Author Topic: FF7 -> Neverwinter nights  (Read 17022 times)

Xaos

FF7 -> Neverwinter nights
« Reply #25 on: 2004-11-18 19:23:30 »
How about this:

-Keep NWN working the way it usually does (i.e. realtime battle, etc.)

- Import models (enemies, items, weapons, materia) but not characters.

Is this doable?

and how about the tilesets?  Can they be imported to NWN?  Maybe just the models and textures?  Walkmeshes?

We have a project that is sort of a prequel to FF7 (about 16 years in the past) and we don't need the original characters.  The PCs will be able to create new characters (NWN style).  The setting is the world of FF7 and some of the enemies should be the same.  We also would like to use the materia system and limit break system.

your thoughts?

Intel-Xeon

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2004-11-19 02:23:02 »
I don't think it's even possible to mess with the combat system like that man..

Well, it probably is, but not easily.

Xaos

« Reply #27 on: 2004-11-19 03:06:45 »
Are you talking about the limit break?

I think it shouldn't be too hard.  I believe that you can check on how much damage PC takes in combat and match it against a preset variable value.  When the damage total equals the Value of the preset variable, you can gives PCs a 'special attack' which would be a custom spell-like ability or innate magic.

James Pond

• Forums Grumpy Bastard....At The Best Of Times.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2004-11-19 07:00:07 »
is it possible to do special attacks on NWN? If you can, set them to only be used at a cetain amount of dmg and then modify the animation scripts.

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2004-11-19 15:10:41 »
Quote from: Xaos
How about this:

-Keep NWN working the way it usually does (i.e. realtime battle, etc.)

- Import models (enemies, items, weapons, materia) but not characters.

Is this doable?

and how about the tilesets?  Can they be imported to NWN?  Maybe just the models and textures?  Walkmeshes?

We have a project that is sort of a prequel to FF7 (about 16 years in the past) and we don't need the original characters.  The PCs will be able to create new characters (NWN style).  The setting is the world of FF7 and some of the enemies should be the same.  We also would like to use the materia system and limit break system.

your thoughts?

Not to sound mean or anything you've just recited what I said and you are asking questions I answered earlier. I hate repeating myself.

As for FF7 prequel I believe they were working on something like that here. I believe school work and time made that project improbable to complete for the forum members :)

As for limit breaks those might be tough.  BUT if any of you read what I said most animations are doable, the challenge is you need new models for combat.  Real time combat will not work like FF7 and I don't recomend trying it either.  I believe euphora on peoples part has given them a disigenuous attitude with such a project.  The reality is you will loose the timing and control like FF7's combat system. The combat system in FF7 I believe to be quite ingeneous and assuming you can't implement it in NWN likely means you don't know much about NWN scripting system.  Yes you can however you need to leave it at turn based OR NWN system will dominate and not FF7's.  You have to end combat rounds for example or you will get anomolies in modeling FF7's combat system.

The models as I said are doable.  You can't create tile sets as easily and as I said it requires a wee bit of work.  A good example would be the wouti village.  Certain mini games would be extremely difficult but not impossible (chocobo race for example would require a few changes but you have the entire track in chocobo.dat).  The minibike one might be harder.   Chocobo's for transportation again likely doable but not easy.  (Essentially main character changes into chocobo model with cloud on it). The Sub thing.. eehhh much harder I'm not sure how to do that at all.  The snow board thing.. might be doable but it won't be like the original.

Battle square is doable.

NWN has a VERY powerful script system. You pretty much can control all aspects of the game engine. Unfortunately you can't for example make an object stay in an area without a walkmesh. You can't have them hover or fly unless it's a fixed distance from the ground. There are lots of gotcha's you just have to be creative in how to redo the game.  Allso as an example you couldn't have the ship going from Junion to Costa Del Sol like it does FF7 UNLESS (hehehe) you make a new area with a walk mesh for that.  The same goes with exploring the sea fighting the weapons etc.  They are all doable but require you to change how they work.  Do expect cut and paste to work on such a thing.

The basic models are doable, the animations will require completion of decoding them, and I've been ignoring them for a few months. You also have to change the models to work with NWN's skinning and clothing system.  For example all the players will have basically the verticies but one will need to expand the number of polygons and add new textures.  New cloths are needed (See wall market with Tifa and Aeris).

The weapon models are all with the combat models in FF7.

Difficult things are Combat round ending animations, stealing in combat, enemy skill.  Vincent's break limits.  Break limits in general.  Summon's (still doable but will be interesting).  Special combat situations (Proudclod for example).  Since some of the combat things have odd characteristics this should be carefully thought out.  Such as the Gi part with Nanaki at Comso.

Scripting will take the place of most of the normal combat in NWN in this ccase. It's just easier to handle.  Special battle royal areas for actual combat is easier than attempting combat in the same area.  The battle areas can handle all the combat.  For example meeting Yufi basically REQUIRES you don't kill her, you can't control that with regular NWN.

The two combat systems are way too disperate to try to use D & D style combat as a substitute FF7 materia system you'll just end up making things even more complicated and it won't work right :o

Have fun.. but think things through carefully.

Cyb

Xaos

« Reply #30 on: 2004-11-20 02:09:17 »
As for FF7 prequel I believe they were working on something like that here.

