Author Topic: A thought about quoting images  (Read 6098 times)

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
A thought about quoting images
« on: 2010-10-29 23:48:57 »
Would it be possible for the forum software to simply take out image tags whenever they are in between quote tags, leaving only the image's url in the piece of quoted text? I imagine this is a little more complicated than wordfiltering, but if it could be done it would get rid of the quoting images problem very nicely indeed.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
Re: A thought about quoting images
« Reply #1 on: 2010-10-29 23:51:21 »
I know there are plugins for vBulletin, phpbb, and Invision to do this. I dunno 'bout SMF though.

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010-10-30 00:02:19 »
Why don't you do some research kudistos? If you can come up with a good solution I will take it to qhimm.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010-10-30 00:15:17 »
Why don't you do some research kudistos? If you can come up with a good solution I will take it to qhimm.

None of them are exactly what I was talking about, but there do seem to be mods for automatically hiding images in quotes:

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?action=search;basic_search=quote+image

Of particular interest was this one:

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2430

Cupcake

• And then it dawned on me, that Satan is also an old fuck.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010-10-30 06:23:09 »
Another thought, as far as forum addons go.  I know years ago, when I ran an SMF forum, there was a shop we had, where we had some rather fun items.  Most of them were useless, but they did have a function.  For example, our custom titles, required X amount of points, changing your display name, X amount of points, etc. etc.  I don't recall how points were given out, but it created a nice economy between all of us, and kept us entertained.  Seeing as how a lot of us spend a decent amount of time on here, it might be a fun time-waster for us.

endlessdamage

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010-10-30 07:09:21 »
Another thought, as far as forum addons go.  I know years ago, when I ran an SMF forum, there was a shop we had, where we had some rather fun items.  Most of them were useless, but they did have a function.  For example, our custom titles, required X amount of points, changing your display name, X amount of points, etc. etc.  I don't recall how points were given out, but it created a nice economy between all of us, and kept us entertained.  Seeing as how a lot of us spend a decent amount of time on here, it might be a fun time-waster for us.

I like this idea a lot. So, second the motion! I am always up for more fun + a challenge =]

EDIT: A possible solution to necros?   

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2040
« Last Edit: 2010-10-30 07:13:48 by endlessdamage »

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010-10-30 14:27:30 »

The problem with that is that there is sometimes a good reason to revive an old topic. Necroposting isn't always bad.

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010-10-30 15:32:37 »

The problem with that is that there is sometimes a good reason to revive an old topic. Necroposting isn't always bad.

I agree with kudistos on this one. I would rather have an old thread necro'd with some good new information that having said information fragmented over the forum.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010-10-30 15:35:29 »
Do questions that have already been answered repeatedly in the same thread count as new information?

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2010-10-30 15:37:00 »
Do questions that have already been answered repeatedly in the same thread count as new information?

sl-kun said
good new information
so I doubt it.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2010-10-30 16:21:00 »
I've been letting some necro posts slide.  Why have 20 topics about the same thing when 1 will suffice.   Granted if it's 9 fucking years old, there's a problem, but if it's only a few months... who cares.

Same with quoting images.  As long as it doesn't get quoted continuously and it isn't more than 1 or 2, not a big deal.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2010-10-30 16:23:13 »
I've been letting some necro posts slide.  Why have 20 topics about the same thing when 1 will suffice.   Granted if it's 9 f*cking years old, there's a problem, but if it's only a few months... who cares.

Same with quoting images.  As long as it doesn't get quoted continuously and it isn't more than 1 or 2, not a big deal.

You know what this means, kids! If we make sure that obesebear gets laid regularly, we can break the rules!

endlessdamage

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2010-10-30 23:58:17 »
I do agree, I guess I didnt fully think that through, I forgot about the whole, "unless you are submitting a new release or useful information" thing. Yes I know that isnt a direct quote, dont Nazi-fy me for it!