Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v2.0.99994)  (Read 4984876 times)

Kurne

• View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v2.0.94)
« Reply #10675 on: 2021-03-03 02:30:12 »
If you talk with aeris as Tifa after first gaining control of the highwind at the icecicle Inn, you're name changes to cloud and the lines as changed to before you went down the hill on the snowboard

Slash all paired with added steal didn't steal :(
« Last Edit: 2021-03-03 02:48:02 by Kurne »

LVaulth

• View Profile
« Reply #10676 on: 2021-03-03 05:11:25 »
Awesome, awesome.
Most importantly, I believe a few lines dialogue where the characters be like, "yo, Jenova used some form of necromancy magic on Aeris! She may be saved but we'll need to deal with Jenova first!!" lol, something like that.
Btw, the summon materia cap is only in Type B right or is it in Type A Mode too? and you can save in Aeris in Type A also?

I've seen that name change thing, I was hoping that Slash-all would work with added-Steal too, and Flash doesn't seem to do anything yet.

Hey, I can sense that making other Weapons could be doable, you already got everything figured out,
you could just clone pieces of dungeons and put them together, on the map, and add Omega Weapon as a boss with some robot model and it'll work. XD

Com'on, what if it doesn't have to end with Sephiroth?? The game could go on, or an arena battle mode with very difficult monsters and has 10-12 rounds.
Additional equipment weapons after Ultima Sword, etc...

Yea, you just HAVE to add those Sapphire, Jade, and Omega WEAPONS man, because...
those guys is sick!!!

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/u17PibK6B2c/maxresdefault.jpg
https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Jade_Weapon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHd3LSus5Lk

« Last Edit: 2021-03-03 05:34:18 by LVaulth »

Cesar0330

• View Profile
« Reply #10677 on: 2021-03-03 18:14:24 »
First, let me say that I just love this mod! I played this game waaaay back in 1997 so revisiting it with a new twist is awesome! I'm playing
the B scenario and just wanted to know if the 4 saves secret is actually working now or if we have to wait for a new patch. Thank you in advance!

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #10678 on: 2021-03-03 23:04:47 »
If you talk with aeris as Tifa after first gaining control of the highwind at the icecicle Inn, you're name changes to cloud and the lines as changed to before you went down the hill on the snowboard

Slash all paired with added steal didn't steal :(

The dialogue probably refers to Cloud's name rather than Party Leader's name (probably an oversight; I don't recall setting dialogue for talking to her as Tifa). I'll check into it and add any branches needed.

I don't think Slash-All pairs with any support Materia. There might be a way to do it using Master Command or Mega-All maybe.

Awesome, awesome.
Most importantly, I believe a few lines dialogue where the characters be like, "yo, Jenova used some form of necromancy magic on Aeris! She may be saved but we'll need to deal with Jenova first!!" lol, something like that.
Btw, the summon materia cap is only in Type B right or is it in Type A Mode too? and you can save in Aeris in Type A also?

I've seen that name change thing, I was hoping that Slash-all would work with added-Steal too, and Flash doesn't seem to do anything yet.

Hey, I can sense that making other Weapons could be doable, you already got everything figured out,
you could just clone pieces of dungeons and put them together, on the map, and add Omega Weapon as a boss with some robot model and it'll work. XD

Com'on, what if it doesn't have to end with Sephiroth?? The game could go on, or an arena battle mode with very difficult monsters and has 10-12 rounds.
Additional equipment weapons after Ultima Sword, etc...

Yea, you just HAVE to add those Sapphire, Jade, and Omega WEAPONS man, because...
those guys is sick!!!

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/u17PibK6B2c/maxresdefault.jpg
https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Jade_Weapon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHd3LSus5Lk

The summon cap should be same between versions; 1 use usually, but Master Summon is infinite uses. I think Quadra Magic can up the uses as well, as it'll count the Quadra charges then the summon charges separately (so 3 times I think with a 2-star Quadra).

Flash is basically a Death+All command; can be handy when moving through areas to clear out common mobs a bit faster but I separated it onto its own Materia because it's not much use in boss fights and doesn't deal damage of its own. There is a thing you can do with Flash to have other status ailments apply but I forget the Materia setup.

