind of additional program.

So, what's the size and length of your boogdemo.avi?

dziugo
« Last Edit: 2006-07-25 10:22:44 by dziugo »

ante

This is one of my favorite scenes in the game, it's been a while so I didne realize that diolog meant that the sequence had been skipped. boogdemo.avi is 10,699,514 bytes, 32.8 seconds, 492 frames. I'll try it when I get home and just go to the candle. It's too bad I'll have to miss the scene, but I'll live.

What size should boogdemo.avi be? Cant I just modify the script if this is the issue? ok no lol, it is 122mb if i'm looking at the right file. 

Thank you for the help.
« Last Edit: 2006-07-25 18:33:45 by ante »

zero88

• View Profile
Ah...122 MEGABYTES?

Are you sure you're looking at the right file? Mine's only about six and a half megabytes...

EDIT: I suppose it's possible that I am looking at the wrong thing...
« Last Edit: 2006-07-26 19:57:54 by zero88 »

dziugo

• View Profile
122 megabytes here. And you don't need to modify the script if you ensure that... Heh, whatever. There is other way around.

dziugo

gludington2002

Yours is / was doing the exact same thing that I just corrected today.  I know you asked this a while ago, but if you didn't get it fixed, or if there's someone else that's still having the problem.  I'm going to guess that your FMVs that occur with the "low-res" characters in the foreground clip, like the scene moves and the people don't.  All that would happen in the game with me, was the music freezing and a left eye blinking, mine was Aeris where yours is Tifa.  Anywho, I followed someone else's advice about codecs, and found that the K-Lite Codec Pack 2.72 (full) DOES indeed fix the problem for me.  My videos don't clip, my videos run smoothly again, and I was able to shoot past the Bugenhagen scene.  I downloaded it here >>> http://filehippo.com/download_klite_codec_pack/?988

The scene then runs further, Bugenhagen actually moving like he's supposed to, the video finishes playing, and everything goes off without a hitch. 

I didn't use Gypt, or any crazy patches.  1.2, with the choco race patch added.  And now the new codec pack, working beautifully.

Athlon 64 3800+
2GB DDR800 Corsair Memory
Nvidia GeForce 6800 Pro (Also tested with a Radeon 9800 Pro)
XP Pro SP2

****EDIT**** It also fixed the fact that I would sometimes lose sound in some FMVs as well.
« Last Edit: 2007-10-22 18:14:39 by gludington2002 »

Terid__K

Works fine here. I have the same problem, but it's in FF8. It happens because the movie file is corrupted (At least for me).

*sigh* I own the original CDs, but because of this corrupted file I was forced to download the 2nd CD iso...

paladin181

• View Profile
Should this be in this section?

Drakon

I had the same problen, but a i used "Jenova" on the ready save game after cosmo canyon to make it exactly like my own. But then the same problem repeat again after date in Gold Saurcer, and i even tryed to go on the date with different characters using  Jenova but it was the same result. When date came over game freezes. I eve used different game version and patches , but i can't fix it. Please help me, i'm don't know what else i can do with that !

Elfiran7

• View Profile
Yours is / was doing the exact same thing that I just corrected today.  I know you asked this a while ago, but if you didn't get it fixed, or if there's someone else that's still having the problem.  I'm going to guess that your FMVs that occur with the "low-res" characters in the foreground clip, like the scene moves and the people don't.  All that would happen in the game with me, was the music freezing and a left eye blinking, mine was Aeris where yours is Tifa.  Anywho, I followed someone else's advice about codecs, and found that the K-Lite Codec Pack 2.72 (full) DOES indeed fix the problem for me.  My videos don't clip, my videos run smoothly again, and I was able to shoot past the Bugenhagen scene.  I downloaded it here >>> http://filehippo.com/download_klite_codec_pack/?988

The scene then runs further, Bugenhagen actually moving like he's supposed to, the video finishes playing, and everything goes off without a hitch. 

I didn't use Gypt, or any crazy patches.  1.2, with the choco race patch added.  And now the new codec pack, working beautifully.

Athlon 64 3800+
2GB DDR800 Corsair Memory
Nvidia GeForce 6800 Pro (Also tested with a Radeon 9800 Pro)
XP Pro SP2

****EDIT**** It also fixed the fact that I would sometimes lose sound in some FMVs as well.

What did you do when installing the K-Lite Codec Pack?  I tried that and nothing helped for me even after disabling ffdshow.  I must not have had it setup correctly then I guess.

Elfiran7

• View Profile
I finally got it to pass by the observatory by trying Gypt again.  I tried it before and it didn't work for me.  Now it did though.

braiden

What did you do when installing the K-Lite Codec Pack?  I tried that and nothing helped for me even after disabling ffdshow.  I must not have had it setup correctly then I guess.

When you install K-Lite Codec Pack, select the Heaps of stuff profile ( profile 5, or the last profile other than custom )

Then go to: START > PROGRAMS > K-LITE > CONFIGURATION > then ffdshow video

In the codec's part, Disable True Motion ( near the bottom )

Vwala! your Comp should run FFVII fine.

werchy

I tried do what braiden did, but no luck. I have the exact samee problem. My game semi-freezes right after the fmv. I've tried numerous things to get it to work, but nothing has worked so far. Another problem I'm having is the characters going into a full motion video. For example, right before boogdemo.avi, the lift takes them up into the observatory but the characters stay frozen. I don't know if this is connected, but it still has cause problems for me.

So please if anyone knows a solution tell me.

obesebear

• View Profile
I tried do what braiden did, but no luck. I have the exact samee problem. My game semi-freezes right after the fmv. I've tried numerous things to get it to work, but nothing has worked so far.

What have you tried?

auxili160

• View Profile
Uninstall K-Lite Codec Pack.

That's it.

If you still want drivers for divx etc that don't mess up ffvii, install CCCP.