Author Topic: FF7 (hangs strangely after intro)  (Read 3379 times)

flaredenton

FF7 (hangs strangely after intro)
« on: 2005-05-17 20:39:04 »
Hello, I briefly searched the forums but couldn't find much, cause even the people with problems could at least _start_ the game. Mine hangs up after the intro (Windows 2000 SP4, 2,8 GHZ Athlon, 1024 MB RAM, Radeon 9800 Pro)

To be specific, the movies and the intro play perfectly, but when you see the "new game/continue thing" I can't do anything. ALT+F4 / ALT-TAB get me back to windows, so it is no real "crash", only a hangup.

I tried with the patch 1.2 found in the FAQ on this forum applied and without. Makes no difference.

When anybody has an idea I would be very happy and thankful, cause I payed nearly 40 € for the game on Ebay and don't want to use it as a door stopper... a console is no solution, don't have a TV...

Borde

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2005-05-17 22:49:55 »
Mmmm... I think you haven't got your controls well configured. Did you tried using the num-pad? I think the default configuration has all the keys mapped there.

Goku7

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2005-05-17 22:54:43 »
Windows2000 is the first culprit I'd look into.  FF7 absolutely HATES that version of windows for reasons only God knows why, and from what I understand, sometimes will run wonderfully on one system and crash on another, even if the systems appear to have identical setups -- it's like it's compatibility is being governed by the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle or something. -_-

At any rate, I'd recommend you consider running it on another version of windows (either 98 or XP), provided you are able to do that inexpensively.

-edit-
Actually, scratch what I said about blaming Win2000 first.  If the control setup isn't the problem, then move on to blaming Win2000. :P

RPGillespie

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/rpgillespie6
« Reply #3 on: 2005-05-18 03:59:12 »
I would say that would definatly mean you are not using the right controls.  That happened to me.  I tried using the regular arrow keys when in fact I needed to use the num pad (which I don't have on me laptop)

RPGillespie

Threesixty

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/threesixtyci/
« Reply #4 on: 2005-05-18 20:25:59 »
...i don't think it's locking up.

Like the others said... you use the numpad... and if it's a laptop, your only option (I think) is to try that laptop keypad patch. Which can be found at Eidos support. If I remember, FF7PC doesn't let you remap the keyboard settings, but if you have a controller, it will let you remap the buttons for that.

Borde

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2005-05-18 20:28:52 »
Nop, It actually let's you change the control config through the main menu (but you must start the game in order to get there).

Goku7

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2005-05-18 21:11:57 »
Ah-HA!!!

I just realized how to get around that.  If I'm right, the file named "FF7input.cfg" should store the control mappings.  Now, it doesn't appear to be edit-able in Wordpad or Notepad, but it might be possible for someone who can remap the controls in-game to do so, and then send their re-configured FF7input.cfg to flaredenton, who could then overwrite the one he has.

Logically, this should work... :wicked: