Author Topic: New Field backgrounds/CG Cutscenes thread  (Read 183311 times)

Xenobond

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio Site
Re: New Field backgrounds/CG Cutscenes thread
« Reply #175 on: 2010-02-27 03:24:53 »
I only took that training room because it would be the easiest to re-create. Also as a test case to see what is the best resolution multiplier to use on these, and if they'll even work at those resolutions. Since it was also such a simple scene *cough*, I'll probably just put the whole thing up to help others that are interested and able to help.

Maybe I'll put some work into it this weekend. I've only got a couple props and then the gate to make. Then I can add some clutter around the edges of the room. It's just too even and clean for something in the 'slums'.

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: 2010-02-27 03:32:36 »
That message wasn't really directed at you. More for timu who i asked for help aligning the camera for the scene he is doing and he decided that he would just do the whole thing himself

Xenobond

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio Site
« Reply #177 on: 2010-02-27 03:46:48 »
I know. I was mostly replying to what timu had mentioned. I wasn't planning on doing any more of the sector 7 slums. At some point when I get Tifa done I'll probably hit up one of the more organic areas (maybe one that has animations). Just need to get to the point where it actually works properly and we can easily test it.

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: 2010-02-27 03:59:37 »
Well i can test for functionality right now, just not resolutions. But since everything will be rendered we can always change the render size when palmer is able to handle larger files.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: 2010-02-27 14:31:15 »
In that case i guess i'll take care of the slums :P

BlitzNCS

• Master of nothing in particular
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #180 on: 2010-02-27 17:36:17 »
Does this mean I have to do Junon in it's entirety!?

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: 2010-02-27 17:41:45 »

Yes, yes it does. Have fun  :D

edit: Hmm i guess that means i have to do the inside of the train. Not too bad i suppose. Someone else will be texturing it though. I are not good at that sort of thing.

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: 2010-02-27 17:45:48 »

lol, i experienced a similar feeling when i began WMRP!

BlitzNCS

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #183 on: 2010-02-27 18:52:21 »
Someone else will be texturing it though. I are not good at that sort of thing.

If you aren't texturing, you at least have to UV the thing :P. It'll save the texturer over 9000 hours of time (It's really, really tedious IMO. moreso than actually modelling, I'm dreading UV'ing the Junon buildings  :'().

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: 2010-02-27 19:30:39 »
I dont know UV mapping. And from the way you make it sound im not sure if i want to learn lol

BlitzNCS

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #185 on: 2010-02-27 20:52:32 »
I dont know UV mapping. And from the way you make it sound im not sure if i want to learn lol

Well, I've never succesfully unwrapped a models UV's either, but I'm still gonna give it a go. You don't learn unless you try  ;)

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: 2010-02-27 21:03:16 »
Note the 'want to learn' in my previous post.

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: 2010-02-28 00:00:06 »

Well, I've never succesfully unwrapped a models UV's either, but I'm still gonna give it a go. You don't learn unless you try  ;)
You are using Maya correct?
This is one thing I dislike about most modelers is the need to use texture maps instead of generated maps.
By a generated map I mean such as you would use in POV ray ...
example need a grainy stone texture? You can make it in POV.  The nice thing is you can apply it over a huge area and randomize the texture per brick for example. Then you can define your walls using a simple macro (IE you have a brick wall macro) and add the base matrix of data. Add window treatment information to insert at proper locations. IT sounds tedious but if you compare it to manipulating a UV map to stick onto a surface it's childs play by comparison. Mostly because it's just programming once you have the base set of macros done everything almost completely self generates based on that.

I've hated UV mapping since Quake (1 that is Doom didn't have UV mapping on models).

Although POVray supports UV mapping very few people use it because it's tedious and difficult.  It's much easier to spontaneously create the surface color affects for objects than to paste them on. In addition you can tweak the way light reflects off surfaces with relative ease (randomly or what have you).

The big problem with such an approach admittedly is no one uses things like POV for such things, still you can get with a very simple scene extremely impressive results without a huge effort.

The biggest drawback I've noticed is you have to understand PROGRAMMING to use POV effectively. :D

That I have no problem with but other people I am certain would. I may take a look at Shinra mansion. Is there a particular output format you gents/ladies using?

Cyb

BlitzNCS

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #188 on: 2010-02-28 00:55:37 »
You are using Maya correct?
Actually no, I use 3Dsmax. but from what I understand, POV ray is a seperate program, right?

This is one thing I dislike about most modelers is the need to use texture maps instead of generated maps.
By a generated map I mean such as you would use in POV ray ...
example need a grainy stone texture? You can make it in POV.  The nice thing is you can apply it over a huge area and randomize the texture per brick for example. Then you can define your walls using a simple macro (IE you have a brick wall macro) and add the base matrix of data. Add window treatment information to insert at proper locations. IT sounds tedious but if you compare it to manipulating a UV map to stick onto a surface it's childs play by comparison. Mostly because it's just programming once you have the base set of macros done everything almost completely self generates based on that.

I've hated UV mapping since Quake (1 that is Doom didn't have UV mapping on models).

Although POVray supports UV mapping very few people use it because it's tedious and difficult.  It's much easier to spontaneously create the surface color affects for objects than to paste them on. In addition you can tweak the way light reflects off surfaces with relative ease (randomly or what have you).

The big problem with such an approach admittedly is no one uses things like POV for such things, still you can get with a very simple scene extremely impressive results without a huge effort.

The biggest drawback I've noticed is you have to understand PROGRAMMING to use POV effectively. :D

I'm definately for this idea. I agree it would be a lot simpler than manually making textures Although, I hardly know any programming at all, so this could be a problem for me.

I may take a look at Shinra mansion. Is there a particular output format you gents/ladies using?

Cyb

None, just as long as you can render it, it shouldn't matter at all. If you plan to send it to people, make sure it supports cameras, and that's all really. .3DS is a good one

EDIT:
Here's an image of junon right now. Just need to customize those last two buildings on the left and then I can start working properly on the smaller, less important things in the scene

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x74/beefpwnage/ModellingJunon.jpg
« Last Edit: 2010-02-28 01:42:36 by NeoCloudstrife »

Grimmy

• Join in my tarnished light.
    • View Profile
    • GrimmyGames
« Reply #189 on: 2010-02-28 02:30:38 »
-
« Last Edit: 2010-02-28 02:37:00 by Grimmy »

Cupcake

• And then it dawned on me, that Satan is also an old fuck.
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: 2010-02-28 07:47:55 »
see, its projects like this that make me wish I could actually do the art side of this stuff.  Rather than just use the stuff and understand how it works (not that I could do the coding side either).

Oh well.  I also wish I could use this efficiently (EeePC + OpenGL = no happy, so I've gotta not use things like the new spells)

BlitzNCS

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #191 on: 2010-02-28 10:02:30 »
Oh well.  I also wish I could use this efficiently (EeePC + OpenGL = no happy, so I've gotta not use things like the new spells)
Well I guess we could also release these images in the original resolution, but then that's pretty pointless since Square's are probably much better at that resolution anyway.

EDIT:
Got a question to ask everyone which may help me finish junon quicker.

This is how I currently have junon mapped out in my head. Basically 7 "streets" on each side. What i'm wondering is if each street is just one row of 5 buildings (one of which is slightly smaller than the rest), if that made any sense at all. The reason I ask is that there seems to be a lot of inconsistencies with junon, and I can't really tell. From Here and Here, it looks like the buildings are more random, and there are more than five on each side. But from Here, Here, and the field images, it looks like there are only five on each street, and that they're a lot more uniform.
I'm just thinking ahead since once I finish modelling this one scene, I'll have to move on to Junon on a larger scale.

Also, I forsee a problem. Copying my nearly finished Junon street 14 times and viewing it realtime puts a massive strain on my laptop. Then I tried a (very simple i.e no lighting at all) render just to see what would happen, and now Max isn't responding. Thank God I saved it, since I knew it would happen. Am I going to have to make a lower poly version of the streets as well, so that I can render scenes like This without it taking 4 years?
« Last Edit: 2010-02-28 12:00:47 by NeoCloudstrife »

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: 2010-02-28 14:23:47 »
Neo, if you send the files to me i can render it (might need to be told what settings to use) have a phenom 2 x4 and two gpus

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: 2010-02-28 15:39:15 »
@ cybrman, I think the format we'll use when sharing scenes is .fbx or fbox er whatever its called, kinda autodesks scene format, works between max n maya i beleive, and i think includes cameras and even anims too. I'd love to see yer work on shinra mansion. no cinematics for you to render :P.

Concerning materials, i dunno bout POVray, I'll look into it, but it sounds like custom coded procedural textures. I've played with procedural textures in blender, n they're kinda messy but the concept is very usefull for this kind of work. I'm learning maya as we speak, and when i get to the chapters on material n stuff i'll be sure to share. (animation is next, n i think materials are some time after that, srry peeps, but going in order).

@neocloud, Go with the info available in ff7, as every peice of the compilation changes how things look :P. If you followed Noen's making of midgar, you'll notice how he went through a bunch of references, and they were all different, every version of midgar changes the scale, for the sake of wtv. I'd go with 5 even buildings. Its a shinra structure, n between midgar and junon they're fairly simmetrical. (8 identical reactors, junon is very simmetrical). plus in CC they have all the buildings at random heights, but that would mess up the system of the armor plates flying up to cover them, I'd think they've make it easy on themselves to mass produce those shields, and have them all the same :P. As to the viewing 14 copies, were they wireframe? in maya at least you can choose which objects are shown shaded, solid, or wireframe.

Cupcake

• And then it dawned on me, that Satan is also an old fuck.
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: 2010-02-28 17:12:16 »
Well I guess we could also release these images in the original resolution, but then that's pretty pointless since Square's are probably much better at that resolution anyway.

To be perfectly honest, the only changes I really like, are the new font (if only my computer rendered them properly, lines pop up all over them), and the new materia.  simple cosmetic stuff, you know.  The new spells I can actually deal without, the WMRP is a little too heavy for my graphics card.  It'll run, but it takes forever to load.  Just stuff like that, you know?

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: 2010-03-01 02:02:48 »

To be perfectly honest, the only changes I really like, are the new font (if only my computer rendered them properly, lines pop up all over them), and the new materia.  simple cosmetic stuff, you know.  The new spells I can actually deal without, the WMRP is a little too heavy for my graphics card.  It'll run, but it takes forever to load.  Just stuff like that, you know?

I don't really understand the relevance of this post. If you do not like parts of the overhaul don't use them. Pretty simple solution.

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: 2010-03-01 06:22:53 »
Lookin very nice! Lets see some doors!

Doors:

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: 2010-03-01 11:52:54 »
Looking great SL. keep up the amazing work :D

BlitzNCS

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #198 on: 2010-03-02 18:36:25 »
Latest images

Buildings are 100% done now, I'll tweak them a little But I think they look ok for now.
« Last Edit: 2010-03-02 19:31:07 by NeoCloudstrife »

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: 2010-03-02 18:42:27 »
Awesome job Neo! :D