To expand on what I said before, I don't know how to make edits to the World Map and I wouldn't really be looking to add additional Weapon monsters to it. If you want additional fights, then the 1.5 build of the mod has a bunch of different encounters including Omega Weapon (from FF8, not Dirge) in its Extra Battle in Gold Saucer's Battle Square.

First, let me say that I just love this mod! I played this game waaaay back in 1997 so revisiting it with a new twist is awesome! I'm playing
the B scenario and just wanted to know if the 4 saves secret is actually working now or if we have to wait for a new patch. Thank you in advance!

The upcoming patch will fix the last step; it's basically ready, just been adding last minute fixes from reports that come in. Will probably go for weekend release.

wdx

• View Profile
« Reply #10679 on: 2021-03-04 09:53:25 »
I'm level 65ish, and in Type B Mode, there is no Underwater Materia to fight Emerald Weapon, and Ruby weapon is immune to dazers, can swirling sand the remaining character away while the other two are K.O.'ed, and kills party with Cometeor and the other attack. KotR only has 1 charge, how do you beat this guy...? need level 99?
These Ruby/Emerald Weapon versions are not in Type A Mode right?

there is a way around the 1 charge limit, which is doing the likes of magic counter KOTR - Cmd Counter Mime.  That would fail the first time then suceed if both magic counter and the cmd counter triggered.

U can actually beat all bosses at level7 on hard mode without using SP Upgrades (both type a and b) theres an option to turn off gaining exp the only fight where level would be the initial battle :) was a little surprised no extra secret ending for doing above, whereas if complete hard mode with no sp usuage it gives a wee secret ending.

wdx

• View Profile
« Reply #10680 on: 2021-03-04 09:56:57 »
The upcoming patch will fix the last step; it's basically ready, just been adding last minute fixes from reports that come in. Will probably go for weekend release.

looking forward to the patch :)

might want to take a closer look at fields some things can be found type A / B Hard / Normal Mode.  Can switch between to grab full set in places.  an example of this would be train graveyard with 'addedsteal' materia being available on type b on either the hard or normal option but not both.

Another is one of the materia caves, i forget where the rest where.

LVaulth

• View Profile
« Reply #10681 on: 2021-03-04 13:05:13 »
Cool.  Oh yea, and Cloud's name changes back to Cloud during disc3 regardless of what you name him. :<

Kurne

• View Profile
« Reply #10682 on: 2021-03-05 04:59:15 »
Uh... soooo type b 2.0.... just got to where I could unlock chocobo races,  spent some time killing things near model with a bunch of fire materia on chars with intent to sell for nice profit shortly in midel.   Ever since I left after selling the fire materia for a nice 1.3 mill profit, I haven't had a single encounter.  Double checked enemy away materia is definitely not on.  Tried reequpting it a few times and taking off to no avail.  Something has seemingly permanently turned encounters off 😂   normally not a big deal butttt I kinda need to find chocobos  lol.  It did crash 3 times total tonight as well

wdx

• View Profile
« Reply #10683 on: 2021-03-05 15:59:46 »
Uh... soooo type b 2.0.... just got to where I could unlock chocobo races,  spent some time killing things near model with a bunch of fire materia on chars with intent to sell for nice profit shortly in midel.   Ever since I left after selling the fire materia for a nice 1.3 mill profit, I haven't had a single encounter.  Double checked enemy away materia is definitely not on.  Tried reequpting it a few times and taking off to no avail.  Something has seemingly permanently turned encounters off 😂   normally not a big deal butttt I kinda need to find chocobos  lol.  It did crash 3 times total tonight as well

curious if perhaps u maybe of clicked a key combination which would turn off random encounters (FFnX) driver via 7th heaven v2.x has that ability.

LVaulth

• View Profile
« Reply #10684 on: 2021-03-05 18:14:47 »
Hey, so I beat the game on Type B and replaying Type A now.
I believe one charge for all summons isn't gonna work for a full game that is not an abridged-playthrough.

https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Summon_Materia_(Final_Fantasy_VII)

At least set it so that summons can be 5 charges for Type A Mode, else New Threat would not be friendly for normal player.
Especially with Emerald and Ruby weapons in standard game, there's no way in hell anyone can defeat them without using cheats and not level 99.
The summon commandcounter-mime trick requires you to be attacked to counter with the summon, and you can't do any other actions except wait to use the same mime action... (and if vs. Ruby Weapon, ur dead after 1-2 hits, can't keep miming... without having to heal in between...)
And this 1-charge setup forces the trick in order to summon more than once.

