Author Topic: [FF7] Tutorial for Bootleg - Tifa's Bootleg  (Read 2436136 times)

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
Re: [Tutorial] Tifa's Bootleg
« Reply #850 on: 2013-06-02 21:26:01 »
Followed all instructions, and everything worked perfectly.  Well...so far anyway.  Just see lots of people having troubles, wanted to let you know that the instructions work for some people as well!

-2012 Rerelease
-Win 7 Pro 64-bit

Woohoo, my hero. Thanks  ;D

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: 2013-06-02 21:27:23 »
Everything seems to work fine with my installation of FF7 2012 PC re-release with the Tifa Bootleg, except that on my first visit to the Gold Saucer, Dio's chest is missing.

Can you open up your BFE.exe and post me the Brat code that it's in the Installation tab.

Xenovann

• Currently working on 7 A.P.
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: 2013-06-03 01:09:29 »
P.S. If you find an image you like, you could probably throw it in an editing program, split it into 6 parts, and save them as opback_a_00.png, opback_b_00.png, etc. and then replace them in the ...\mods\Bootleg\cr folder. I said before there were 5 parts, but there are actually 6. Sorry about that!

I already did all that this morning, thanks though. Also put custom music in. However, I went into battle and Tifa was the default one and her face is scary looking. How do I edit that manually?

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: 2013-06-03 03:10:51 »
Was she messed up in battle prior to all this? If not, then you have done something to alter the battle.lpg after Bootleg applied all your options to it. You would now need to run Bootleg again, or use an unpacker, import her models, then pack it up again. You can use this tool to do so: http://www.mediafire.com/?zxj5iyzzmwi

Use this spreadsheet to find (ctrl+f) the names of Tifa's model parts: https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AniNoDVsrYhVdG0zZERUT0tsOF91eHE2WHo4ZWRseWc&gid=3
« Last Edit: 2013-06-03 03:13:47 by EQ2Alyza »

Template

• Life is a series of cats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: 2013-06-03 03:20:19 »
Using that LGPGui tool is so awesome. I mess my ff7 install up on purpose sometimes just so I can fix it again. I need a new hobby.

Xenovann

• View Profile
« Reply #855 on: 2013-06-03 04:30:00 »
I dont think its anything I did, I deleted everything and reinstalled it all with bootleg just to make sure. Also chose vanilla this time in case the remake changes did something.

Uhhhh... I have no idea how to do this. h-hellp. So I want to fix JKA Tifa if itll work. I downloaded the unpacker and theres five folders and inside each is a lgp.exe which double clicking it does nothing.. from what they talked about in other threads I need to use cmd with this? I also downloaded ulgpGUI_v0.5_aio which looks more straight forward with a LGP, Folder, Dump & Encode. Whichever is easiest would be the one I choose.

I guess my questions are what am I looking for and what am I doing with it when I find it? And whats the spreadsheet for?

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: 2013-06-03 05:02:25 »
It's late and I have to go to bed, so I'll explain tomorrow when I get home from work. Look for this post to be edited.

EDIT: Download this program: http://www.mediafire.com/?zxj5iyzzmwi

Make a back-up of your battle.lpg before using it.

No installation is required. Just open it and point it to the data folder inside your FF7 installation folder. It will then show "Unlpg" and "Rebuild" options. Check the box for "Unlpg battle.lpg" and it will unpack it and open a new folder. This folder contains all the parts for every battle model that is packed inside battle.lpg. The spreadsheet I linked was to help you be aware of all the file names and what characters they correspond to. Anyways, now you want to put your Tifa files inside this folder. It's okay to overwrite since you made a back-up of your battle.lpg. Now open the UNLPG+LPG tool again, point it to the data folder, and check the box for "Rebuild battle.lpg." It will then close the folder with all the model parts and repack it into a new battle.lpg file.

That's it. Pretty simple  8)
« Last Edit: 2013-06-04 00:02:37 by EQ2Alyza »

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: 2013-06-03 05:03:50 »
Using that LGPGui tool is so awesome. I mess my ff7 install up on purpose sometimes just so I can fix it again. I need a new hobby.

Hehe, very interesting and funny hobby. Hobbies are good though :D

Xenovann

• View Profile
« Reply #858 on: 2013-06-03 05:19:50 »
It's late and I have to go to bed, so I'll explain tomorrow when I get home from work. Look for this post to be edited.

