Author Topic: black screen in FFVII please help  (Read 7646 times)

FFVIIfan

black screen in FFVII please help
« on: 2006-08-03 02:23:20 »
I have Final Fantasy VII and I start a new game. The cutscene runs smoothly and then the screen goes black. I then hear some noise but all I see is a black screen and a blue dialogue box saying "Hey, newcomer follow me"

Please help

P.S I read the FAQ and there was nothing on a black screen.

Amorak

Re: black screen in FFVII please help
« Reply #1 on: 2006-08-03 02:42:54 »
I have the same problem with my game. What stats does your computer have?

have you tried the 1.02 patch then switch it to "TNT" mode?

FFVIIfan

« Reply #2 on: 2006-08-03 14:50:49 »
yea but it doesnt work :(

i read somewhere that someone had this problem also, so they switched it to 16-bit color, but i dont know how to do that..

zero88

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006-08-03 16:46:39 »
Right-click on your desktop, click "Properties," "Settings," "Color Quality," "Medium - 16 bit."

Though it won't do anything. Final Fantasy VII automatically reverts to 16 bit color, anyway, unless you have the 32 bit patch applied, which I'm doubting that you do.

I guess it might have some effect. The high resolution patch won't work on my computer unless I set my resolution to 1280x960 on the desktop prior to playing the game. It will automatically go to 1280x1024, if I have that part of the patch applied. I don't know if that's a common problem; I mention it, though, because maybe setting your desktop to 16 bit color could help.

If nothing else, run the game in Software Rendering. I hear it isn't quite like Hardware Rendering, but at least it should work.

Amorak

« Reply #4 on: 2006-08-03 22:09:45 »
I get the same problem with software rendering.

I tried the high rez patch durring the weekend and got an error. ill try it again at the resolution you specified.

Laeglis

« Reply #5 on: 2006-08-05 00:23:10 »
I have Final Fantasy VII and I start a new game. The cutscene runs smoothly and then the screen goes black. I then hear some noise but all I see is a black screen and a blue dialogue box saying "Hey, newcomer follow me"

Please help

P.S I read the FAQ and there was nothing on a black screen.

I have this exact same problem.  The only thing i had to do was right after Barret says "Hey newcomer..." press MENU then exit the menu screen.  Works for me every time i start a new game.

And FYI, i've had this problem with the unmodified version of FF7 AND any patches or mods i've added on to the game.

Hope this helps.

Xelane

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008-04-12 04:41:54 »
ok i have the exact same problem and i tried doing that but when i'm supposed to fight the guards i get the "send error report"

Xelane

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008-04-12 05:32:00 »
interestingly enough if i play the game via the new music patch i can play the game but there is NO backround WHATSOEVER and texture colors are the opposite of what they should be (like the slash animation is green instead of yellow)

Swampthing15

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008-04-12 05:36:07 »
ffviifan:

perhaps u can instal the GyptInstant patch....this is a cutscene skip and it causes that problem, but also has a ctrl+d function that should bring it back

dziugo

• View Profile
    • A new copy of FF7 thanks to Salk. Pack (zip/rar/etc) your saved game before sending it to me.
« Reply #9 on: 2008-04-12 07:39:25 »
The black screen problem can also be "fixed" by entering the menu and then just leaving it. The problem with crashes when entering the battle might be fixed by YAMP + MiniGamesPatch. It's not guaranteed to work though...

Xelane

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008-04-12 08:49:43 »
the problem as i just recently found out was the official v1.02 patch after removal the game worked fine

one more thing if somebody can explain this: i tried using the reconstruction patch and while walking around on the regular maps like inside cities it's still blocky but on the field its in the high detail that i was trying to get in the cities...anyone know how i can reverse that?

HeavensCloud

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008-04-14 17:06:01 »
Yeah the black screen problem seems to be pretty common.  Its basically your game refusing to synch up any scene where 3D models interact with FMV, which is what happens with the train at the beginning.

If you have this problem, the menu trick will work, but you are pretty much guaranteed to freeze up at the Cosmo Canyon Observatory and the Gondola Date, so make sure to look up the Gypt program and use that to get past those parts.