Author Topic: Modeler  (Read 12700 times)

Hironaga

Modeler
« on: 2008-04-18 02:45:11 »
Hello everyone, I know it's a little annoying to have a brand new member starting by making a topic... so I will apologize right now for it. However, I've come lurking around here every so often to see how these types of projects go and I'm really surprised there's so much activity for something like this..

Anyway, to keep it simple.. I'm a modeler. I hate using the title, but I do it for a living so you could consider me a 'professional.'  I finished Crisis Core a little while ago and it really resparked my love for Final Fantasy VII.. So I thought I would work on some FFVII related projects.  This one is kind of testing the water for me.. to see if it will go over at all. I spent some time making a fairly simple model of the buster sword... it's 100% original, no rips or anything like that. I'd be willing to work on some characters as well but really I'm not a coder.. I have no idea what kind of limits are in place for triangle counts or texture sizes.. I'd need someone to kind of fill me in on those sorts of things before I commit to working on anything... But if you like this I'd be willing to work on some projects with you guys.

Some information about this model... it's 399 triangles, and uses a 512x256 texture size. It uses some fancy things like bump, specularity and reflection but they can be baked to the texture because I don't think FFVII can do those things... The model itself took an hour to complete.. and the textures took 6 hours.

« Last Edit: 2008-04-18 03:06:03 by Hironaga »

Swampthing15

• View Profile
Re: Modeler
« Reply #1 on: 2008-04-18 02:59:37 »
um you might talk to ice cold about his prp project...hes looking for modelers and im sure he can fill u in on the basics...im rather new to this forum (about a month or two) but from what i see his team seems to be the most active when it comes to a project, theres some awesome freelancers on here too....but alot of them cant share there work for others to use due to copyright stuff....

the forum for the prp project is: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=7422.0

Master Ridley

• Space Pirate Supreme Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008-04-18 03:09:02 »
That Buster Sword looks sick!! Also, I think you may be able to put that ingame.

Oh and welcome to these humble forums!

Zionite

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008-04-18 05:46:31 »
Dude that buster sword is so bad ass...

please make things for us?  :-o

Borde

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008-04-18 10:28:05 »
Hello Hironaga.
I worked for quiet a while on the old NPC RP and I never found any hard limit on the polygon count or the texture size. FF7 will eat mostly everythig you throw at it. Of course, as you correctly guessed it doesn't support any fancy effects. Only plain textures, vertex colors and the old local vertex lighting. It doesn't even support the specular component.
Nice sword, by the way. I'm pertty sure your help would be very welcome.

Viashino

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008-04-18 14:40:18 »
I just joined the PRP project by ice_cold513 , i too work on models, so give a yell to ice.  Just be warned he dont want to use any 3Dsmax things ( i too asked about it) he said that he wanted the "battle" style models for the characters, but i think you making some new weapons or something would be nice.  If you get a chance send me a pm maybe we will have something to work on.

Hironaga

« Reply #6 on: 2008-04-18 15:57:56 »
Thats interesting that the FFVII engine doesn't have a hard limit for triangles in a scene.. Even more modern engines like Source have hard limits as to what you can do.. I know that's no license to go crazy with the triangle count. I was thinking anywhere from 5k to 6k is probably adequate for character battle models, 500-600 for weapons, and varied for the monster characters.

I work primarily in 3D Studio MAX, I use it at work all the time so I use it in my home projects too. Is there some reason that it can't be used? What software is everyone else working with?   

Master Ridley

• Space Pirate Supreme Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008-04-18 19:17:07 »
I don't see a reason to not allow 3DSMax. That's limiting progress for ice's mod i think.

yongkykun

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008-05-26 16:44:52 »
since you made it yourself, I think it's legal to release it bro.... If you don't mind, please do :D

BTW, I made the same sword, but mine is hi-res :( so I can't use it ingame.

Here's a pic...

« Last Edit: 2008-06-14 13:29:24 by yongkykun »

Tsetra

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008-05-27 07:39:30 »
Those are really spiffy, guys.
I gotta ask, am I the only one who better likes the appearance of the original, more plain and simple buster sword?

ice_cold513

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008-05-27 10:59:29 »
Helloooo

Well if you want to jion the PRP team then you got to make a model with out 3DS Max
Just Kimera for the most part

Nice Sword

squallff8

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008-05-29 19:47:46 »
2yongkykun
Нммм...Can you use this Sword picture as title screen in PRP project in place of original?It looks VERY cool

yongkykun

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2008-06-06 22:09:38 »
sure thing.. how do I do that? I've changed and tweaked some of the textures on the sword, but I haven't uploaded the picture on this forum yet. So if anyone from the PRP project wants to use this pic, I'll be more than happy to supply it. Just tell me the angle and the lighting mood that you guys want, and I'll post it here.

stormmedia

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2008-06-08 02:41:14 »
Thats interesting that the FFVII engine doesn't have a hard limit for triangles in a scene.. Even more modern engines like Source have hard limits as to what you can do.. I know that's no license to go crazy with the triangle count. I was thinking anywhere from 5k to 6k is probably adequate for character battle models, 500-600 for weapons, and varied for the monster characters.

