Author Topic: critical error  (Read 2912 times)

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
critical error
« on: 2011-03-21 00:37:27 »
um I really don't know what happened but my game just won't run anymore. As far as I am aware nothing was changed, but it won't even start. I completely reinstalled ff7 from scratch and erased everything in the install directory, but it still didn't solve the problem. Usually this is around the time I say all is lost and just reinstall my OS but if anyone might have any suggestions? I know its not aali's driver because it wouldn't work even without any mods or the driver. I am guessing this is some kind of virus or attack. Basically the game won't even start, no matter what I do it opens up then closes.

The app.log ends like this
ERROR: could not open file D:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\ff7input.cfg
initializing sound...

Kranmer

• View Profile
Re: critical error
« Reply #1 on: 2011-03-21 00:42:09 »
that sounds odd, and the app.log isnt really showing much, it could be a virus or maybe something breaking down, is it only happening to FF7 or are your other programs messing up ? have you closed all none needed programs ? (i mean go into your task manager and close everything that isnt needed by the system to run), also have you tried installing it to a different location to see if that makes any difference ?

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011-03-21 00:45:46 »
i dunno what to think, all of a sudden, after a restart, its working again. Should I be concerned about malicious software?

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2011-03-21 00:49:57 »
maybe, it could just be one of those things (like from time to time your PC will crash for no reason) but you might want to try a virus scanner and a malware scanner if you dont have one, i personally use AVG Free, Hijack This, Spybot Search and Destory, SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes (all free programs) to try and stay clean (although it doesnt always work)

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2011-03-21 00:54:37 »
I use superantispyware but I don't really have much faith in anti virus. I go for the preemptive approach by disabling scripts in my web browser and by keeping a good firewall. I guess I'll just keep and eye on my processes and if I see any major spikes I'll just reinstall my OS.

Kemlin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2011-03-21 03:53:13 »
Unfortunately, viruses infect computers faster than a preemptive approach can protect them. Even if you re-install the operating system and disable scripts in your browser, you can still easily get infected by popping onto an infected site.

I recommend the following:

http://www.avast.com/index

Avast! virus scanner. Free, fairly solid. Most basic line of defense.

http://www.safer-networking.org/index2.html

Spybot Search and Destroy. Also free, deals with a bunch of stuff Avast! doesn't specifically look for.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Malwarebytes. Sorta like a battleaxe, there's very little this can't deal with.

I've used all of these for years (Spybot since its inception), so I can vouch for their quality and stability.

Jaitsu

• DON'T FWOOSH ME BRO
    • View Profile
    • Jaitsu Studios
« Reply #6 on: 2011-03-21 12:19:01 »
microsoft security essentials is decent too. as said, Malwarebytes rocks.

also get a hold of Ccleaner, that can clean the computer out and run it better