Author Topic: FF7 and Windows 2000  (Read 16925 times)

eerrrr

• View Profile
FF7 and Windows 2000
« Reply #25 on: 2001-08-03 19:34:00 »
StrayWings: You just beat me! I wanna get an SBLive! Hey are you getting an electric guitar or an acoustic? If its an electric tell me and I'll send you some really cool progs to play around with it and makes sounds like effects pedals. At the moment I'm saving up for a multi-effects pedal.

Sir Canealot: Cool, I've never really tried pushing my dad before cos I dont ask him for much. I'll try getting hold of a PC World mag or something and show him the stuff. Heh, this is gonna be funny...

EDIT: Bugger. I was looking around on uBid for my first time and I realised how cheap the PC's were. When my dad came home I showed him and he was like "But the shipping's gonna cost loads", its was $12 for a lb, and 35lb!! So its not so cheap to bid for PC's. There's still those PC shops though, I'll have a look in Dixons tomorow.

[This message has been edited by eerrrr (edited August 03, 2001).]

StrayWings

• View Profile
FF7 and Windows 2000
« Reply #26 on: 2001-08-04 03:50:00 »
Hey thanks errr!  :D I'm flattered.

Well, I'm getting an acoustic guitar~ I just LOVE the sound they make. Been pratising from others for quite some time and now I'll get my own guitar~   :)

ficedula

• View Profile
    • http://www.ficedula.co.uk
FF7 and Windows 2000
« Reply #27 on: 2001-08-04 16:00:00 »
eerrrr: Let me give you a hint.

DIXONS RIP YOU OFF. IF THEY COULD, THEY'D CHARGE YOU FOR LOOKING AT THEIR STORE. ON TOP OF THAT, THEY CLAIM TO CHARGE LOW PRICES EVEN WHEN YOU POINT OUT THEY ARE LITERALLY DOUBLE THAT OF SOMEWHERE ELSE. THEY ARE EVIL.

I mean it, too  :wink: I've never bought a PC from them (thank god - I'd be even MORE in debt if I went to Dixons) but I *used* to buy A/V equipment from there (cables, adaptors, video recorders - you know the stuff). Until I saw Dixons were charging me £12 for a CABLE, that cost £5 in a hardware store. Same cable. Hmmm, think I, that's a ripoff. They never admitted it though. "We charge reasonable prices." hah! Evil.

Sir Canealot

• View Profile
FF7 and Windows 2000
« Reply #28 on: 2001-08-04 17:22:00 »
OH MY GOD! NO EERRRR! BAD BOY!
SATANIC BOY! DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT BUYING A PC FROM PC-WORLD OR CURRYS BECAUSE THEY ARE OWNED BY DIXONS!

Dont do it! Please! For your own health!

Time and Mesh have pretty good deals. Just get a computer mag - one of the ones full of adverts and then start drooling over some of them...preferably when money spendng dad is near.

And I would say how well your games would run on the new pc. For some reason that help with my dad...dont quite know why he cares so much about the games though.

But as I said. TRY MESH AND TIME!!

eerrrr

• View Profile
FF7 and Windows 2000
« Reply #29 on: 2001-08-04 18:05:00 »
WOOAAHH!! I AM INNOCENT!!!!
OK! I'll go look around for Time stuff since there's a Time place somewhere around here... I didnt know Curry and thingy were owned by Dixons, oh well. I wont say how games will be improved on a new PC becuase my dad really doesnt want me playing games on the PC, he thinks I should be spending more time studying...whatever. So maybe I'll tell him that all the new "educational" software is gonna need much faster PC's. Heh, lets see if he falls for it.  :D

Straywings: Cool, I started learning with a classical acoustic, then I went onto a steel stringed acoustic, and now I'm on electric. You should get a good steel stringed one, once you get good at that you'll be able to work wonders on classicals and electrics.

StrayWings

• View Profile
FF7 and Windows 2000
« Reply #30 on: 2001-08-04 18:15:00 »
Thanks for the advice errr  :D I would really put it into good use~

Wish me luck~

eerrrr

• View Profile
FF7 and Windows 2000
« Reply #31 on: 2001-08-04 19:22:00 »
StrayWings: Goodluck!

