Author Topic: [WIP] Battle-scene Enhancement  (Read 173182 times)

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
Re: [WIP] Battle-scene Enhancement
« Reply #175 on: 2010-07-11 02:41:39 »
here's an attempt to please the mountaineers around here. It looks okay, but the source image was low resolution so it doesn't look as good as it should. Ill give it another go tomarrow with better sources. I also tweaked the grass a hair to make it match a little better.

lee

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: 2010-07-11 02:47:45 »
Mountaineers, eh? ;D

The mountains look a bit too far away, although that might be because the grass in the background doesn't match up yet with the grass in the foreground.

I also wonder whether it might be wise to try to make things in the backgrounds on the world map look like the things on the map itself. I remember reading a while ago that some people wanted the style of the backgrounds in the bombing mission to resemble the backgrounds in the field screen, so perhaps the same principle could be applied, so long as it doesn't involve great divergence from the original battle background.

« Last Edit: 2010-07-11 03:14:35 by sl1982 »

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: 2010-07-11 03:15:10 »
Yeah, that is not happening in the bombing mission. The battle backgrounds will resemble the original battle backgrounds.

Sorry Kudistos, accidently clicked modify not reply :P

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: 2010-07-11 03:18:26 »
Yeah, that is not happening in the bombing mission. The battle backgrounds will resemble the original battle backgrounds.

Sou nan da ;D

It may have been in another thread that I read it. I suppose it might be impossible to make it resemble the field background and still be faithful to the original in some cases.

Sorry Kudistos, accidently clicked modify not reply :P

I'm just wondering when you gained mod power in this forum and in general

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: 2010-07-11 03:19:46 »
Before today, after obesebear became a global mod.

edit: And you did read it in the bombing mission, but the main problem with it is many of the battle scenes don't resemble field scenes. Or the same battle scene is used with multiple field backgrounds, that may not match up artistically.
« Last Edit: 2010-07-11 04:23:58 by sl1982 »

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: 2010-07-13 23:02:07 »

here's the newest version, this one is faithful to the original in that it has hills with vegatation instead of mountains. I've got another one like this in the works, but i really like this one the best. I'm working on fading the ground into the background...but even a decent blend is pretty obvious when ingame. I don't think there is really a fix for this other than the fact most people won't be paying THAT much attention when fighting. Even the original had a pretty poor matchup, but no one ever said a word ;)

lee

Nightmarish

• owari da
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: 2010-07-14 00:17:13 »
Would be possible to use both:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/pyrozen/Untitled-1-11.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/pyrozen/Untitled-1-9.jpg

In the same area?
I mean sometimes the battle using one and sometimes the other.

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: 2010-07-14 00:37:41 »
not without somehow adding additonal battle "zones" to the  game. Each area uses a specific battle scene, so you would have to hack a new one into the game in order to make it work properly. Im not even sure if we know how exactly the game choses a battle scene when walking on the world map ATM. I would be coold if it were possible, but in the short term its definitely not happening.

lee

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: 2010-07-14 00:40:54 »
It would have to be something that Aali added into his driver. You would have to talk to him.

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: 2010-07-14 01:15:34 »
Im back on the prjoect, after a brief hiatus due to personal projects IRL,which are now completed, I am now continuing my work.

Question:When exactly does the bombing mission end in TA's view? After the explosion that burns wedge, or when you all get off the train in the slums?

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: 2010-07-14 01:16:11 »
The reactor explosion.

Nightmarish

• owari da
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: 2010-07-14 09:50:07 »
not without somehow adding additonal battle "zones" to the  game. Each area uses a specific battle scene, so you would have to hack a new one into the game in order to make it work properly. Im not even sure if we know how exactly the game choses a battle scene when walking on the world map ATM. I would be coold if it were possible, but in the short term its definitely not happening.

lee

I see.

I remember as a kid, when i was grinding, sometimes being only "walking" in the darker parts of the ground (shadow of the mountains) just like we have to do in the chocobo foot prints. I don't remember if it actually worked to get different kind of battles tho (probably didnt ^^)

Anyway maybe that feature of the chocobo prints could be used with the areas with mountains shadow (darker ground area) and the parts without, forcing battles with hills in the background in that dark area.