EDIT: Download this program: http://www.mediafire.com/?zxj5iyzzmwi

Make a back-up of your battle.lpg before using it.

No installation is required. Just open it and point it to the data folder inside your FF7 installation folder. It will then show "Unlpg" and "Rebuild" options. Check the box for "Unlpg battle.lpg" and it will unpack it and open a new folder. This folder contains all the parts for every battle model that is packed inside battle.lpg. The spreadsheet I linked was to help you be aware of all the file names and what characters they correspond to. Anyways, now you want to put your Tifa files inside this folder. It's okay to overwrite since you made a back-up of your battle.lpg. Now open the UNLPG+LPG tool again, point it to the data folder, and check the box for "Rebuild battle.lpg." It will then close the folder with all the model parts and repack it into a new battle.lpg file.

That's it. Pretty simple  8)

Worked flawlessly! Thanks a whole lot. Tifa thanks you too, she would of never got with Cloud with that face.
« Last Edit: 2013-06-04 02:20:42 by Xenovann »

Exceed

• View Profile
« Reply #859 on: 2013-06-05 04:34:42 »
When I click Play FF7 from the bootloader, I get an error message saying MountFF7DISC1.bat is missing, then i get the same type of error for unmounting

Exceed

• View Profile
« Reply #860 on: 2013-06-05 23:32:56 »
Really need help :(

« Reply #861 on: 2013-06-06 01:48:08 »
I'm encountering the following problem:

I'm running Windows XP Service Pack 2, Home Edition.  I get a differing message on the DOS window and config windows never appear for me.

.______    ______   ______ .___________. __       _______   _______
    |   _  \  /  __  \ /  __  \|           ||  |     |   ____| /  _____|
    |  |_)  ||  |  |  |  |  |  `---|  |----`|  |     |  |__   |  |  __
    |   _  < |  |  |  |  |  |  |   |  |     |  |     |   __|  |  | |_ |
    |  |_)  ||  `--'  |  `--'  |   |  |     |  `----.|  |____ |  |__| |
    |______/  \______/ \______/    |__|     |_______||_______| \______|
 _____ _             _   _____           _                 __     _____ ___
|  ___(_)_ __   __ _| | |  ___|_ _ _ __ | |_ __ _ ___ _   _\ \   / /_ _|_ _|
| |_  | | '_ \ / _` | | | |_ / _` | '_ \| __/ _` / __| | | |\ \ / / | | | |
|  _| | | | | | (_| | | |  _| (_| | | | | || (_| \__ \ |_| | \ V /  | | | |
|_|   |_|_| |_|\__,_|_| |_|  \__,_|_| |_|\__\__,_|___/\__, |  \_/  |___|___|
     .______  __.___________.______  .______          |___/___________.
     |   _  \|  |           |   _  \ |   _  \        /   \|           |
     |  |_)  |  `---|  |----`  |_)  ||  |_)  |      /  ^  \---|  |----`
     |   ___/|  |   |  |    |   _  < |      /      /  /_\  \  |  |
     |  |    |  |   |  |    |  |_)  ||  |\  \----./  _____  \ |  |
   by|__|    |__|   |__|    |______/ |__| `._____/__/     \__\|__|
                                            2012.12.31 Version .040

Checking Operating System . . .

Laying Bootleg Edit. . .
Checking Operating System...
32Bit Installation
Final Fantasy VII Installation Located:
"C:\Games\FINAL FANTASY VII\"
1 File(s) copied
1 File(s) copied

Initializing Bootleg . . .
Intialization Completed.

Validating Language Files . . .
Identified Compatible US Version.
Invalid switch - -I
Invalid switch - -I
Invalid switch - -I
Invalid switch - -I
Invalid switch - -I
Invalid switch - -I
Invalid switch - -I
Invalid switch - -I
Invalid switch - -I
Invalid switch - -I
Language Validation Completed.

Backing up Vanilla Data . . .
1 File(s) copied
1 File(s) copied
1 File(s) copied
1 File(s) copied
1 File(s) copied
Completed Backup.

Preparing Sprinkles . . .

It then proceeds to go through extracting several files rapidly; after a brief time the window closes, the Bootleg Front End window reappears and nothing else happens.