Hey everyone I just found a deal at the Time website.  http://www.timecomputers.com/computers/pcs/model.php3?webcode=106&pc=e" TARGET=_blank>This is the PC . The thing is though, is the graphics card any good? I want to buy a GeForce 2 or 3 and plug it in, but is it possible to just plug them into any PC? Or would it be beter to check and see if the PC's got a spare slot for another graphics card?

MMiller8

• View Profile
FF7 and Windows 2000
« Reply #32 on: 2001-08-04 22:08:00 »
This is another rip off 3d card coming in an otherwise good pc.  This kind of stuff was common up until a couple years ago, when Dell and Gateway heard of such companies as Nvidia.  Buy the pc, rip that unholy model of the stone age, and get a GeForce2 ULTRA.  Those RULE!

eerrrr

• View Profile
FF7 and Windows 2000
« Reply #33 on: 2001-08-04 22:37:00 »
Oakey doke, so I will be able to just take that graphics card out and shove a GeForce in?

Sir Canealot

• View Profile
FF7 and Windows 2000
« Reply #34 on: 2001-08-05 00:57:00 »
Yea Time are real bastards when it comes to giveing out good grx cards!

I would phone time up before ordering it. And find out EXACLY what that grx card is. It might be an onboard one. Which means you might not have an AGP port for the GeForce to go in!

Installing the card is childs play  but if you no port then you cant install the card.

Also the sound card in that is nothing to write home about. I might recomend this one though: http://www.timecomputers.com/computers/pcs/model.php3?pc=m&webcode=100" TARGET=_blank>http://www.timecomputers.com/computers/pcs/model.php3?pc=m&webcode=100

Its a litte more expensive yea but you replace that slowish duron with a pretty darn fast 1.2 atholn. And there slightly faster pc-133 memory to boot.

You would still need to upgrade the graphics card in that thing though.

I hate it when they dont give the exact specs. They should make a law that says they have to give all the specs out and not just say AGP 4x super fast graphics or some stupid shit like that.

Bloody bastards! It pisses me off!

The Skillster

• Loving every Final Fantasy
    • View Profile
FF7 and Windows 2000
« Reply #35 on: 2001-08-05 02:44:00 »
hey fice cut it out man
dixons is shit but i work for PCWorld (same group!) i bought my last 2 pcs from there.
come on where the hell do u get a 1ghz athlon base unit for £225? tell me?
and a Geforce 3 i bought was price macthed with watford electronics to 297£ but i gave it back as i got a geforce2pro 2nd hand from em for 149.99 half the price same speed (kinda).
so if u look harder u will see good deals, and hideuosley over priced items too.
thats life, but i swear my sales team mates might bend over backwards if u buy a PC with cover and the manager will give any decent kinda discount.
having said that i work in the most understaffed overstretched overpreforming PCWorld store in europe (StaplesCorner! London), they r slave drivers in that store :P
but heh im ok, as i get to find the TRUE bargins.
heh, ever remember the Voodoo5 for 99£?
well i did, i saw it there first.
and 256mb of branded ram at 133mhz for 49.99? in the component shop of course in our bigger stores, go on to the website http://www.pcworld.co.uk" TARGET=_blank>www.pcworld.co.uk  under components>boards>memory its selling for 35£!! special bargins.
anyways enuff of me sharing my price hunting (or advertising whichever u call it)

Threesixty

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/threesixtyci/
FF7 and Windows 2000
« Reply #36 on: 2001-08-05 05:24:00 »
errr: Make sure you have an AGP slot. Geforces don't come in PCI form. What graphic plugin are you using for FF9 anyway?

If it's Pete's, set the frame buffer to black (1 :).

[This message has been edited by Threesixty (edited August 05, 2001).]

Sir Canealot

• View Profile
FF7 and Windows 2000
« Reply #37 on: 2001-08-05 05:37:00 »
Skillster! I visit the staples corner PC-World branch quite fequantly. We have probley walked past each other a few times.