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: 2010-07-14 23:29:30 »
well, the dark area actually shares its texture with the lighter areas as well, but im not sure how the game determines which arena to battle in. If it is based on what texture your standing on, or if it uses your location in the world. I would think that the latter would be the method used, but i honestly have no idea since im not a coder.

lee

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: 2010-07-19 05:00:12 »
Here is what I have done on pjac...

If you will notice after my bricks there is a brown area and then more grey bricks. They actually look like this.

I think it would look pretty odd if I were to make tiny bricks and replace the current textures with them, but then again who knows. I would like your input on what to do with them, and I will do the best I can.

Also the building and wall in the BG look pretty good, should I just do some advanced sharpening on it or retexture it?
« Last Edit: 2010-07-23 08:27:13 by clouddamann »

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: 2010-07-19 22:35:03 »
your bricks look alright for a start, but as of right now they still look very unnatural. Add some grease smudges and dirt, decrease the brightness and up the contrast. Once you correct the bricks, then the background will definitely need to be retextured as well.

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: 2010-07-21 21:07:14 »
Is anyone still interested in this? Sithlord is busy with other projects and pyrozen is busy IRL, and I have basically lost motivation after my last round, because it seems interest has been lost in this WIP.

Please, continue to leave suggestions and critique as you all did before, I would really like to continue work on this, but have many projects IRL, so its hard to find motivation when no one is paying attention lol.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: 2010-07-21 21:08:24 »
TBH, energy spent on these battle backgrounds might be better spent on the bombing mission project over in TA.

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: 2010-07-21 21:16:29 »
Yeah but texturing is my strong point, and I have room to evolve my skills here, Im not really good with 3d yet, but if someone would send me some texture maps I would prolly get a great result on some enemies/ other things.

I would also texture the field backgrounds, if each object can have its own texture map, I.E. Ladders, Pipes, Catwalks, Etc.

They want me to remodel the train, And I've been messing with it but my 3d skills are not up to par yet.

Anyways maybe Ill figure something out...

Clodus

• Just a lowly fan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: 2010-07-21 22:25:37 »
Moooooooootiiiiiiivvvaaaaaaaashuuuuunnn...  No, but honestly all of these works look absolutely fantastic, way better than what I could do...  In any case, maybe those bricks look a bit...  I don't know...  Too in place?  They seem like...  Perfect... Seems kinda odd if you ask me, considering the slums is supposed to be frickin rat-infested dirty.  If you could, definitely work on the background as well just cause. =D

Owenay

« Reply #194 on: 2010-07-22 21:37:41 »
The battle backgrounds are wonderful and I certainly welcome any improvement on their quality (regular backgrounds too - especially resolution), however if I could vote for the one area of texture related improvement it would be the battle character textures of the other party members so they are on par with the Cloud and Barret ones.
« Last Edit: 2010-07-22 21:39:27 by Owenay »

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: 2010-07-23 00:30:52 »
Is anyone still interested in this? Sithlord is busy with other projects and pyrozen is busy IRL, and I have basically lost motivation after my last round, because it seems interest has been lost in this WIP.
Please, continue to leave suggestions and critique as you all did before, I would really like to continue work on this, but have many projects IRL, so its hard to find motivation when no one is paying attention lol.
i dont think interest has been lost, most people are just focused on the bombing mission demo ATM. I will be returning to this sometime in the near future, but right now whenever i have free time im busy playing through FF7 w/the hardcore mod.

lee

Nazta

« Reply #196 on: 2010-07-23 03:36:00 »
I want that battle menu!   ;D
{bricks Screenshot}

Shankifer

• Jack of all trades - Master of none!
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #197 on: 2010-07-23 04:19:19 »
Just wanted to offer up some CC:

Just a general "smog" in the city BG would be a nice way to blend everything, same with the roads, just darkening spots here and there. It would take away that. "omgosh they just restoned a road in the slums!" feeling :P

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: 2010-07-23 08:28:28 »
The Image posted above is a main thoroughfare on the top plate of midgar, where the beginning of the first scene takes place, thats why you jump the train and head down towards the slums.

Clodus

• Just a lowly fan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: 2010-07-23 16:33:25 »
Hummm... I know which part you're talking about. With that general area, given it just might be because it's a bit pixelated, on the field map those bricks seem a bit cracked up, old and musty, don't ya think? Maybe we should see some type of updated background as to see what you're trying to aim for, maybe... - -;;