Author Topic: [FF8] Hacktuar - Script Fixes/Improvements  (Read 24671 times)

meesbaker

• View Profile
Re: [FF8] Hacktuar - Script Fixes/Improvements
« Reply #25 on: 2015-03-22 18:10:18 »
Cool, I see  ;)

Shard

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2015-04-12 08:31:31 »
While streaming a test of the voicover project, some people got a sneak peek at one of the features in the changelist (well, a few of them, but this one is the one that got the best reaction)

Halfer

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2015-04-12 09:29:58 »
That's cool! :D In addition to what you said in the end of video, it does play in game if you fail to set the error ratio in missile base, happened to me the first time i played :P

Shard

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2015-04-12 18:15:19 »
Oh, really? I looked all through the scripts and only found it in a testbl area (which are sometimes used), but must have dismissed it because the conditionals didn't make sense.

I never knew that!

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #29 on: 2015-04-14 07:07:45 »
Thank God you've highlighted your past broadcasts Shard! I'm gonna go through them right now!!!

...and it sounds so good!

Do not fix "Selphie faces towards the camera" in any scene please! :P :P Or at least put an option for those who want to see that. :)
« Last Edit: 2015-04-14 07:33:35 by LeonhartGR »

Shard

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2015-04-14 08:49:19 »
Do not fix "Selphie faces towards the camera" in any scene please! :P
Why not? In most of the places where it happens, it's a scripting error by Square's eventers.

Rufus

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2015-05-03 04:58:16 »
Players get the option at the start of the game to skip naming Squall and Rinoa (primarily for the VO project).

do you think you could add another option to allow the player to force default names for all characters and Guardian Forces, that way I will never have to enter the 'enter a name for the character' screen.

I also think this would be a great thing to add for Final Fantasy VII, force default player names.
« Last Edit: 2015-05-03 04:59:54 by Rufus »

Shard

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2015-05-03 11:59:31 »
The game doesn't ask you to rename Zell, Quist, etc to begin with (in fact, it can't, those names are always the same). As for GFs, there is no way to force default names for them. You actually obtain GFs by naming them. There's no way around it.

eXistenZe

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2015-05-03 14:56:37 »
So... Humm.... Beta test release... Cof cof...

Shard

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2015-05-03 15:38:45 »
So... Humm.... Beta test release... Cof cof...
I plan on doing an actual release once I finish the Zell minigame (it's the only thing on the list that isn't done). The only things that will be missing are VO bugs which don't matter until I've released that project, and that won't be until much later.

Rufus

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2015-05-03 18:49:12 »
The game doesn't ask you to rename Zell, Quist, etc to begin with (in fact, it can't, those names are always the same). As for GFs, there is no way to force default names for them. You actually obtain GFs by naming them. There's no way around it.

Maybe you could do a hack so that when that screen pops up, a keystroke is sent which will focus on the confirm button and press OK on it.

and on FF7 you will need this for all characters for the voice over project, but i think it would be a cool thing to skip anyway for people that don't rename characters, if you can't skip this screen then sending keystrokes TAB then OK should work.

eXistenZe

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2015-05-03 21:09:52 »
How far are these script fixes from actual added content? New battles? New dialogues?
For example a boss like edea summoning consecutive monsters in front of her until you actually reach her, brothers maze having some hard battles in critical points, stuff like that...

Shard

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2015-05-06 22:15:46 »
I can't mod battle scripts yet (nobody can). When that's possible, this mod probably won't change anything about battles aside from supporting voiced dialogue. If it's possible, the only other thing I would do is allow players to skip part or all of the gf animations.

The only new "content" in this mod will be added/modified dialogue. I don't plan on adding new battles. There are several other mods that edit battles for difficulty and balance reasons, they will be compatible with this mod.

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #38 on: 2015-05-07 00:25:52 »
Looks great!

Seriously, REMOVE the basketball scene. It's NOT needed. It's the worst part of the game.

eXistenZe

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2015-05-07 20:42:45 »
Seriously, REMOVE the basketball scene. It's NOT needed. It's the worst part of the game.

No way... That's a key point in the story...

Shard

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2015-05-08 02:18:14 »
Yeah, that's not happening. People got upset when I planned to remove the scene with the bickering guards in front of timbers train station. I'm not about to remove the one scene that ties the whole game together.

Rufus

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2015-05-08 06:43:44 »
The new threat mod allows you to skip cutscenes, maybe that can be offered here as an option, I think having it as an on/off selection in something like 7th heaven for FF8 would be cool

I as hoping to disable yuffies side quest in FF7, but others disagreed, I guess some people just don't like things in certain games

what exact parts are you requesting to be moved?

here is a link to the video with the scene in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Gn0lPQ--AM

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #42 on: 2015-05-13 17:16:19 »
Yeah, that's not happening. People got upset when I planned to remove the scene with the bickering guards in front of timbers train station. I'm not about to remove the one scene that ties the whole game together.

I wasn't expecting that and I was partly joking. However, that scene is FF8's best example of bad writing. That and Quistis' "mission" to apology to Rinoa at the end of disc 1. Don't get me wrong, imo FF8 has a very solid story, but that scene is a bomb. This is getting off topic though. Sorry for bringing it up.

All those changes here seems great imo. :)
« Last Edit: 2015-05-13 17:29:39 by gjoerulv »

Shard

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2015-05-13 17:38:42 »
Believe me, I've spent dozens of hours editing the game's dialogue to spice up some of the bad writing/localization. Each scene will still feel the same, but they will at least be a little bearable to read (and listen to).

Rufus

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2015-05-13 20:32:26 »
I heard edeas speech in the original japanense version was very different, not sure if you plan to encourporate that.

I'm sure you're fully aware of it anyway, and not sure how this affects your voice over project,but heres some links you probably know of anyway.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/197343-final-fantasy-viii/43179495

http://thelifestream.net/lifestream-projects/translations/6043/ffviii-ultimania-and-related-translations-continue/

some big changes their, especially what rinoas says, but I can't see how you could have access to a complete re-translation of FF8 unless DLPB is doing to ff8 what was done to FF7.

eXistenZe

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2015-05-13 21:35:45 »
You will release the script changes sided with the voice over project, right? Not as a single package I hope...
These good old non-voiced games are awesome the way they are, and we pretty much picture their voices in our own way.
Just the fact that you put voices where they were none may sound very weird and confusing. Adn if we don't like one of the voices, or were too far off how we imagined it, the experience will not be that good.

Thus I ask you to release each feature as optional so we can choose what to use.

The translation corrections sound awesome. And added content also sounds great. There may be quite a few ways to fix/improve the story. The Quistis returning to apologize scene for example may be changed to "Hey, there were some awesome lemon cookies in the mansion, how about we go get some for the mission?" or "Hey... That Rinoa card in the table wound be amazing in my Queen deck, wonder if the general would trade it for this Ifrit card? :) Just kidding.

Keep up the good work. Looking forward fot this mod.

Shard

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2015-05-14 03:03:22 »
You will release the script changes sided with the voice over project, right? Not as a single package I hope...
These good old non-voiced games are awesome the way they are
Correct. Hacktuar will contain everything listed, the translation, and the script code to play the voices, but it won't contain the voices themselves. There's no way to separate them any more than that.

eXistenZe

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2015-05-14 12:16:07 »
Nice.

Now is the part where I go n00b and ask the release date  :-o :-o  :roll: :roll: