Author Topic: Windows 7 64 bit install doesn't happen.  (Read 4163 times)

DarkSarin

Windows 7 64 bit install doesn't happen.
« on: 2010-05-05 05:25:42 »
I have currently sitting in my system tray, setup.exe *32 from trying to install FF7 on my windows 7 (64bt) PC.  it is using 1,556 K of memory and ZERO CPU.

I have tried various versions of compatibility mode, and nothing I have done is working.

Can anyone tell me anything else to try, or how they got FF7 installed in windows 7 x64?

I really want to play this game!!!!

I've had these disks for YEARS and haven't played them since my emachine that i had when I first got the game, died.  It was replaced with a new machine, and I haven't played it since.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Ben

therage800

• View Profile
    • TheRage800
Re: Windows 7 64 bit install doesn't happen.
« Reply #1 on: 2010-05-05 07:16:19 »
All I can tell you is that it has nothing to do with 64 bit Windows 7.

DarkSarin

« Reply #2 on: 2010-05-05 14:09:43 »
Well that's good to know.

Actually, it 'installed' last night after a reboot (which really *shouldn't* make a difference!!!), but it never asked for any of the secondary discs, and now it goes straight to a blank screen, no start up sounds, and hangs there.  Additionally, I can still click on stuff that's 'behind' the blank screen--browser links etc.  It's not locking up the PC, since I can mouse over to my second monitor and access anything there (including the task manager which lets me kill it).

Searching around these forums, I see that the most likely culprit is codec support, so I'll try that tonight. 

Of course all this will become relegated to the background once StarCrack 2 comes out.  So I need to get it done quick so I can play through before then.

FF7 is STILL, in my mind, one of the BEST games ever made.

cmay119

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010-05-05 15:04:48 »
Yep you need the movie codec as Windows 7 doesn't normally include it the same way as Windows XP does. Make certain to run the game as an administrator, and check the box to always do so, otherwise when you save, the saved games won't actually be written and you'll start from the beginning again. Make certain as well to install the Official 1.02 Patch for hardware acceleration support and some bug fixes. From there, you can do all the tweaking you desire to get the game to your liking.

DETONATOR

« Reply #4 on: 2010-05-10 22:47:37 »
yes i got it going other night was a little bit of hassle to say the least.

notes before installing:
·   you have to choose maximum installation of the game if you are about to apply mods
·   don't install DirectX and Directshow components that the installation program offers (use latest DirectX)

get the microsoft direct x update, have k-lite mega codec pack, duck.exe truemotion codec, the 1.02 patch, chocobo patch,

==================================================================================================================
TrueMotion codec

Recommended setup to clean your codec mess and make FF7 use this filter:
0.   Have latest DirectX and latest drivers for your graphic adapter installed
1.   Download and install the latest K-lite codec pack (google yourself)
-   the installation program will prompt you to remove all installed codecs or corrupted entries...answer yes to do it automatically.
-   it's recommended to install default profile of the codec pack
2.   Install duck.exe (TrueMotion codec)
3.   Now run ffdshow video decoder configuration via Start->Programs->K-lite codec pack->Configuration->ffdshow->video decoder configuration and disable TrueMotion handling.

This should solve all codec problems you may come across with FF7.
====================================================================================================================

also whichever drive your using for discs dvd or daemon tools go to regedit and go to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE> SOFTWARE> Wow6432Node> Square Soft Inc> Final Fantasy

click on final fantasy and click on "DataDrive" change value edit letter J:\ or G:\ etc pick which one disk is in.
=================================================================================

only got it going yesterday as i got bored of 13 and I was stuck on FF7 40hours in ......years ago if you uninstall also check in C: after it has done so and delete square soft inc folder just to be sure..removing mod files!!
best of luck...also the saints patch wrecked mine??

Aali's patch, Project phoenix, Avalanche and FiceDula all working fine.

http://www.finalfantasy7pc.com/mods/ff7pcmods.html has good videos on mod's on youtube
« Last Edit: 2010-05-11 09:03:11 by DETONATOR »