When we took took that GeForce 2 pro(err when did you get your GeForce 2 pro!?) back to them they were saying all shit like it was the manafeacturs reponsibility.
The women we were talking to (Elona or something...) didnt have a bloody clue. It took her ages I find out we could exchange the damn thing.

I know all of you cant be like that though.
But every other person at that desk were argueing with them. One person had norton on there pc when they got it. PC-World formatted it removeing norton and refused to give it back. Argh it is pretty bad in there.

I dont know how you all do it. It was an oven in there. If I worked there I would pull an M-79 out and start fireing tear gas over the counter shoteing for "Air-Con! Air-Con!".

Well at any rate I feel better knowing we have the vaguly intelligent Skillster working at Pc-World   :D

Oh yes PC-World: 128 megs of Pc-100 £25! Kick arse!

[This message has been edited by Sir Canealot (edited August 05, 2001).]

The Skillster

• Loving every Final Fantasy
    • View Profile
FF7 and Windows 2000
« Reply #38 on: 2001-08-05 13:27:00 »
heh
yea i know her shes welsh
lol, shes not so PC minded as me tho
look for me near the cashiers! lol, im multitasking so u might not find me always, the names Sajid and if u got a query lemme know, cos im techie minded so i can help.
u like the memory? got to the website http://www.pcworld.co.uk" TARGET=_blank>www.pcworld.co.uk  and goto pc_components>component_cards> then memory
they got the same memory for alot less, same stuff like 256mb 133MHz for 35.99£!! plus 3.20 delivery u cant go wrong there!

Sir Canealot

• View Profile
FF7 and Windows 2000
« Reply #39 on: 2001-08-05 16:10:00 »
Sajid huh? Well I will make sure to say hello if I see you not busy.   :)

Gonna check out there web site now..see what they have up.

Might get luckey. Looking for a slot A atholn 1ghz. Aparently my mobo can go up to that but I'm not sure yet.

Erk they dont say on there. So I supose they are socket As. Seen better prices any way on the net  :wink:
Saw a 900 for £60....

[This message has been edited by Sir Canealot (edited August 05, 2001).]

eerrrr

• View Profile
FF7 and Windows 2000
« Reply #40 on: 2001-08-05 17:57:00 »
Threesixty: Yes I'm using Petes latest D3D DX7 1.51. The frame buffer's already on black. I think I've got the graphics sorted, just the sound thats the problem.

Sir Canealot: Ok, thanks for showing me that deal, I'll show it to my dad. At the moment I'm looking through the Time Xtra site for a GeForce card but I haven't found it yet. I dont think I'll buy GeForce 3, it seems pretty expensive. Wait I just found some GeForce 2 cards, the cheapest is £87 for the MX. I dont think I'll be getting a GeForce for a while, they're a wee bit expensive. Is the MX worth getting? Maybe I'll save up for it later.

EDIT: ARGH SHMUCKING HELL!!!! The stupid old man just decided he doesnt want to get a new PC, I wish he would make his mind up. Bloody barsted.

[This message has been edited by eerrrr (edited August 05, 2001).]

Sir Canealot

• View Profile
FF7 and Windows 2000
« Reply #41 on: 2001-08-06 00:03:00 »
Keep hopeing  :D

The MS isnt to bad but I would recomend a GeForce 2 GTS really. Or perhaps even hold out with the crappy Grx Card untill you can get a GeForce 3 they are comeing down in price if you shop around for it.

Hey I would look for work if I was you. I am soon for my next pc. As I said if I can scrape togther £2-300 my dad should be a lot more open about what to buy  :)

eerrrr

• View Profile
FF7 and Windows 2000
« Reply #42 on: 2001-08-06 13:16:00 »
Yeah I'm saving £40 a month, maybe I could get it up to £80 if I stop my guitar lessons for a while. But I'm saving up for a £150 multi-effects pedal and it seems to be taking forever. I dont know if I'd have the patience to get my money up to £700, but if I do maybe my dad will pay for half of it, thats what he did when I bought my guitar, heh heh. And by the time I've bought the PC the GeForce 3 should be pretty cheap.