Author Topic: A proposed way to curb wasted time on Ultima ed. or other pirated editions.  (Read 15527 times)

Shankifer

• Jack of all trades - Master of none!
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
I was thinking, after scanning the forums for a while and finding all the times where time (like whole pages worth of questions) has been wasted due to someone not saying they have pirated edition or some pirated edition that the mods don't work correctly with.

I use a forum called ClubCivic to talk about my Civic, and they have a part of the profile that shows up under your picture that states things like

Car:
Horsepower:
ect.

and that feature helps people who take time to fill in those peices (there are a lot more than that) avoid questions like "what model, what chassis, " and so on.

I was thinking, if it would be possible, to add something like

FF7 Edition:

and then a lot of questions could be avoided. Something would have to be linked to a "what edition do I have" link or something but even with that hassle I think in the long run, this could save people a lot of time. Especially when people are oblivious and put "Pirated" "Ultima" and other illegal keywords in the Edition selection.

Just a thought, really didnt know where to go with this thought lol, Sorry if this isn't General FF related material  :P

The Seer of Shadows

• I used to be indecisive. But now, I'm not sure...
    • View Profile
No, you posted this in the correct board.

And I think it's a pretty good idea, but we don't need it urgently.

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
i think it would be a good idea, but signatures are disabled on these forums and there is very little hope of having them turned back on. The other problem is that it only works if people fill out the relevant information, most peeps who torrent the game are already lazy, and they surely would not fill out their entire profile just to post OMG MY PIRAET FF7 IS BROKED AND UR MODS DUN WORK.

i am a fan of signatures being turned on though, but without the option of using pictures or flash in them.

kee

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
I don't know SMF that well, but some forums allow plugins that can check for certain words and warn the poster before it lets them post. Like, if your post has the words "ultima", "pirated", "downloaded", or "cracked", then when you try to post, it'll pop up a message with a warning on it before it lets them post.

Just a suggestion.

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
i know what plugin your talking about, but not allowing those words could lead to massive headaches because that information will not be allowed to be included in the post. Imagine troubleshooting an Ultima edition problem but you don't know its the Ultima edition....

I'm a fan of the current setup, where Aali's driver won't work with pirated copies. However, i think another check would be nice, such as the next version of the TA patch requires the FF7 CD to be in the drive? I'd have to ask SL how difficult something like that would be, but it would certainly look great if we ever popped up on Sqeenix radar. It would also immediately rule out posters who claim their CDs don't work, blah blah blah

lee

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
i know what plugin your talking about, but not allowing those words could lead to massive headaches because that information will not be allowed to be included in the post. Imagine troubleshooting an pirated edition problem but you don't know its the pirated edition....

This is a problem with the current word filter. It's hard to explain to people that the UItima edition is a pirated edition of the game, or to have other discussions about it.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
but not allowing those words
I'm not talking about blocking the words entirely. I've seen on at least one forum, where if you try to post something with one of those words, a popup will appear warning that you may be breaking the rules, so it's an extra click before they can post, and a chance to not post it if they are in fact pirating. Basically an "are you sure you want to post this?" thing.

I don't think Ultima Espio would appreciate it if the word "Ultima" were completely banned.

Shankifer

• View Profile
    • Facebook
I think the word warning would be the best idea, especially since it seems like something that could be edited quickly if there is a new edition produced, or even if a word needs to be taken out.

The thing I proposed wouldn't necessarily be a signature, it would show up underneath your post count or something over there. If you check out http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=184595 and look at a members name you'll see what I'm talking about. The forum does have a lot of bugs, but they also have a lot more stuff to access.

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
i know what plugin your talking about, but not allowing those words could lead to massive headaches because that information will not be allowed to be included in the post. Imagine troubleshooting an pirated edition problem but you don't know its the pirated edition....

This is a problem with the current word filter. It's hard to explain to people that the UItima edition is a pirated edition of the game, or to have other discussions about it.

