Author Topic: Chrono Trigger SNES vs. PSX vs. DS  (Read 18755 times)

Mendelevium

• View Profile
Chrono Trigger SNES vs. PSX vs. DS
« on: 2010-03-20 21:42:02 »
Alright. I hear they keep on remaking this game, and it's a classic. And I have found myself itching to play it for ages now.
As it is, there are three copies that i know of, and i know they are all faulty.

I hear the snes version the battles lag quite a bit, the psx version has some music glitches, and appalling loading times *between scenes, menus, etc.*, and I have heard nothing of the DS version.

As I have a DS I was thinking about getting my hands on the newer one, but I believe i have the psx remake some wheres in my old box of PSX games. And I am unsure about the SNES one, I may have that somewhere. XD.

But, my main reason for posting this thread is: Which version is better? Worse? Which one would your recommend to a first time player of Chrono Trigger. *shrugs* I don't know, I think that is it. ^.^.

« Last Edit: 2010-03-20 21:46:21 by Mendelevium »

Cupcake

• And then it dawned on me, that Satan is also an old fuck.
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono Trigger SNES vs. PSX vs. DS
« Reply #1 on: 2010-03-20 21:56:18 »
DS

The SNES version is great, don't get me wrong, but the PSX version added cutscenes which I find to be enjoyable.  Then the DS version adds a whole bunch more features, a better translation, and the cutscenes, and because it's on a DS, portability.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010-03-20 22:05:33 »
I've only played the SNES version, and my main gripe with it was the ridiculous amount of censorship. When you say that the translation is better, do you mean that there's no more stuff like

[Man]
   Hey, bring some more soda!

[Bartender]
   Sir, I think you've had enough sugar
   today.

[Man]
   Pipe down!
   I'll tell you when I've had enough!
   Can't you see I love soda pop?

Nothing like soda pop to quench your
   thirst!

Mendelevium

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010-03-20 22:09:27 »
DS

The SNES version is great, don't get me wrong, but the PSX version added cutscenes which I find to be enjoyable.  Then the DS version adds a whole bunch more features, a better translation, and the cutscenes, and because it's on a DS, portability.

Hmm. I know I have the psx version somewhere... Just based on this, would it be worth it to upgrade?

I've only played the SNES version, and my main gripe with it was the ridiculous amount of censorship. When you say that the translation is better, do you mean that there's no more stuff like

[Man]

[Bartender]
   today.

[Man]
   Pipe down!

thirst!

... And that IS ridiculous. Is that really in the game? O.O
Or just an example of the kind of censorship i should expect within the game?

I think I remember some such scene in Xenogears actually...
« Last Edit: 2010-03-20 22:11:08 by Mendelevium »

Cupcake

• And then it dawned on me, that Satan is also an old fuck.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010-03-20 22:14:15 »
DS

The SNES version is great, don't get me wrong, but the PSX version added cutscenes which I find to be enjoyable.  Then the DS version adds a whole bunch more features, a better translation, and the cutscenes, and because it's on a DS, portability.

Hmm. I know I have the psx version somewhere... Just based on this, would it be worth it to upgrade?

[Man]

[Bartender]
   today.

[Man]
   Pipe down!

thirst!

Worth it to upgrade

Yes that is in the game, at the very beginning at the millenial fair

Mendelevium

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010-03-20 22:16:21 »
Alright. Thanks for the information. ^.^.
I am currently playing Chrono Cross, and that seems to be an amazing game too.

I am what you call a retro gamer... *hasn't really played or modded any of the new stuff lately*

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010-03-20 22:27:23 »

[Man]

[Bartender]
   today.

[Man]
   Pipe down!

thirst!

It's dialogue from the game. Back in the olden days, Nintendo of America had a very strict censorship policy designed to keep their games family friendly (this was only Nintendo of America; in Japan, things were different). As a result, crazy things like this happened when games got translated into English. I shudder to think what would have happened to FF7 had it needed to conform to a policy like this...

idl12

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010-03-20 22:43:05 »
despite all the bad translations i really enjoyed chrono trigger for the snes,(since it was what i was stuck with while everyone was boasting about their PlayStations and whatnot) i think you should get the Ds version though, the game was amazing without all the fancy cut-scenes and it should be even better with them+ portablitity. it even had me replaying it a few times just to see all twelve amazing endings. :-D

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010-03-20 22:51:13 »
Chrono Trigger looks really good with SuperEagle or 2xSai Upscale filtering.

The ability to hold a button and disable framelimiting is also a nice feature for breezing through lengthy scenes.

idl12

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2010-03-20 22:56:42 »
Not to mention with snes9x you can save anywhere(really helps with Lavos).

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2010-03-21 00:53:18 »
Honestly, the new features (additional dungeons, etc) in the DS are kinda worthless. On the other hand, it does have a superior translation, and it's got all the cutscenes of the PSX version with ZERO LAG OR LOAD TIMES. It's totally worth it.

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2010-03-21 02:09:51 »
CHRONO TRIGGER: RESURRECTION FTW!!!!!

[Hey...where'd you guys come from...where are you taking me?? OW don't taze me!!]

Mendelevium

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2010-03-21 02:15:28 »
CHRONO TRIGGER: RESURRECTION FTW!!!!!

[Hey...where'd you guys come from...where are you taking me?? OW don't taze me!!]

Silly. XD. *pats on back* don't worry, we won't hurt you... not too much at least. *evil grin*

Honestly, the new features (additional dungeons, etc) in the DS are kinda worthless. On the other hand, it does have a superior translation, and it's got all the cutscenes of the PSX version with ZERO LAG OR LOAD TIMES. It's totally worth it.

K. Thanks. :D. DS version it is. ^.^.
I tried to get the psx one on my psp.... OMG the load times were terrible, it took 30 seconds to get into the menu, then another 20 to  get out. And it's the same when you move between scenes. I wonder if it's like that on a normal emulator. o.o. Or even on the ps2... XD.

And my snes version has either gone missing, or I never owned it in the first place... XD I don't remember.
So... DS version it is. XD.

Thank you! It looks like an amazing game. :O *loves 2D graphics*