Author Topic: FFVII Video Crash (biglight.avi)  (Read 8445 times)

qwerty103

• View Profile
FFVII Video Crash (biglight.avi)
« on: 2009-01-12 03:03:58 »
Can somebody help me? I couldn't get past to it because it always crashes whenever Im at this video. I installed both DirectX 5.0 and Movie Player (I think it's required?) during installation. I had no problems with it except it freezes whenever I'm at this video. What am I missing? Please help.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: 2009-01-12 03:06:43 by qwerty103 »

Landarma

• View Profile
Re: FFVII Video Crash (biglight.avi)
« Reply #1 on: 2009-01-12 04:01:23 »
Can somebody help me? I couldn't get past to it because it always crashes whenever Im at this video. I installed both DirectX 5.0 and Movie Player (I think it's required?) during installation. I had no problems with it except it freezes whenever I'm at this video. What am I missing? Please help.

Thanks in advance.
Installing DX5 and 'movie player' is not required for current OS(I don't think DX5 will be installed when DX9 or 10 is already installed), though you have to install Truemotion 2.0 codec for FMVs.  About that 'biglight.avi', isn't it 'WEAPONS flying from Northern Crater' scene?  I once read it from FF Wiki that the game freezes at that point when you play it under WinXP or later.  Maybe set resolution to '640 x 480, quarter' can solve this, but I have not tried it yet.

qwerty103

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009-01-12 04:32:38 »

Thanks in advance.
Installing DX5 and 'movie player' is not required for current OS(I don't think DX5 will be installed when DX9 or 10 is already installed), though you have to install Truemotion 2.0 codec for FMVs.  About that 'biglight.avi', isn't it 'WEAPONS flying from Northern Crater' scene?  I once read it from FF Wiki that the game freezes at that point when you play it under WinXP or later.  Maybe set resolution to '640 x 480, quarter' can solve this, but I have not tried it yet.

Oh yes I forgot that about the DX, I just thought the software needed it or something so I left that one checked (cuz it was default checked). I'm not sure what movie player is though. I also left that one checked too because it was default as well. Thanks for clearing that up. Yes you are right about the Northern Crater. I'm using Vista btw can that be the problem too? I don't really think it's the Vista.

So I have to manually install the Truemotion 2.0 codec? I thought it is automatically installed? I know I heard it somewhere. Btw you know how to uninstall the codecs in case I need to uninstall them?

Anyway I think I'm going to reinstall. So I can just uncheck both DX5 and movieplayer during my reinstallation right?

Thanks for replying.
« Last Edit: 2009-01-12 04:35:02 by qwerty103 »

dziugo

• View Profile
    • A new copy of FF7 thanks to Salk. Pack (zip/rar/etc) your saved game before sending it to me.
« Reply #3 on: 2009-01-12 09:28:52 »
It's the movie file which is most likely corrupted. You have to either replace it with another one, or skip it soon enough (before the part which crashes the game). Use YAMP + Gypt in case you want to skip it.

qwerty103

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009-01-12 15:09:58 »
It's the movie file which is most likely corrupted. You have to either replace it with another one, or skip it soon enough (before the part which crashes the game). Use YAMP + Gypt in case you want to skip it.

How did it become corrupted? I don't get it.

If so how can I replace it?

dziugo

• View Profile
    • A new copy of FF7 thanks to Salk. Pack (zip/rar/etc) your saved game before sending it to me.
« Reply #5 on: 2009-01-12 15:22:30 »

There is just an edition with few corrupted movies. You can replace it with a working one by doing the "movies from hdd" trick and replacing that file, or burning new CD with that file replaced. The problem is obviously getting a good (-> not corrupted) file. Can't help you with that.

Skipping the movie will probably be a lot easier.

qwerty103

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009-01-12 16:08:30 »

There is just an edition with few corrupted movies. You can replace it with a working one by doing the "movies from hdd" trick and replacing that file, or burning new CD with that file replaced. The problem is obviously getting a good (-> not corrupted) file. Can't help you with that.

Skipping the movie will probably be a lot easier.

Wow that sucks.

After researching, some people told me that I have to change the moviepath to the hdd through regedit because the problem is with the codec that the game uses to render video. If I understand correctly, another alternative way is to install that codec I've been hearing all over (Truemotion?) so I don't have to copy the movies from the CD right? But I thought they were already automatically installed during installation? Forgive me for my ignorance.

Well I know how to do the moviepath, but I'm just wondering if there's a better way to fix this without changing the moviepath from the CD so it's more convenient, you know what I mean?

If Install that Truemotion codec will that fix the problem?

dziugo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009-01-12 16:36:27 »
Well I know how to do the moviepath, but I'm just wondering if there's a better way to fix this without changing the moviepath from the CD so it's more convenient, you know what I mean?
If skipping the movie doesn't count as "fixing" the problem then you're on your own.
If Install that Truemotion codec will that fix the problem?
If you played your game up to this point with no problems (such as black screen problem or crash at cosmo canyon), then I'm pretty sure that the codec is installed properly.

qwerty103

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009-01-12 16:54:45 »
If skipping the movie doesn't count as "fixing" the problem then you're on your own.

Thanks for your help.
« Last Edit: 2009-01-12 16:59:55 by qwerty103 »