Author Topic: [FF8-PC Steam/Switch] FFVIII Crystal 1.5.6 / Remastered Version 1.1.6  (Read 35064 times)

Leythalknight

• View Profile
It worked, thanks a million! I will keep you posted if I'll find anything else. Thanks again.  8)

EDIT/UPDATE:

Hey, found another issue – this time it is the Sorceress Memorial fight – game crashes after I defeat 5th or 6th sorcerer and ‘Magic Summon’ is triggered.

Here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/x2h4di5q8tbozj1/battle_05-07-22.7z/file

Sorry about the issue. There's only one other place I used Magic Summon when spawning enemies and it works there. It may have something to do with the quality of the enemy model.

I'll release a proper update later.
« Last Edit: 2022-05-07 18:16:19 by Leythalknight »

gypsymania

• View Profile
Thanks, it works now! Im on disk 3 now and I collected all the key/defeated all the quest monsters. Your document says that I need to buy an item in secret shop on disk 4 in order to fight the secret boss, but when I went to Trabia Canyon (still disk 3) I got a message that I’ve collected all the keys and then got attacked by super strong Geezard who killed me in like 4 turns lol  :?. I’ve never found any info on this in your text document so my question is – is this the secret boss from secret shop or this is a different boss? Thanks.
« Last Edit: 2022-05-09 23:36:37 by gypsymania »

Leythalknight

• View Profile
I've updated the mod to 1.5.6 / 1.1.6.

Nexus / itch.io

Thanks, it works now! Im on disk 3 now and I collected all the key/defeated all the quest monsters. Your document says that I need to buy an item in secret shop on disk 4 in order to fight the secret boss, but when I went to Trabia Canyon (still disk 3) I got a message that I’ve collected all the keys and then got attacked by super strong Geezard who killed me in like 4 turns lol  :?. I’ve never found any info on this in your text document so my question is – is this the secret boss from secret shop or this is a different boss? Thanks.

The canyon boss is the one that ends the Aberrant Keys quest. The secret shop that sells the item needed for the other is located

Spoiler: show
at the Crash Site, but only on Disc 4. Talk to the Queen of Cards and you can buy it from her. She also sells certain items that are otherwise missable.
« Last Edit: 2022-05-10 03:56:15 by Leythalknight »

gypsymania

• View Profile
Just finished the game and want to write a short feedaback. Maybe it would help people to decide whether they want to give this mod a shot or not.

Gameplay

Basically this mod turns ff8 gameplay into more traditional jprg gameplay with leveling, classes and gridding. Game still keeps core elements, so you can adjust your characters as you want and not stick with the provided class system. You can still shuffle all the GFs and magic between characters, so you won’t have a problem to build a tank-Selphie if you want.

Difficulty

I would say the difficulty in this mod is reasonably challenging and difficult. It’s challenging where it needs to be, but it’s not Dark Souls either (although there are some bosses that will make you sweat a lot). I had more difficulties in the beginning (Ifrit kicked my ass multiple times and so did some other bosses on disk1) but once you progress and get more different spells and commands game gets easier.

Some bosses will be very annoying since they can attack 2 or 3 times in a row. You will need to adjust your party and strategy for those fights.

The only boss that I couldn’t beat in a fair fight is an overpowered Geezard and I really think he is the most difficult boss in this mod, I had no trouble with Virtuoso Weapon and Omega Weapon (the last one was super-easy for some reason, felt like his hp were cut), but this dude kicked my ass multiple times. Virtuoso Weapon is sick though, his skills combo can kill you fast, had to adjust my status defense, first time he got me with berserk on the whole party. It’s very very impressive how he is programmed and the whole idea of skill combo is great.

Content

There’s plenty of new content – new quests, new bosses, new items, new spells and abilities, but a lot of OG content was removed  – most of the GFs were cut and some magic and commands are not usable anymore (this however is done to keep the balance and favor the new gameplay and mechanics, but it is little bit sad).

Should you play it?

If you want to re-play ff8 in an un-orthodox way and you are looking for a challenge, then this is might be your cup of tea. The amount of new content added is insane and the new scenes/dialogues don’t even feel like a fan-fiction or anything like that, they are super-organic and really feel like og game.

Thank you for your effort, I had a truly awesome experience.
« Last Edit: 2022-05-25 12:54:41 by gypsymania »

kapilapis

• View Profile
I have been playing through your mod and encountered a bug with the aberrant monsters quest.

Spoiler: show
In Esthar, after defeating the special summoned Behemoth with the Blaze Spikes, it does not drop its aberrant key. Initially I thought that maybe I had ruined it by mugging, but even after reloading and killing again I did not get the item. I have killed it in two different pre-summon formations, too. Here is a clip of Behemoth not dropping the key https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1507255157

I am playing on version is 1.5.5 and I could upload my savefile somewhere if you would like to check it. Luckily I kept a backup before killing the Behemoth. I also had killed all three other key monsters before Behemoth. That being said, I already solved the problem for myself by using a save editor and adding in the third Aberrant Key into my inventory, so my playthrough is doing ok.

Before I forget, I found two other bugs involving Renzokuken's finisher with the Stop proc. The first one was Fujin's AI breaking when I got the final hit on her at the same time I inflicted Stop. Her AI stopped working and she never said the line to end the fight, even after Stop ended. I tried to restart her AI by healing and killing again, but I was just soft locked on an endless fight.  The second bug involved a Stopped Elnoyle which froze the game after being hit by Renzokuken. I assume the game was trying to put the model back in place after the special animation should have knocked it down but couldn't because he was already stopped middair or something like that.

That being said, I have been playing through the entire FF series, with a lot of modded games on the way, and your mod has been by far my favorite so far. FFVIII has fantastic mechanics and a really tense and intense ATB system which combined with your creativity just resulted in absolutely fantastic fights. I fell in love with the mod the moment I saw Ifrit use his special thing and my opinion of it hasn't changed at all since. Good job!
« Last Edit: 2022-06-18 14:51:36 by kapilapis »