I am actually not planning on re-making the game.  We are planning on making a NWN persistent world using the setting from FF7.

Real time combat will not work like FF7 and I don't recomend trying it either.

Well actually, The FF7 battle system will absolutely NOT work in a persistent world (As it will impact all of the other players online playing in the PW), so we will have to use a real time combat system.  In fact, the only real change between 'real' realtime battles and the FF7 system is that we will not be 'jumping players to a battle screen'.  All actions in combat (attack, steal, magic, etc.) will be radial menu commands (programmable to the function keys f1-f12 or the hotkey bar).  The battle system will work similar to FFXI (but using systems from FF7).

The combat system in FF7 I believe to be quite ingeneous and assuming you can't implement it in NWN likely means you don't know much about NWN scripting system.

Actually we have these systems already scripted.  We have a working materia system.  It's not the scripting that we are having problems with (we have an excess of master programmers and scripters).  We are mostly having problems with the 'physical graphics' part of the conversion.  Most of us know very little about modelling, texturing, animations...

As for minigames...

I repeat WE ARE NOT REMAKING FF7.  So none of the minigames from the original are even applicable. (accept maybe at the Gold Saucer Wonder Square, but then again, arcades do not typically keep the same games for years anyway.)  The Chocobo thing is actually quite simple (provided we can figure out how to import the chocobo models).  There exists already a similar system for horses.  We will just replace the horse with a chocobo.  The biggest limitation in NWN in regards to minigames is no 'high speed' engine.  The game was never designed to handle high-speed chases and whatnot.  Our minigames will have to work around this.

Difficult things are Combat round ending animations, stealing in combat, enemy skill. Vincent's break limits. Break limits in general. Summon's (still doable but will be interesting). Special combat situations (Proudclod for example). Since some of the combat things have odd characteristics this should be carefully thought out. Such as the Gi part with Nanaki at Comso.

1. We will probably do without the ending combat animations (no big loss IMO)
2. Stealing will work exactly the same as the pick-pocket ability in NWN and since it is realtime, there will be no problems at all.
3. Vincent's Limit breaks?  We probably won't even have vincent in the game, but this is the easiest possible thing there is to do.  It requires no scripting ability whatsoever.  There is a 'polymorph' ability that you can assign to characters.
4. What about the Gi caves would be difficult? (aside from the graphic aspects due to our limited skill)

meeting Yufi basically REQUIRES you don't kill her, you can't control that with regular NWN.

actually yes you can.  It's done in hundreds of community created modules for things like tavern brawls.  It's called non-lethal damage.  There is also a 'surrender' type of scripting option.

I also don't want this to come off as sounding arrogant or defensive.  I just wanted to answer your charges.  I respect your opinion and appreciate a good debate.

We have the scripting part of this project down.  I think even you would be surprised what you can do with the scripting system of the Aurora Engine.  What we actually need the most help with is graphics.  Models, textures, tilesets...  If we knew how to import this kind of thing, the module(PW) would be up and running in a month.

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2004-11-23 00:20:04 »
Hey Ya Xaos, as the original subject was FF7 NWN I went off the deepend ;)

It is doable however.  I'm not sure how great FF7's world will be for a multiplayer module.

I've seen some of Hobbies' set work.  I believe you folks should sit down and write what you think will be good a PW.  Your goals and campaigns will have a few possibilities.  Areas for groups to go kill things.  Small incremental plots that sort of work with the FF7 story.  Another possibilitiy is just have the areas and ... mmm let the players wander? :)

If you want to grab the models they exist in the FF7 PC and FF7 PSX there format is a bit .. mmm difficult but very  complete.  Matching parts of critters would be fun.  I looked at NWN model system tersely. I can't really tell how they handled animation. It will take a bit of time to figure out what they are doing with it.  

Leviathon can view the PC versions models. However there are some interesting changes necessary and I don't know if Mirex has made them.   Namely the first animation frame decoding.  

L. Spiro has been working on the animation decoding and is way further along than anyone else.

You won't need walkmesh information to make your PW so I don't think that information will be helpful to you.  Making tilesets requires a great deal of patience.  I've been working on one for a PW for a while, and to be honest I must have been crazy to try it the way I did :LOL:  You can use gmax to do it but you will need NWMAX script running to get things set up correctly.  I recomend going through the totorials for gmax first then going through the tutorial for making a tile next.  gmax has some differences than 3ds so you have to read NWN's forums for a bit to understand what's going on as not everything works the way you expect.   Since you won't be using the character models from FF7 that's not a big deal.  If you want to use the monster models.. well that makes things interesting at the very least :D

There is some information in the forum on all the 'information' reguarding the monsters and combat situations.  I recomend you look for those threads.  Namely it will allow you to at least make the monsters act like they do somewhat in FF7.  Have fun!

Cyb

Almighty_gir

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2004-11-26 13:53:31 »
do you guys have a modeler for all this yet? if you want me to do any, let me know. im on msn most of the time

[email protected]

aim: rocknrollups

Xaos

« Reply #33 on: 2004-11-26 16:31:04 »
Quote from: Almighty_gir
do you guys have a modeler for all this yet? if you want me to do any, let me know. im on msn most of the time

[email protected]

aim: rocknrollups

come sign on here:

http://ff7mod.hyperboards.com/index.cgi

We definately need you!!!