I will change the word filter.

obesebear

• View Profile
I don't see the problem.  If they downloaded/pirated the game, we don't help them anyways...

Shankifer

• View Profile
    • Facebook
yeah but what I'm saying is, how many times does someone on here sit down and try to help someone, who is listing all these problems, and if the poster is really incoherent or ignorant, the attempt of help could go on for a while before it is realized they are using Ultima. The nice thing about Ultima is that it gives a title with a download, so people KNOW what it is, they just will be ignorant of the rules here. They would probably be more than happy to tell us something they can figure out lol.

Also with listing the edition, you could curb compatibility problem help by looking and saying "oh this mod doesn't work with the ______ edition"

m35

• View Profile
    • jPSXdec
I may be incorrect, but it seems the moderators waste even more time dealing with people who necro threads. I've been on boards where older threads are automatically locked. I don't see why you don't do that, or at least have a large blinking banner whenever you reply to an old thread warning of potential rule violation. But maybe this sort of thing has already been implemented. I haven't necro'd any threads lately.

For the pirated version prevention, the word detection method will probably help. An alternative might be a mandatory question during sign-up with a dropdown box: "Where did you acquire your copy of FF7?" [ebay, Craigslist, pawn shop, Salvation Army, used game store, a friend, The Pirate Bay, Rapidshare, Mega Upload, other download, etc.] Maybe have a box for "If other, please explain..."

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
I may be incorrect, but it seems the moderators waste even more time dealing with people who necro threads. I've been on boards where older threads are automatically locked. I don't see why you don't do that, or at least have a large blinking banner whenever you reply to an old thread warning of potential rule violation. But maybe this sort of thing has already been implemented. I haven't necro'd any threads lately.

A warning comes up telling people in red letters that the thread they are about to post in is over 60 days old. Naturally, a lot of people don't take any notice

Opine

• View Profile
Maybe there could be an edition question when you register.
And if it's filled in with the word "ultima" you're automtically a muted user.

I do think it's possible that the TA demo is going to bring in hoards of plz halps.

Shankifer

• View Profile
    • Facebook
For the pirated version prevention, the word detection method will probably help. An alternative might be a mandatory question during sign-up with a dropdown box: "Where did you acquire your copy of FF7?" [ebay, Craigslist, pawn shop, Salvation Army, used game store, a friend, The Pirate Bay, Rapidshare, Mega Upload, other download, etc.] Maybe have a box for "If other, please explain..."

This is a terrific idea. Especially giving lots of places where you might obtain the Ultima version, it's kind of baiting... but at least it will get rid of A LOT of idiots. xD

Only the smart pirates will get through :P

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Honestly I do not see why people advertise the fact that they use the ultima edition or any other pirated version. Has pirating become so morally acceptable these days that people have no qualms with flaunting it? I guess it comes down to the fact that these people are idiots that do not realize that they should be quiet about this.

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
i think the issue is that the pirates do not realize an official "Ultima Edition" ever existed. So when they come to post they're unknowingly flat out telling us that they are using a pirated version of FF7 with a no-CD hack. It's actually kinda funny in that respect, props to the uploader who named it Ultima Edition, it might as well be call Pirated Edition.

Shankifer

• View Profile
    • Facebook
Honestly I do not see why people advertise the fact that they use the ultima edition or any other pirated version. Has pirating become so morally acceptable these days that people have no qualms with flaunting it? I guess it comes down to the fact that these people are idiots that do not realize that they should be quiet about this.

In truth, Pirating is widely socially acceptable.

It's ironic really, if you look at bands like metallica, rappers like P. Diddy, and other musical artists of the 70s-90s a huge concept was "Rebel!, fight the power!" or in rap music they rapped about robbing banks, stealing, and breaking the law. and really, who were the first people to get nationally recognized for complaining about people downloading music? Metallica is one of the biggest, and most ironic cases in their fight against Napster back in the day.