(You could maybe change it to 5 charges for ChocoMog, Ifrit, Shiva, and Ramuh; 4 for Titan, Odin, Leviathan, and Bahamut;
3 for Kjata, Alexander, Typhon, and Neo-Bahamut; 2 for Phoenix, Hades, and Bahamut ZERO; and 1 for Knights of the Round, on Type B.)

In Type B Mode, the Golden Chocobo can be obtained easier, that means KoTR on disc 2. (turn off all mods temporarily before entering so the materia caves don't crash.) However, KoTR only has 1 charge... which makes the great WEAPONS impossible without the mod that allows invincibility.

With the classic 5 charges, you can't use KotR until late disc2 anyway, and with high MP cost, noone really uses more than 2 charges,
with this current setup, even if you're on disc3 and there's enough MP, you still can't use more than 1... of any summon.
It forces a player to have to obtain all summons before getting Master Summon for the possible multiple charges, and by the time someone gets all summons, it's already almost end game. It's very limiting and counterproductive.

Next conflict, the altered locations of the materia placements are very odd in early game and late game. (except for the unchanged ones like Alexander)
For instance, why put HP-Absorb in the restroom in the slum, (a ghetto joke?) (and it's on both modes too)

HP-Absorb is late disc1 or disc2 in Wutai iirc, having it at very-early game is kind of op yet ineffective, and why in the bathroom...?
Are there no other dignified locations to place it?

And then, in Type B, Ultima Magic is right before final boss... So a player would have to backtrack all the way up from the end of the Northern Crater if they'd just want to roam in the world map testing out Ultima or do side quests...
Why not switch Ultima's placement (in the green glowing area in Northern Crater) with Pearl, and have Ultima materia appear earlier;
with that it would make more sense lore-wise to have a Holy magic like Pearl appearing right before the final boss.

Also, gone is the thrill of grinding 2x-attack into 4x-attack,
you'd have to farm everything until the end and manage to beat the two great WEAPONS in order to get 4x-attack.
By then however, there is really no point for it, because at that time for the most part, there's only... final boss left.
And players already have had turned on invincible cheat with NT in order to beat those two WEAPONS, lol...

Moreover, if players have to cheat to beat the WEAPONS, they're not going to need the multiple charges on summons, and it defeats the purpose of that Master Summon's multi-charges exclusivity in the first place.

So yea, it's like a series of loops that screws itself...
Just constructive feedback for polishing because I really liked the mod and it has great potential. Hopefully these things are solved in the next release...

- No monster has ever used Trine in the whole game in TYPE B, except one in the Battle Arena.
- If possible, Flash should be reworked to do [a percentage of high dmg and/or k.o. while sacrificing character HP to do it, like "Darkside" in FF8]
Currently Flash is supposed to only work on weak monsters during random encounters... (if the character with Flash equipped would attack first to even use it) (and if most players don't already have Enemy Away materia equipped while going through non-grindable areas, lol... and in grindable areas, the current Flash don't work.) x_x

Finally, the cheapening of entry costs in-game by a whole decimal screws the finance-scarcity-challenge quite a bit, you just took away one zero from the big fees iirc.

« Last Edit: 2021-03-05 22:58:26 by LVaulth »

wdx

• View Profile
« Reply #10685 on: 2021-03-05 19:17:59 »
there is no need to cheat :) nor even actually use witem glitch at lvl7 type b hard mode play through :)

i think the the single usage summons are good,  there is ways around the single usages, such as magcounter-summon cmdcounter-mime being equipped in that order.
the mime will still succed.

Flash works on some powerful enemies in game. good example is to use to level up some AP (if wish to) grinding is not really required.
Spoiler: show
Moovers suspectable to death is one, alongside a couple of bosses flash is superuseful in grindable area in the hatercy at northern crater

love the idea of 'darkside' :)

Kurne

• View Profile
« Reply #10686 on: 2021-03-05 20:56:53 »
Wait so the extra bosses in the battle arena are no more 0.o...?   Oh noeee I was really looking forward to them lol... aww :(

LVaulth

• View Profile
« Reply #10687 on: 2021-03-05 22:53:05 »
there is no need to cheat :) nor even actually use witem glitch at lvl7 type b hard mode play through :)

i think the the single usage summons are good,  there is ways around the single usages, such as magcounter-summon cmdcounter-mime being equipped in that order.

