Author Topic: A survey on personal gain...  (Read 4654 times)

guitar_dudester91

• View Profile
A survey on personal gain...
« on: 2010-09-13 06:33:26 »
Has anyone kissed arse before? Ha I was reading some stuff earlier, and had to laugh and thought I should come here.

Shankifer

• Jack of all trades - Master of none!
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: A survey on personal gain...
« Reply #1 on: 2010-09-13 10:19:42 »
count me in on the "have kissed arse" side lol. from experience I can say it isn't really that effective unless your kissing arse with an ego-maniac.

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010-09-13 10:49:33 »
Sucking buttock can only get you so far in life, everything else is just growing a pair.

In my old job, there was a guy who licked unbelievable amounts of buttcheek, he's still working the exact same job 6 years later.

The Seer of Shadows

• I used to be indecisive. But now, I'm not sure...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010-09-13 19:28:39 »
I can't say that I've ever kissed anyone's butt physically, but I probably have sucked up to many people without entirely meaning to (just trying to be friendly and get along with people :wink:).

Cupcake

• And then it dawned on me, that Satan is also an old fuck.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010-09-13 23:19:53 »
I've only had to kiss ass to not lose my job =p

I tend to get angry easily, so me forcing myself to not be angry = ass kissing

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010-09-13 23:31:54 »
ass kissing gets you closer to a previous ass kisser.  All of the people who normally control things can usually sense BS immediately and will simply write you off as a suck up. I know because i have been sucked up to, and i basically laughed in the guys face. Managers who respond to suck ups are bad managers, and usually promote the suck ups because they know they won't rock the boat.

I find it really hard to suck up, and i have only done it on a few occasions and it never paid off at all. At best my co-workers teased me for weeks, and the boss forgot immediately.

Tuxedo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010-09-14 21:47:22 »
Na, I don't suck up. I am, however, really polite to my seniors so I'm often accused of doing so.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: 2010-09-14 23:23:38 »
I don't 'kiss ass'. But it suits my manager's preconceptions and fancies for me to act a particular role, and yes, I act it. Tomorrow is my last day. I wonder if they'll ever realize how little they know about me? Not that I've lied, but I've certainly given nothing away. They wouldn't even guess what sort of clothes I wear outside of work.

But I've broken far too many of my own principles already. I resolved to give nothing of myself to this crummy sales job, but I keep tripping up here and there, and doing the odd bit of unpaid overtime. Going a little further when I don't need to. Oh, I've done far more than the job description. But that was supposed to be for myself, and myself alone. I keep doing more though.

Maybe I won't play an act tomorrow. I won't rant, or vent. I just won't play.
« Last Edit: 2010-11-24 17:18:32 by Bosola »

Cupcake

• And then it dawned on me, that Satan is also an old fuck.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010-09-14 23:47:56 »
Maybe I won't play an act tomorrow. I won't rant, or vent. I just won't play.

Do it, it's your last day anyway, and give us an update on how it goes

Opine

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2010-09-15 01:10:37 »
I think I know somewhat how you feel Bosola. I do that to some degree myself.

I am an introvert, but my job requires me to be very outgoing, energetic and heavily involved in interacting with everyone in the department. I do a good job during the day. Everyone likes me, I'm a hard worker, easy going, etc. But I come home every night exhausted, just dying for alone time. But being in sales... I can only imagine.

And while not playing sounds nice (especially when you're on your way out) it always comes back to references. If your next job (not this coming one, but the one after) needs more than one reference, will being different tomorrow affect their opinion of you.
Employment is such a tangled web.
At least IMO. I'll be glad when I'm not doing this anymore.

Retirement's only another 37 years away.

Slightly related local band song (caution for strong language).
« Last Edit: 2010-09-15 01:13:26 by Opine »