I've tried using FF7Music.exe in the file folder itself, but I'm only greeted with a "requires FF7 to be installed" error message, which is silly because I've plunked 47 hours into it before trying to mod it.  In fact, I'm playing it now.  Other .exe files are greeting me with similar messages.

Game install path is c:\Games\Final Fantasy VII
Mods foldier is c:\Games\FF7 Mods

The appropriate directories are listed in the Installation tab in Bootleg Front End, and all available mods are downloaded, up-to-date and green/yellow in the lists.

Dafuq am I doing wrong?
« Last Edit: 2013-06-06 01:54:08 by danceswithchihuahuas »

Kompass63

• View Profile
« Reply #862 on: 2013-06-06 02:02:59 »
Which Windows do you use?

« Reply #863 on: 2013-06-06 02:13:50 »
Which Windows do you use?

XP, service pack 2, home edition.
« Last Edit: 2013-06-06 02:26:33 by danceswithchihuahuas »

Exceed

• View Profile
« Reply #864 on: 2013-06-06 02:19:51 »
Can anyone help? Or was this problem answered in another thread?

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: 2013-06-06 04:36:03 »
Can anyone help? Or was this problem answered in another thread?

It's been mentioned before. I was waiting for Kompass to chime in, as I believe his converter fixes this issue.

Uninstall everything, delete the leftovers, and clean your registry (CCleaner works well). Next, install a fresh copy, use Kompass' Converter, then run Bootleg normally.

Exceed

• View Profile
« Reply #866 on: 2013-06-06 04:51:03 »
Ok thanks :)

Template

• View Profile
« Reply #867 on: 2013-06-06 04:52:58 »
Hi Exceed, those files should indeed be located in your game directory. What operating system? Have you tried redoing the entire ff7 install? I suggest backing up any save games, uninstall ff7music then ff7, erase entire ff7 directory completely, and reinstall clean to C:\Games\FF7. For whatever reason it may be important for that to be the exact spelling for the install directory in some cases, possibly just for where the bootleg stores temp files, not entirely sure. Mods and bootleg need to be in a different directory from the game directory, I use C:\FF7Mods and I have BFE and bootleg and like 90 other files in there. Follow Tifa's Bootleg Tutorial in the FAQ section carefully. I am sorry for the difficulties you are having.

Hi Dances: basically same advice. It probably isn't what's causing that invalid switch spam, but your game directory looks funny. Make sure everything is correctly filled out in BFE Install tab and you aren't trying to use an ff7 install image. All the fields for destination location and mod source that sort of thing. Just kinda brainstorming. Good luck!

Edit: /sigh I write so slow. Posted this after EQ answered but started working on it like an hour before. Lots of distractions and also some M&Ms
« Last Edit: 2013-06-06 04:56:42 by Template »

« Reply #868 on: 2013-06-06 05:28:37 »
Hi Dances: basically same advice. It probably isn't what's causing that invalid switch spam, but your game directory looks funny. Make sure everything is correctly filled out in BFE Install tab and you aren't trying to use an ff7 install image. All the fields for destination location and mod source that sort of thing. Just kinda brainstorming. Good luck!

Edit: /sigh I write so slow. Posted this after EQ answered but started working on it like an hour before. Lots of distractions and also some M&Ms

Changed destination location to C:/Games/FF7, same error and same problems on all fronts.  Install image field is blank.  I'm kind of sad, this looks AMAZING.

Template

• View Profile
« Reply #869 on: 2013-06-06 06:36:14 »
Did you completely uninstall everything ff7 and start over, making sure to physically delete the ff7directory and all files you originally installed?  Need to remove registry entries with Ccleaner as well possibly. Try the process again with mods in a separate directory C:\FF7mods and reinstall from ff7 discs to C:\games\FF7 once it has been completely removed. Make sure in BFE that you check mod listings and everything is green or yellow. I'm sure you are doing things correctly just trying to be sure. I think this isn't an issue but make sure you have all .NET updates and everything squared away hardware wise.

One more thing: make sure you have 7-zip installed and a copy of 7za.exe in your bootleg folder, this is for decompressing all the mods themselves. I remember having a problem with that. Hopefully someone who really knows exactly what is up with recent bootleg + 32bit can help us because I'm shooting in the dark here.
« Last Edit: 2013-06-06 06:47:02 by Template »

« Reply #870 on: 2013-06-06 06:36:55 »
Did you completely uninstall everything ff7 and start over? Need to remove registry entries with Ccleaner maybe?