Flash works on some powerful enemies in game. good example is to use to level up some AP (if wish to) grinding is not really required.
Moovers suspectable to death is one, alongside a couple of bosses flash is superuseful in grindable area in the hatercy at northern crater

Yea. Maybe you're pro, for newb-ish players they're gonna have a very hard time...  :?
I did that materia setup but that makes 1 or 2 characters have to keep waiting to repeat the summons, and it's just hairy...  :(

TheTallMass

• View Profile
« Reply #10688 on: 2021-03-06 19:38:47 »
Yea. Maybe you're pro, for newb-ish players they're gonna have a very hard time...  :?
I did that materia setup but that makes 1 or 2 characters have to keep waiting to repeat the summons, and it's just hairy...  :(
I would say, take your time to get acquainted with the FF7 modification tools and make the change once you understand it (WallMarket should be the tool you need here, along with 7th Heaven's IRO extractor). But the mod as it stands is complete-able by some people (Weapon included!) and that seems to be the author's intent. It's an overhaul mod and it is meant to be played a certain way. Getting creative and finding other ways around it are always encouraged too.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #10689 on: 2021-03-07 00:24:24 »

curious if perhaps u maybe of clicked a key combination which would turn off random encounters (FFnX) driver via 7th heaven v2.x has that ability.

Let me know if it was this; if not (and if a reload didn't sort it) I'll check into it.

Hey, so I beat the game on Type B and replaying Type A now.
I believe one charge for all summons isn't gonna work for a full game that is not an abridged-playthrough.

https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Summon_Materia_(Final_Fantasy_VII)

At least set it so that summons can be 5 charges for Type A Mode, else New Threat would not be friendly for normal player.
Especially with Emerald and Ruby weapons in standard game, there's no way in hell anyone can defeat them without using cheats and not level 99.
The summon commandcounter-mime trick requires you to be attacked to counter with the summon, and you can't do any other actions except wait to use the same mime action... (and if vs. Ruby Weapon, ur dead after 1-2 hits, can't keep miming... without having to heal in between...)
And this 1-charge setup forces the trick in order to summon more than once.

(You could maybe change it to 5 charges for ChocoMog, Ifrit, Shiva, and Ramuh; 4 for Titan, Odin, Leviathan, and Bahamut;
3 for Kjata, Alexander, Typhon, and Neo-Bahamut; 2 for Phoenix, Hades, and Bahamut ZERO; and 1 for Knights of the Round, on Type B.)

In Type B Mode, the Golden Chocobo can be obtained easier, that means KoTR on disc 2. (turn off all mods temporarily before entering so the materia caves don't crash.) However, KoTR only has 1 charge... which makes the great WEAPONS impossible without the mod that allows invincibility.

With the classic 5 charges, you can't use KotR until late disc2 anyway, and with high MP cost, noone really uses more than 2 charges,
with this current setup, even if you're on disc3 and there's enough MP, you still can't use more than 1... of any summon.
It forces a player to have to obtain all summons before getting Master Summon for the possible multiple charges, and by the time someone gets all summons, it's already almost end game. It's very limiting and counterproductive.

Next conflict, the altered locations of the materia placements are very odd in early game and late game. (except for the unchanged ones like Alexander)
For instance, why put HP-Absorb in the restroom in the slum, (a ghetto joke?) (and it's on both modes too)

HP-Absorb is late disc1 or disc2 in Wutai iirc, having it at very-early game is kind of op yet ineffective, and why in the bathroom...?
Are there no other dignified locations to place it?

And then, in Type B, Ultima Magic is right before final boss... So a player would have to backtrack all the way up from the end of the Northern Crater if they'd just want to roam in the world map testing out Ultima or do side quests...
Why not switch Ultima's placement (in the green glowing area in Northern Crater) with Pearl, and have Ultima materia appear earlier;
with that it would make more sense lore-wise to have a Holy magic like Pearl appearing right before the final boss.

