Author Topic: FF8 Black blocks  (Read 9994 times)

Eric1987

• View Profile
FF8 Black blocks
« on: 2006-01-30 20:26:19 »
I applied the 1.2 GeForce patch and I still get this

http://img389.imageshack.us/img389/9112/ff8blackblocks2ln.jpg

3200+
6800GT
1024 RAM
XP Pro

And yes I did use the search but no difinitive answer

Winter

FF8 Black blocks
« Reply #1 on: 2006-01-30 20:39:16 »
Unfortunately, I have exactly the same problem. No fix yet.

Eric1987

• View Profile
FF8 Black blocks
« Reply #2 on: 2006-01-30 20:48:23 »
If you find anything let me know please via AIM or here

XtreM

FF8 Black blocks
« Reply #3 on: 2006-01-30 22:24:31 »
As far i know i already had this problem with the Onboard Radeon 9000 Pro of my laptop :) I fixed it by using a non-patched version of the game. Simply install the game and change nothing normaly it shoudl work ( i hope it's that)

Midgar

• View Profile
FF8 Black blocks
« Reply #4 on: 2006-01-30 22:28:18 »
My friend had this problem when he had downloaded a torrent version of this game. Then he found his old lost game and installed it instead and it worked fine. Its probably because the system files are corrupt.

-gone away-

• View Profile
FF8 Black blocks
« Reply #5 on: 2006-01-31 06:59:56 »
Hey Eric1987, did you end up finding a fix for this?

My little brothers having the same problem on his computer. I've never seen this problem before.

I've tried everything and nothing seems to fix it, the video card is just not displaying the transparencies correcty.

ChaosControl

• ¤
    • View Profile
FF8 Black blocks
« Reply #6 on: 2006-01-31 09:04:59 »
try software render :o
should do the trick...

Winter

FF8 Black blocks
« Reply #7 on: 2006-01-31 11:45:44 »
Software Renderer fix that problem, but you can't run under D3D mode.
Anyway, you won't be able to run in D3D with a card from GF 6 series, because they don't support 8-bit palleted texture by hardware.

ChaosControl

• ¤
    • View Profile
FF8 Black blocks
« Reply #8 on: 2006-01-31 12:21:20 »
it wouldnt matter because 8-bit should just be disabled then and still be running Hardware mode :o

The Skillster

• Loving every Final Fantasy
    • View Profile
FF8 Black blocks
« Reply #9 on: 2006-01-31 17:08:17 »
Have tried turning on 8bit palletted textures by using RivaTuner?

Eric1987

• View Profile
FF8 Black blocks
« Reply #10 on: 2006-01-31 22:04:46 »
Quote from: The Skillster
Have tried turning on 8bit palletted textures by using RivaTuner?

Yeah I've tried everything I could think of. The black blocks dont appear on the field or in a battle just in towns.

-gone away-

• View Profile
FF8 Black blocks
« Reply #11 on: 2006-02-01 03:23:51 »
Have tried turning on 8bit palletted textures by using RivaTuner

The 8-bit pallet checks got nothing to do with it, my computer failes it and it runs fine with no graphical glitchs. It's all to do with a new transparency option/optimisation in the updated geforce drivers however control over this option seems to have been removed.

One person reckons you can downgrade your drivers to version 77.77 to fix the problem, this might be a good temporary fix for the meantime.

by the way to clear things up a bit, 8bit palletted textures is supported by all new hardware, however its generally disabled because of performance issues/compatibility issues and the fact that it really should no longer be used. However it can be re-enabled with the correct registory setting, which is all rivatunner does. Im pretty sure the reason why voodoo cards supported it was because thats as high as they origninally went.

I'm going to go search threw my internet history to find the website i hadup about how to fix up the transparency issues and will post a better fix for it latter (i seem to have lost it :oops: at the moment). This problem is a well known recent issue with geforce cards and apparently and doesnt only affect FF8.

--- UPDATE ---

Well I suck, i couldn't fix it. I would say your only hope is to wait for newer drivers that fix it to come out. I've tried just about every option in rivatuner but none of them seem to make a difference. As for the transparency option thats for cards newer than the 6800 only aparently, i havent been able to find anyone with the 6800 that has been able to fix it.

if you want to try and fix it i would reccomend to search around over at www.guru3D.com as there are alot of various tweak programs there. I might search around a bit more latter one but i wouldn't count on it, this problem doesn't affect me and my little bros gone off to use a different computer anyway.

Winter

FF8 Black blocks
« Reply #12 on: 2006-02-01 22:06:12 »
Downgrading to older drivers won't do any good if we're talking about GF 6 series. It was good only for old GF FX series.

Many people confirmed that the newest graphic cards don't support 8-bit palleted textures, but there has to be a fix. FF7 had same problems and they fixed all the problems and disabled 8-bit palleted texture option in FF7 program configuration and it's working. There's no cure for FF8 because there are unfortunately less fans of the game.

I hope someone will really take care and make some fix.

