Author Topic: Contradictions in the Final Fantasy Cutscenes  (Read 6026 times)

The Black-caped Man

• The time........has come........!
    • View Profile
Contradictions in the Final Fantasy Cutscenes
« on: 2007-12-31 17:02:48 »
Just wanted to know why the programmers of Final Fantasy IV, V and VI changed the hair colours of some chars in cutscenes? Best example: Terra. In game her hair is green, in cutscenes its always blond. Or Butz from FFV, who has brown hair but in the cutscenes he has white! :?
What did the programmers think when they did that? Changing all the characteristics of our beautiful 2D chars?

obesebear

• View Profile
Re: Contradictions in the Final Fantasy Cutscenes
« Reply #1 on: 2007-12-31 17:20:11 »
In FFVI Terra's hair was made to look green in-game because with her hair blonde she too closely resembled Celes because of the limited 16-bit design.  Also of note... Terra's name was/is Tina, but was changed during the translation from Japan.

The Black-caped Man

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007-12-31 21:02:42 »
Yeah her name was changed. Same as other characters:

Examples:
Seraph Sephiroth somehow became Safer :lol:
And changes from English to german for instance:
Amaranth became Mahagon(Though Amaranth sounds cooler to me^^)
There are more though but Im too tired of writing everything maybe Ill try someday

Tsetra

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008-01-01 21:19:48 »
A lot of people would argue that Safer is the correct translation, aluding to the fact Sephiroth's name has it's roots in Judiasm and the Qabbalah, as does Safer. But as there's no official word from Square, and he DOES have the appearance that suggests Seraph, it could go either way. But, old argument  :|

Back on topic, it probably has to do with Amano originally designing the character concepts with blonde hair. Of course, he draws nearly EVERY Final Fantasy character with blonde hair, so when it comes time to implement them into the game, it's easy to see why certain characters get colors changed. This doesn't happen so much anymore since Nomura and/or other team members do the concepts for the characters, while Amano seems to only do official box artwork.
Personally, with today's technology I'd like to see Square create a game entirely based on Amano's intricate artwork, that really is only now possible since his detail level is so high. Or better yet a modern remake of FF6 using Amano's designs. The Magitek Armor would rule. Too bad that'll never happen.  :roll:

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008-01-01 23:15:21 »
As a matter of fact the upcoming PSP game Final Fantasy: Dissidia, has a character using Amano's drawings.  It's hard for me to associate the drawing with who it actually is on the game but I believe it's someone from FF6...  Locke maybe?

The Black-caped Man

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008-01-02 06:56:55 »
Btw when will Dissidia come out? I only heard a few rumors about it but I know that many characters of FFs are in there, like Kuja, Zidan, I think even the main char of FF I thats on the Origins cover.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008-01-02 08:05:34 »
This summer for Japan...  I think I read that somewhere.  So maybe late 2010 or mid 2015 for NA and the rest of the world.

The Black-caped Man

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008-01-03 12:31:08 »
Lol. Yeah. Why do always have to wait for so long?

Master Ridley

• Space Pirate Supreme Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008-01-03 14:09:33 »
Seraph Sephiroth somehow became Safer :lol:

Safer Sephiroth means Book of Numbers, a biblical reference.

The Black-caped Man

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008-01-03 14:23:57 »
Yes but in fact, Sephiroth doesnt "save" anyone, or do you think that he wants to "save" the world from Cloud&friends or that he wants to save Jenova?

No, Sephiroth said that he wants to be reborn as a god by uniting with the spiritual energy. And Seraph is the highest class of angels as you know, which is nearly a god, so they wanna say, Sephiroth is very close to his goal.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008-01-03 14:33:59 »
I didn't know that!!  Book of Numbers does make a lot of sense though.  How did you find that out?

Master Ridley

• Space Pirate Supreme Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008-01-03 14:44:40 »
Yes but in fact, Sephiroth doesnt "save" anyone, or do you think that he wants to "save" the world from Cloud&friends or that he wants to save Jenova?

No, Sephiroth said that he wants to be reborn as a god by uniting with the spiritual energy. And Seraph is the highest class of angels as you know, which is nearly a god, so they wanna say, Sephiroth is very close to his goal.

Never stated anything like that. All I said was that "Safer Sephiroth" translates to "Book of Numbers", so I'm not insinuating that Sephiroth is trying to save anyone nor did I state he was.

The Black-caped Man

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2008-01-03 19:44:34 »
Oh sry then I gotcha wrong. Book of Numbers hmm......Isnt Sephiroth the hebrew term used for the ten divine emanations in the cabalistic life tree?
I think so because in Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne you collect the ten candelabrum, where each of them has a place in the "Sephiroth".