Also, gone is the thrill of grinding 2x-attack into 4x-attack,
you'd have to farm everything until the end and manage to beat the two great WEAPONS in order to get 4x-attack.
By then however, there is really no point for it, because at that time for the most part, there's only... final boss left.
And players already have had turned on invincible cheat with NT in order to beat those two WEAPONS, lol...

Moreover, if players have to cheat to beat the WEAPONS, they're not going to need the multiple charges on summons, and it defeats the purpose of that Master Summon's multi-charges exclusivity in the first place.

So yea, it's like a series of loops that screws itself...
Just constructive feedback for polishing because I really liked the mod and it has great potential. Hopefully these things are solved in the next release...

- No monster has ever used Trine in the whole game in TYPE B, except one in the Battle Arena.
- If possible, Flash should be reworked to do [a percentage of high dmg and/or k.o. while sacrificing character HP to do it, like "Darkside" in FF8]
Currently Flash is supposed to only work on weak monsters during random encounters... (if the character with Flash equipped would attack first to even use it) (and if most players don't already have Enemy Away materia equipped while going through non-grindable areas, lol... and in grindable areas, the current Flash don't work.) x_x

Finally, the cheapening of entry costs in-game by a whole decimal screws the finance-scarcity-challenge quite a bit, you just took away one zero from the big fees iirc.

Very strange feedback.

You don't need to be Lv.99 and invincible to beat Ruby and Emerald. I think you're focusing too hard on Summons (and the strategies that would ordinarily be used on the original Ruby + Emerald) and it's distracting you from other aspects of how you set up your party and the like.

There were some bonus placements of Materia and equipment put throughout the game into locations not ordinarily visited but I needed to be careful about what was placed in order to avoid breaking the balance. HP Absorb is one of these Materia that you could put in early on where it can be useful without disrupting that balance. There was no particular significance to putting it in the bathroom in Johnny's house, it's just a location where it's out of the way, not immediately visible, and would only be found if you were exploring.

Ultima sits at the end of its path in a room that has a striking visual effect that I felt would be a good location to put one of the strongest spells (as far as base power goes). Pearl appears a screen or two earlier on its route, but is that really significant? As far as utility goes, Ultima should be great for Bizarro (and Jenova Synthesis on Type A) while Pearl has an element advantage but will be blocked during Safer's 'flying' phase. They also both sit in the same locations on Type A and Type B; there's no difference in location for them (or at least there shouldn't be).

I'll have a think about 4x-Cut but I'll need to see how rewards for things as they stand can be shuffled about. I probably won't be putting it back with 2x-Cut Materia though.

I'll add Trine to be used somewhere on a boss or whatever in Type B if it hasn't been already so it can be learned roughly where it's learned on Type A.

Flash could do with a rework but I don't know where it's command data is kept to modify it. A Darkside effect would be nice but probably take a fair bit to create. I think if it could be made to deal damage in some way then that would at least be a step in the right direction. I got some use out of Flash by keeping it on a character and throwing it out against any mob groups that had a few weak to KO but it would definitely be better if it could be reworked somehow.

I considered going back to the original entry values for things like the Gold Saucer ticket, etc. but decided not to in the end.

Well it's nice to see someone got some use out of Flash.

Wait so the extra bosses in the battle arena are no more 0.o...?   Oh noeee I was really looking forward to them lol... aww :(

I was going to drop it for the new patch (I'd planned to bring back Extra Battle but I've been stuck for ideas) but I'll add it in and put 1 match in it for now. Was supposed to be 3 but I couldn't think of 2 new ones.

Maverick4031

• View Profile
« Reply #10690 on: 2021-03-07 05:47:01 »
alrighty. piggybacking off of Rushiryu over here lol.

im trying to get a partial clue, not the whole deal. lol.

the clues thus far for the silver chocobo mystery quest appear to be in narrative order, location-wise. is this true or am i whiffing on that one?