Yes on both counts.  Also uninstalled and redownloaded bootleg (which was a pain in the ass).

Template

• View Profile
« Reply #871 on: 2013-06-06 06:54:57 »
I swear theres a SP3 for windows xp too, could that be related? Make sure everything system wise is up to date, I'm sure what you've got downloaded is all fine. Things like visual C++ and all the .NET crap that microsoft doesn't push out as recommended updates may be needed. Personally if I knew I was completely updated and it had been a long time on an XP machine if I ran into a thing like this I couldn't solve after a couple days, I'd reformat, but this seems specific and solvable.

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: 2013-06-06 15:20:40 »
Yes, there is an sp3 for xp, I had it on my old machine.

Kompass63

• View Profile
« Reply #873 on: 2013-06-06 17:50:16 »
I'm encountering the following problem:

I'm running Windows XP Service Pack 2, Home Edition.  I get a differing message on the DOS window and config windows never appear for me.

Invalid switch - -I
Invalid switch - -I
Invalid switch - -I
Invalid switch - -I
Invalid switch - -I
Invalid switch - -I
Invalid switch - -I
Invalid switch - -I
Invalid switch - -I
Invalid switch - -I
That I noticed only now ...
Bootleg is not designed to work under XP.
You can try to remove before bootleg the write protection from all files and folders in the [game folder].
But if that helps to get on with bootleg I do not know...

It then proceeds to go through extracting several files rapidly; after a brief time the window closes, the Bootleg Front End window reappears and nothing else happens.
Start at this point the task manager (ctrl + alt + del) and see if you discover another DOS window that is busy with "7za.exe".

When I click Play FF7 from the bootloader, I get an error message saying MountFF7DISC1.bat is missing, then i get the same type of error for unmounting
It's been mentioned before. I was waiting for Kompass to chime in, as I believe his converter fixes this issue.

not really ...

The old FF7 (1998) expects a disk named "FF7DISC1" (or 2 or 3) at startup.
It does not matter whether it is a CD, DVD, BlueRay, Floppy, Hard Drive, Virtual CD, virtual hard drive, USB-Stick or whatever, the main thing is the name is correct.
The letter of the drive is to be found in the registry, for 32-bit Systems
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII]
"DataDrive"="V:\"
for 64-bit Systems
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII]
"DataDrive"="V:\"         (V:\ is my virtual CD-Drive ;D)

As luck would have it, a virtual harddisk is in the use of bootleg (NOT work with XP!) with installed and happened to this is called "FF7DISC1". (what a coincidence 8))
However, this hard drive has yet to be logged in and also the appropriate drive letter must be entered into the registry.
If the file "MountFF7DISC1.bat" is not there, something went wrong with the install of bootleg :?.

You can now make do by plugging a USB stick, this renames "FF7DISC1" and entering the drive letter of the sticks in the registry.
That with the registry you can also make with the boot loader -> Configure, choose the correct letter.
The check "Auto Mount" should be removed.

Unfortunately that is not always easy with the letters of the drives, for example if you has forgotten an SD card in the card reader, the letters are arranged differently again ...
The USB-Stick maybe get a different letter on the next reboot of the PC, you should pay attention. :roll:
« Last Edit: 2013-06-06 21:09:32 by Kompass63 »

Template

• View Profile
« Reply #874 on: 2013-06-07 05:00:58 »
Well that explains a lot. But I also have buncha questions...

Why are we locked into using bootlegs virtual drive? Has this been the case in all of the bootleg releases previous? I have the actual disc in my DVD drive... I'm guessing if PB didn't make bootleg compatible with XP it isn't something he can easily fix in the future? And it's not something possible to fix by changing your converter, right Kompass?

The advantage to the Vdrive is speed, presumably? Besides convenience, obviously.

This issue is seperate from write protection, though... I do not remember having problems with file write protection being on when modding ff7 under xp 32 bit. But again I have never used the re-release. I bought a used but originally owned and fairly mint copy of ff7 PC on ebay in like 2002 for 80$ US iirc and then couldn't get it to work very well until 2010 or whatever it was when I found this forum. This game has given the tinkerer in me a lot of hamster-wheel time.