ChaosControl

• ¤
    • View Profile
FF8 Black blocks
« Reply #13 on: 2006-02-02 08:29:47 »
I really don't know then, i have a GeForce FX5200 and it does 8-bit palletes so...

*shrugs*

Winter

FF8 Black blocks
« Reply #14 on: 2006-02-02 08:57:37 »
GF FX series has 8-bit palleted textures hardware support, I had such graphic card and know it from autopsy.

I also know a guy who has GF FX 5200 and runs FF8 without any problems.

Winter

FF8 Black blocks
« Reply #15 on: 2006-02-02 08:59:58 »
Oh, I almost forgot. If you are really desperated then I suggest to install the drivers from 45.xx series, you just have to modify .ini file (take a look at guru3d.com how to do it) and playing FF8 in D3D is guaranteed :)

-gone away-

• View Profile
FF8 Black blocks
« Reply #16 on: 2006-02-02 09:05:57 »
Does the FX5200 work fine?

From what ive seen and read the problem seems to be limited to the 6800 alone. I wonder whats so different about it that screws it up.

My guess is that it has something to do with the alpha channel, maybe it expects it to be blue rather than black like HL. You might want to head over to http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?id=19 and check out the modded driver downloads, just test out a few. You might find a driver that helps out.

Winter: 8-bit palletes is supported by the 6800, download and install rivatunner or nvhardedge (or just about any other tweak utility) to check out the settings. Otherwise textures in game wouldn't show up at all. Its only the config that fail's to find it, but that doesn't matter.

---

doh.. you's posted while i was typeing

Winter

FF8 Black blocks
« Reply #17 on: 2006-02-02 10:54:55 »
They disabled 8-bit palleted textures, because of it's influence on performance.

ChaosControl

• ¤
    • View Profile
FF8 Black blocks
« Reply #18 on: 2006-02-02 11:28:06 »
its only turned off software wise, you can still put it on again with a tweak program.

The Skillster

• Loving every Final Fantasy
    • View Profile
FF8 Black blocks
« Reply #19 on: 2006-02-02 12:30:26 »
the geforece FX series should be fine, I have a geforce FX 5900 and 5200 and they both run FF7 fine, I can use the hi res patch on the FX5900 as well.

Threesixty

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/threesixtyci/
FF8 Black blocks
« Reply #20 on: 2006-02-03 20:48:13 »
The main reason why 8bit pallet isn't a concern with FF7 is because Eidos released an 8bit bypass patch.... called the TNT patch. FF8 never got such a patch. You're at the mercy of the video drivers as far as Hardware mode is concerned.

However FF7 has video and audio codec problems. FF7 depends Window's programs and drivers to work. Seems that when these things get updated (probably automaticly without your knowledge), FF7PC pretty much breaks.

I figure this to be true, because with a fresh install of WindowsXP, my copy of FF7PC works perfectly. But after about a month of normal computer use. I noticed major audio garble, and framerate slideshow pauses during FMV's and Battles, afterwards.

About the only thing you can really do is go back to the old technology, and play the game on an old Pentium or something with a Voodoo2 card.

TerrorT

FF8 Black blocks
« Reply #21 on: 2006-02-04 08:49:01 »
hm count me in as one of the victims too :weep: hm someone has to make such a patch as the one for FF7, it takes away the 8-Bit just threesixty said. But i dont think there are much people who can do such a thing.

On the nvidia forum is currently running a topic about the issue, i hope that if the topic stays on fire that nvidia would stand up and create a patch.
but i guess that are only dreams :weep:

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
FF8 Black blocks
« Reply #22 on: 2006-02-04 15:06:44 »
The lack of support for 8-bit Palleted Textures is not what causes the black boxes in FF8.  While the black boxes do seem to be an issue with later graphics cards, I have a number of cards (my old TNT2 and GeForce4...  I think the Radeon 9800 as well) that fail 8-bit Palleted Textures and run the game just fine.  (Unlike FF7, FF8 still allows you to select Direct3D if 8-bit Palleted Textures fails.)

Although yeah, NVIDIA could probably fix the black box issue with a driver update if they felt like it.

TerrorT

FF8 Black blocks
« Reply #23 on: 2006-02-04 15:29:53 »
hmm guess that will be the problem, don't think nvidia wants to put any effort in making such a patch. On the other hand if many people will gather in the Final fantasy 8 topic, maybe they will do it, for their reputation among the gamers:) i don't know if i may post a link to that thread.... But i think if all FF8 players would gather in that thread, we have better chances for getting such a patch.

Nvidia forums--> search for: Final Fantasy VIII

i say, let here your voice in there

CkRtech

• View Profile
    • http://foxyford83.proboards20.com/
FF8 Black blocks
« Reply #24 on: 2006-02-07 01:34:36 »
You could always:

1: Create an online petition
2: Gather your Final Fantasy resources (message boards, fan sites, etc) & attempt to get supporting individuals to sign it.
3: Write a big butter-up e-mail to Nvidia requesting they please implement support for 8-bit P.T. in the drivers and link to the petition showing interest.

Best of luck with this, guys. I have a Radeon 9800 Pro like Aaron mentioned & don't have any problems with it.