Maverick4031

• View Profile
« Reply #10691 on: 2021-03-07 06:11:36 »
so Segachief

Regarding the special battles content:

so as far as ideas. is there a way to code in a "mirror match"? where you legitimately fight your your own team? its probably way difficult to code something like that but its a thought. or i mean maybe just some semblance of how your active team would function? an aerith clone would likely be a mage build (unless it was built for slum drunk lmao). a cloud clone generally does physical but can go magic attacker, barrets a tank.....vincent would be all about transformations....lol. idk. ideas lol.
« Last Edit: 2021-03-08 02:13:50 by Maverick4031 »

wdx

• View Profile
« Reply #10692 on: 2021-03-07 15:35:00 »

I was going to drop it for the new patch (I'd planned to bring back Extra Battle but I've been stuck for ideas) but I'll add it in and put 1 match in it for now. Was supposed to be 3 but I couldn't think of 2 new ones.

how about maybe something like a boss rush of jenova's various forms? :)
alternatively sorta miss dark cave - boss rush of midgar bosses ? :)

Tooplex

• View Profile
« Reply #10693 on: 2021-03-09 21:43:29 »
So I've played through both Mode A and Mode B (Got every item minus a few) and its probably the best mod ive played in a long time. I have a few questions though.

1. What does the Dark Matter do? I can't find a use for it.

2. Where can you get the Heroes Medal and Ribbon? In the item location guide it just says defeat ???? and i defeated that secret boss in Shinra Mansion from the piano.

3. Also speaking of the boss from the Shinra Mansion, what does the item ???? do that you get from that boss?

Thank you, Great mod and ill keep an eye on this page  :)

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #10694 on: 2021-03-09 23:58:18 »
so Segachief

Regarding the special battles content:

so as far as ideas. is there a way to code in a "mirror match"? where you legitimately fight your your own team? its probably way difficult to code something like that but its a thought. or i mean maybe just some semblance of how your active team would function? an aerith clone would likely be a mage build (unless it was built for slum drunk lmao). a cloud clone generally does physical but can go magic attacker, barrets a tank.....vincent would be all about transformations....lol. idk. ideas lol.

Kinda, but it'd take up a lot of space and it wouldn't be able to accurately match your current party comp as enemy model IDs are statically defined. The Yellow Materia cave has something akin to this in any case.

I'll try to add something.

So I've played through both Mode A and Mode B (Got every item minus a few) and its probably the best mod ive played in a long time. I have a few questions though.

1. What does the Dark Matter do? I can't find a use for it.

2. Where can you get the Heroes Medal and Ribbon? In the item location guide it just says defeat ???? and i defeated that secret boss in Shinra Mansion from the piano.

3. Also speaking of the boss from the Shinra Mansion, what does the item ???? do that you get from that boss?

Thank you, Great mod and ill keep an eye on this page  :)

Ah, seems the documentation was out of date on that one. The Hero Medal was renamed to the ???? item you got from the Shinra Mansion boss.

Dark Matter appears to be unused from what I can see; it used to be a material for crafting Ultimate Weapons but this system was dropped from 2.0.

The Ribbon can only be acquired from one place, the boss battle at the end of Disc 1 if
Aeris doesn't survive the battle.

Tooplex

• View Profile
« Reply #10695 on: 2021-03-10 08:01:05 »
Ah, seems the documentation was out of date on that one. The Hero Medal was renamed to the ???? item you got from the Shinra Mansion boss.

Dark Matter appears to be unused from what I can see; it used to be a material for crafting Ultimate Weapons but this system was dropped from 2.0.

The Ribbon can only be acquired from one place, the boss battle at the end of Disc 1 if
Aeris doesn't survive the battle.

Aaaah, Now that makes alot more sense! Thank you!, I thought I had missed another secret boss! Thanks again. You are an amazing modder and has certainly kept me entertained over 150 hours :)

Higgenbobber

• View Profile
« Reply #10696 on: 2021-03-12 17:12:52 »
How much harder is this game on New Threat normal for everyone?  I'm only on the second reactor but am considering updating to Hard Mode.  Also its a little confusing checking to see whether Hard Mode is active or not since when you toggle it on it says "Hard Mode: On" (in the little battle cutaway upon selecting) but then proceeds to say "Hard Mode: Off" right after-- so i'm not sure whether it did anything.

Peon

• View Profile
« Reply #10697 on: 2021-03-12 19:31:18 »
Hello! First of all thank you for the mod, I hadn't played FF7 for at least a decade and it's a blast to have enhanced difficulty as I recall the vanilla game to be pretty easy. With the limited options you have early the game was quite challenging up to now (not hard, but definitely challenging). I am amazed by what the modding community has done with this game and you guys have my utmost respect for the work you're doing out of passion for this game we all love.