I work primarily in 3D Studio MAX, I use it at work all the time so I use it in my home projects too. Is there some reason that it can't be used? What software is everyone else working with?   

You shouldn't use that much polygons for your models for Final Fantasy VII because the background will look even worst than they already are because of the detailed models.  To put ultra detaild models on a poor background is almost as bad as puting ultra squared models on a  poor background. (weird sentance but I think it's understandeble hehe)

And I will give you the two reasons why I don't use 3DS Max in the PRP Project anymore.  One, it's takes more time to do a model.  Two, there are some peoples who were always waiting for me to talk about a model made in 3DS Max to start complaining about the fact that it kill the true nature of the game or something like that.... (don't worry folks I'm not angry with you, just pointing out the fact that there is some people who don't like it, that's all.).  However if you want to do models with 3DS Max you can convert it now with the program Pcreator and mess with all the parts and textures until it looks like you want.  But they won't be on the PRP Project because we want all the models to have the same style until it's finished.

squeeble

• GOOGLE GODDAMIT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2008-06-08 14:05:20 »

You shouldn't use that much polygons for your models for Final Fantasy VII because the background will look even worst than they already are because of the detailed models.  To put ultra detaild models on a poor background is almost as bad as puting ultra squared models on a  poor background. (weird sentance but I think it's understandeble hehe)

Yeah true, but you can always modify the battle backrounds to suit the high detail models.

yongkykun

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2008-06-08 14:18:38 »
Yeah true, but you can always modify the battle backrounds to suit the high detail models.

Woa, you can?! Why wasn't I told? How do I do that?

Borde

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2008-06-09 21:03:32 »
The battle backgrounds use the same 3d format as any other model in FF7. So basically it's the same as editing a character model. The main difference is that battle backgrounds are bigger and fully textured, and that certainly make things harder.

Tsetra

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2008-06-10 02:57:17 »
Regarding the angle of the sword for the PRP title replacer, the current angle is pretty good. The original angle that's used in the game would be cool too. By the way, is it necessarily impossible to use that in game? After all, the engine can handle some pretty high res stuff (it handled oblivion textures just fine). Seeing it on a field model though would take the "standing out" concept to a whole new level, though. Somebody REALLY needs to sort those pixilated backgrounds out. They seem worse and worse in my mind every time I play.

yongkykun

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2008-06-10 17:30:47 »
I can bake texture to a loRes model. It's pretty easy. But to my understanding, most people here have enough problem modifying the character model, so putting the sword into the game should be no problem, however, putting the hiRes model into the game might upset the fps or it might also make the game not playable... It's just an opinion though. As far as texture goes, I think 512x512 is more than enough considering the rest of the object in the game are not that detailed, texture-wise.

Edit: BTW, apz freak has made a good lores buster sword model, pretty much like mine. And in his thread, he mentioned something about releasing the file to us :)

link to said thread: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=7451.0
« Last Edit: 2008-06-10 17:33:32 by yongkykun »

Troopermanaic

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2008-07-05 16:04:35 »
Hope you dont get mad but I HAD to make that model of my own, of that bustersword cause its bad a$$. Hope you dont take it as an insult rather as a honor  :-D

Heres the model I made based off of your model if you like it I could send it to you cause it really needs textures but just so you know everything on that model is 3d including the grey area on the swords surface, 160,000 polys total.

http://s228.photobucket.com/albums/ee18/Troopermanaic/3d%20Models/
« Last Edit: 2008-07-05 16:07:12 by Troopermanaic »

yongkykun

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2008-07-08 18:05:34 »
Hope you dont get mad but I HAD to make that model of my own, of that bustersword cause its bad a$$. Hope you dont take it as an insult rather as a honor

^
||
sorry, but who are you referring? if it's me, then it's quite alright... if it's not me you're referring to, then next time, please address the person by name.
one question though... what software is that? sketchUp?! try and use blender, it's much much nicer, plus... it's FREE! Or if you can give me a brief summary on the software's capabilities, I might try it out... :D

Troopermanaic

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2008-07-09 21:13:20 »
its google sketchup 6 I find it to be VERY easy to use over the past modeling programs in the past, I usually convert my 3d models I make in google sketchup to blender (there are plugins to directly do it) I noticed right away that my models I make are 10X better then before but I dont plan on makeing it my main modeling program in the future because I feel like in some way the program is helping me do it, so I feel alittle guilty when im done.