But more on topic with what you said, so many people of fame promote this anti-government way of living. Watch America's Daily shows and see how often show-hosts rant or make an ass of the government. In the U.S. We're told the government is a joke by our celebrities. Even in family and school environments, you might get sent to counseling for bringing a gun to school or stealing money, but nobody cares if you're downloading movies/music etc

Also, the reason it is so readily available as well, is the fact that some countries don't enforce copyright laws of other countries, so the websites are free to be hosted.
« Last Edit: 2010-08-27 19:15:03 by Shankifer »

ultima espio

• View Profile
Quote from: Covarr link=topic=10680.msg148958#msg148958

I don't think Ultima Espio would appreciate it if the word "Ultima" were completely banned.

At least 1 person remembered me :P

I don't think it really matters if someone posts about the Ultima Edition, they'll just get ignored anyway.
« Last Edit: 2010-08-27 20:32:06 by ultima espio »

Shankifer

• View Profile
    • Facebook
If they post that they use it, yeah they will. But its for those people that are like "Hi, I use your mods and they make my game act up" which for some mods could be true to the real ff7 version so it's just a way to curb some of the ultima players. It's all about evolution of the forum to eliminate as many of the problems as possible. Yes some will always be there, but it's nice to be able to cut down.

whether anything here is implicated or not is fine by me. It was just a thought and will be up to those in charge to decide action. :P

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
i think the best ideas so far are implementing the word filter, and possibly the "game edition" question when signing up. However, both methods are easily circumvented by someone in the know by lying.

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Well if they are smart enough to lie about that then they should be smart enough to lie about using it on here. Then we would get to stop warning people all the time.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel

I don't know about SMF, but I've seen other forums with similar systems in place - for instance, prompting users to mark their specific interests / the sections of the site they'll be using. The only issue is that Qhimm isn't an FF7-only site. That, and the fact noone will bother filling it in.

I think it's easier if we just, as a community, agree to the following:

* Respond to all tech support threads with a request for full information on version played, mods used, etc.
* Calmly copypaste a boilerplate "Unfortunately, the Ultima Edition..." text
* Say nothing else to the member in questions r.e. his/her broken game.

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
I think it's easier if we just, as a community, agree to the following:

* Respond to all tech support threads with a request for full information on version played, mods used, etc.
* Calmly copypaste a boilerplate "Unfortunately, the Ultima Edition..." text
* Say nothing else to the member in questions r.e. his/her broken game.

i think this is the best course of action, it still allows us to identify pirates immediately(thank you Ultima Edition) and we won't waste any more time arguing the merits of actually purchasing the game. After that, simply shunning the member or muting them should be sufficient.

lee

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
To elaborate, my argument is:

1. We need version information anyway. With so many ways of (legally) playing the game (with Aali's drivers, the 1.02 patch, through WINE, etc.), we need to get into the habit of asking "How are you playing" anyhow.

2. Calm boilerplate text explains the situation elegantly and non-confrontationally. It prevents posters personally engaging themselves with what is often quite frustrating (clueless, knowledge-sapping noobs, to be specific), and reduces flames / stress.

3. After this, stonewalling tech requests with boilerplate text is quick and will soon get the message across.

What text? Well

Unfortunately, we are unable to assist with pirated, cracked or torrented copies of the game, such as the Ultima Edition. Besides being illegal, these versions are often corrupt or altered significantly. They may have unexpected errors, or work differently from the original version. Therefore, we can only troubleshoot official versions of Final Fantasy 7 PC.

If you cannot find the PC version, the PSOne version can now be downloaded from Sony's PSN Store.

Yes, using the term 'official' is a bit clumsy and technically inaccurate, but most newbies will immediately get my gist when reading it (because software companies regularly like to marry the idea of an 'official version' with that of 'reliability'.)
« Last Edit: 2010-08-28 01:48:51 by Bosola »