I have done several vanilla playthrough already so I went for option B to experience the story with a few twists and MORE BOSSES (YAY!). So far I am at the very beginning, I just finished the Midgar section a few minutes ago and had to take a break to come here for information.

I am pretty concerned by one thing, it seems a huge part of Midgar was just... cut?
I never had to enter the Honey Bee and do the whole crossdressing thing which I remember was quite funny. Instead I just had to fight a couple of easy monsters to get to Don Corneo. I never had the plot part where Shinra wants to drop the plate onto section 7 instead we just head on straight to the Shinra HQ.
It's been a long time I haven't played the game so I don't remember every part in detail but I'm certain a big part of content got cut there. Also there was the mayor riddle for the pass in the Shinra HQ that just had "BEST" as every possible answer, not just an option to skip it for the best result, it was the ONLY option possible (I can appreciate having the option to skip it but it was just weird not having the choice of doing it the legit way)

As I understand it the option B is supposed to change some story events and I was very happy with it. I was actually excited to see what you would come up with but now i'm just afraid that i'm playing a "speedrun" version with less story but more bosses.
It is great to have more bosses as hunting all the weapons was my favorite part of late game FF7 and I love a long, strategic boss battle. (BTW what's the deal with the meca one shooting your party in Shinra HQ, are you actually supposed to beat that thing?)

Anyway before going further into the game and with the least spoilers as possible I would like to know if I only have to expect cut story content from NT type B or if it actually CHANGE the way the story unfold. If it is the former I am going to have to restart a type A playthrough. Too bad for the extra bosses (Seriously a bummer, I was looking forward to fighting new bosses) but I was expecting more/different content, not less from reading the in game description at the start.

I want to apologize if my comment feel too critical or anything. That is not my intention. I understand that everyone is not looking for the same things in games and it's a good thing. It's just that, for me, the story is the most critical part of a Final Fantasy game and I started playing NT expecting a twist on the game, not a shorter version of it. Now I'm just worried I wasted 4 hours playing the speedrun version of the game instead of just starting a regular type A playthrough.

Sorry for any grammar/spelling error, English is a second language. Keep up the good work.
« Last Edit: 2021-03-12 19:33:03 by Peon »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #10698 on: 2021-03-13 23:33:33 »
How much harder is this game on New Threat normal for everyone?  I'm only on the second reactor but am considering updating to Hard Mode.  Also its a little confusing checking to see whether Hard Mode is active or not since when you toggle it on it says "Hard Mode: On" (in the little battle cutaway upon selecting) but then proceeds to say "Hard Mode: Off" right after-- so i'm not sure whether it did anything.

Sounds like it's bugged; the in-battle message is the correct one though, the field message must have gotten desynched from it somehow. In the next patch that whole thing is getting revamped so there's no battle toggle needed, it's a bit messy.

Hello! First of all thank you for the mod, I hadn't played FF7 for at least a decade and it's a blast to have enhanced difficulty as I recall the vanilla game to be pretty easy. With the limited options you have early the game was quite challenging up to now (not hard, but definitely challenging). I am amazed by what the modding community has done with this game and you guys have my utmost respect for the work you're doing out of passion for this game we all love.

I have done several vanilla playthrough already so I went for option B to experience the story with a few twists and MORE BOSSES (YAY!). So far I am at the very beginning, I just finished the Midgar section a few minutes ago and had to take a break to come here for information.

I am pretty concerned by one thing, it seems a huge part of Midgar was just... cut?
I never had to enter the Honey Bee and do the whole crossdressing thing which I remember was quite funny. Instead I just had to fight a couple of easy monsters to get to Don Corneo. I never had the plot part where Shinra wants to drop the plate onto section 7 instead we just head on straight to the Shinra HQ.
It's been a long time I haven't played the game so I don't remember every part in detail but I'm certain a big part of content got cut there. Also there was the mayor riddle for the pass in the Shinra HQ that just had "BEST" as every possible answer, not just an option to skip it for the best result, it was the ONLY option possible (I can appreciate having the option to skip it but it was just weird not having the choice of doing it the legit way)

As I understand it the option B is supposed to change some story events and I was very happy with it. I was actually excited to see what you would come up with but now i'm just afraid that i'm playing a "speedrun" version with less story but more bosses.
It is great to have more bosses as hunting all the weapons was my favorite part of late game FF7 and I love a long, strategic boss battle. (BTW what's the deal with the meca one shooting your party in Shinra HQ, are you actually supposed to beat that thing?)

