Author Topic: Final Fantasy 7 and RPG maker.  (Read 7583 times)

Furzball

• Furzball happens...
    • View Profile
Final Fantasy 7 and RPG maker.
« on: 2010-07-26 14:47:23 »
Ok, so I've been playing around with an idea in my head for a few years past now. Now that I bought the Rpg maker VX I'm thinking of putting it into use. Basically the story will be based on the events of the Ancient World and the Arrival of Jenova. Fortunantly FF7 gave me an excuse to lax on the materia system. Since ancients can cast magic themselves originally. I would suppose materia would be used as puzzle tools and key items. Considering there has to be the white and black materias.

Anyways as I'm thinking this I am also considering "Will people play" if I do put time and effort into this project. I already have other projects that I'd have to set aside while doing this. So you guys and gals let me know you're opinion, inspirations, etc.

BTW put it in the unrelated section just cause I'm guessing that General will be more strict towards the subject being a real FF game rather then being a fan version. No I'm not going to cut Square of it's dues. All copyright of the game would go to them and all that.

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy 7 and RPG maker.
« Reply #1 on: 2010-07-26 15:15:51 »
Sounds cool. If you need any plot disambiguations, feel free to ask.

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010-07-26 20:00:11 »
id be interested in playing something like this. Do i need to purchase RPG maker as well? or can i simply play whatever youve created.

lee

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 2010-07-26 20:02:44 »
Ok, so I've been playing around with an idea in my head for a few years past now. Now that I bought the Rpg maker VX I'm thinking of putting it into use. Basically the story will be based on the events of the Ancient World and the Arrival of Jenova. Fortunantly FF7 gave me an excuse to lax on the materia system. Since ancients can cast magic themselves originally. I would suppose materia would be used as puzzle tools and key items. Considering there has to be the white and black materias.

Anyways as I'm thinking this I am also considering "Will people play" if I do put time and effort into this project. I already have other projects that I'd have to set aside while doing this. So you guys and gals let me know you're opinion, inspirations, etc.

BTW put it in the unrelated section just cause I'm guessing that General will be more strict towards the subject being a real FF game rather then being a fan version. No I'm not going to cut Square of it's dues. All copyright of the game would go to them and all that.

So, you're going to use SE's intellectual property in a game you distribute, without offering reparations... and hoping they just won't care?

Good luck with that. But please don't associate us with it. I don't mean that offensively: remember that when Chrono Resurrection went down, so did the whole Chrono Compendium. It's now illegal to publicly discuss reverse engineering of the Chrono games. Please don't do anything that puts the rest of Qhimm at risk.

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010-07-26 20:03:14 »
Download the rpg maker yourself without purchase for the runtimes pyro....have been making rpg maker games since 2002.

And trust mee furzball, if your new to rpg maker, DO NOT MAKE A GAME YET. You will only delete it and hate it. Until you get scripting down inside rpg maker, you can only hope to have a very mediocre game, that only runs of RPG Makers built in mechanics.

I used to belong to a game making "company" lol as we called ourselves, called FalconX.Only it was us making free games so I dont know how we thought we were a company. We made many FF remakes and some very original ggames. One of our members scripted a TCG in this engine.The way rph maker works, you can implement ANYTHING you want, materia wont be so hard,you just have to learn scripting and then make the materia yourself, you will not have many references to go by, you will be inventing it. But thats what we did in the day.
« Last Edit: 2010-07-26 20:08:16 by clouddamann »

Shankifer

• Jack of all trades - Master of none!
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: 2010-07-26 22:01:06 »
If it was made, I would play it  :)

Furzball

• Furzball happens...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010-07-26 22:19:33 »

So, you're going to use SE's intellectual property in a game you distribute, without offering reparations... and hoping they just won't care?

Good luck with that. But please don't associate us with it. I don't mean that offensively: remember that when Chrono Resurrection went down, so did the whole Chrono Compendium. It's now illegal to publicly discuss reverse engineering of the Chrono games. Please don't do anything that puts the rest of Qhimm at risk.
Woah woah take it easy buddy.

I know all this stuff. I wasn't going to publically call it FF7. Mostly it just borrows the ancient city, temple, Jenova, materia (holy and meteor), and cetra jenova storyline that there wasn't much information on.

Nor was I going to sell it. Heck there are plenty of fan works that are around that squaresoft doesn't go after even though I'm sure they are heard of.

And I was not going to reverse engineer any of the engine or graphics.

What reparations do they need from a free fan work that gives them(SE- though I'd probably say Square Soft :P  ) full copyright as I stated. Since they already own it they can order the recall on it whenever they want.

Hell it's less then what this site does in terms of copyright infringement.

And it's already evident that I'm not into the project at the moment. I'm just gathering the opinions of others. I'm not saying your opinion doesn't count. In fact I took a careful look at it.
@Clouddamann
- Well new to the PC version. Had the playstation version for a long time. I actually developed a full hentai RPG for kicks and giggles on that one. But I can figure out it's basic functions pretty well. It's probably going to be a short moreso visual novel type deal. Mostly limited areas. Storyline following, and levelling up. Levelling up will take place somewhat like battle arena, but walking outside Ancient City or Temple. It'll just have a question of fight or run. Fight starts random battle and run makes you re-enter "town"

Note: Boosola; if read blamed watched status on you, I apologize. Went back and found out it'll tell me why I'm watched. Which the reason I'll accept.
« Last Edit: 2010-07-26 22:22:35 by Furzball »

Mirenheart

• Pone
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010-07-26 23:23:52 »
There are actually several fan made FF7 games already made. I don't think anything about the past, but there are games made. One I found was Final Fantasy 7, Dark Cloud. It was made before Advent Children, obviously, because they didn't quite implement any of that. Good 8-bit game to play. There are also 2 remakes of FF7. One version made by a company to run on the Nes (or was it SNes?) which was rather poor. Instead of mechanical background and sci-fi fantasy elements, they used the basics and only used the castle backgrounds and rat enemies. :P
How ever, there was a better version made that actually looked like ff7. I don't have that one yet, due to lack of trying.