Anyway before going further into the game and with the least spoilers as possible I would like to know if I only have to expect cut story content from NT type B or if it actually CHANGE the way the story unfold. If it is the former I am going to have to restart a type A playthrough. Too bad for the extra bosses (Seriously a bummer, I was looking forward to fighting new bosses) but I was expecting more/different content, not less from reading the in game description at the start.

I want to apologize if my comment feel too critical or anything. That is not my intention. I understand that everyone is not looking for the same things in games and it's a good thing. It's just that, for me, the story is the most critical part of a Final Fantasy game and I started playing NT expecting a twist on the game, not a shorter version of it. Now I'm just worried I wasted 4 hours playing the speedrun version of the game instead of just starting a regular type A playthrough.

Sorry for any grammar/spelling error, English is a second language. Keep up the good work.

The Midgar part is a bit more drastically different than the rest of it is on Type B, so you'll pretty much have all the story events going forward.

blues

• View Profile
« Reply #10699 on: 2021-03-14 07:27:12 »
Having played 1.5 quite a while ago, I'm so glad to see that you've continued working on this mod since then!

A little initial feedback: I'm pretty early on in the run but the edits in Type B are pretty jarring. Much of the cut content appears to be cut just to be different, which is fine - that's the point of Type B, after all - but the replacement content is substantially less in depth and not fully integrated. Some examples:

1. The Reactor 5 Airbuster encounter is removed in favor of a fight against 3+4 basic "SOLDIER 3rd" enemies (in fact, they are used as random encounters in the Shinra building less than 30 minutes later). And the Rufus + Dark Nation fight is also removed in favor of fighting this same grunt (renamed "COMMANDO" but functionally identical, it seems) 1 on 1. These feel like placeholder changes. 

2. The dress up section in Wall Mart is removed in favor of four grunt mob fights referencing the FF7: Remake Corneo Arena. This eliminates a lot of very iconic Wall Market content with no real replacement because this is basically just four random battles intercut with a few lines of ported-over jokey FF7: Remake dialog. I know we've all done this part a million times so maybe this was intended as a QOL improvement, but it might have been nice to require that you get some Key Items in order to enter the arena, however (maybe a few slightly different things need doing in order to get an Entry Pass?). I don't know, it again felt like a placeholder edit, and it was bizarre having so many memorable moments such as the squat competition, the Honey Bee Inn and the Don Corneo's mansion interior segment removed in favor of a handful of random encounters.

3. The Sector 7 plate is never dropped, which results in the cutting of a great deal of content (such as the Reno boss fight, the death of the minor AVALANCHE characters, and Elmyra's exposition regarding Aeris' past), and nothing replaces it. I found this change really confusing because it undercuts much of the gravitas of the Midgar section (Shinra's evilness and, to a degree, the party's motivation, is GREATLY diminished by this), leaves out critical details/foreshadowing regarding Aeris, and renders quite a few dialog lines nonsensical (for example, Barret talks about "reforming" AVALANCHE - but aren't Jessie, Biggs and Wedge alive?). More problematically, several NPCs actually directly reference the plate being dropped still, including two which show up immediately after exiting Midgar (in Kalm).

I assume these issues (and a few lesser ones I didn't include) exist because 2.0 is still a WIP, but I felt compelled to note them because NT 1.5 Arrange had an absolutely INCREDIBLE amount of polish. In fact, NT 1.5 Arrange is, to me, the definitive version of the game, adding tons of new content, cleaning up what was already there (such as the integration of Yuffie more cleanly into Kalm), etc., and I still play it from time to time.

I really don't want this to be taken as just a guy complaining - you are doing an amazing (and unpaid!!) service for every single fan of FF7 by working on this mod and I am grateful beyond words - but I thought maybe you'd like a little feedback. Please feel free to ignore me, of course!!  :-D :-D :-D