Author Topic: Has anyone else lost gaming skill with age?  (Read 6569 times)

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
Has anyone else lost gaming skill with age?
« on: 2011-05-03 18:43:22 »
I started gaming at 18 months old. My older sister had messed around with me and the NES long enough to teach me how to play it.We have home videos of just before I was 2 mashing mario bros to death.

Anyways, as the years have drug on, I have replayed titles that I played from the ages 2-14 Id say, and the things I CLEARLY remember doing seem impossible for me now.

Some examples are:

Sonic 2, I could get Super Sonic before the first boss as a child of 6 or so. Now I cant even beat the third chaos medal level...

Iron Sword 2: I can clearly remember MASTERING this game, would rarely ever get hit, now I can rarely make it to the 4th level.

I could think of 100 more instances if I tried hard ennough or played enough old games and rememberes. What I want to know is have any of you had this same experience?

Jaitsu

• DON'T FWOOSH ME BRO
    • View Profile
    • Jaitsu Studios
Re: Has anyone else lost gaming skill with age?
« Reply #1 on: 2011-05-03 18:53:55 »
i'm going on 18 this month and started playing games when i was 3 (believe it or not) and i find i only keep getting better. i think it all depends on how in practice you can keep yourself.

syntax error

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011-05-03 19:15:24 »
I bet you two cant draw realistically!

Jaitsu

• DON'T FWOOSH ME BRO
    • View Profile
    • Jaitsu Studios
« Reply #3 on: 2011-05-03 19:26:56 »
I bet you two cant draw realistically!

actually i'm an aspiring anime artist and have practiced sinse i was 6, i don't mean to brag but i've been told i'm damn good at it.

and uhh, whats that got to do with this topic anyway?
« Last Edit: 2011-05-03 19:36:32 by Jaitsu Strife »

idl12

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2011-05-03 19:33:39 »
Ever since I played street fighter 2  when I was really young, Can't remember, I've progressively gotten worse at street fighter games with each year that passes, yet still I can't stop playing most of them.

Cupcake

• And then it dawned on me, that Satan is also an old fuck.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2011-05-03 19:44:23 »
I've just lost interest in most games, but the ones I do sit down and play, I've gotten better at.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #6 on: 2011-05-03 20:18:27 »
Usually things come back to me. I know for older games it was a lot of pattern memorization that I had down really well when I was a kid and playing certain games for hours on end. Super Mario Land being one example. It took me MONTHS to get to the last level, but the more I played it the easier it got to beat it in less than two hours. I haven't played it for years and I'm sure I forgot everything I had known about it since. I think if I played it again I'd remember bits and pieces of it, but not enough to zoom through it the way I used to.

BloodShot

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2011-05-03 20:38:54 »
The only ones I can think of are RTS games, namely starcraft. I used to be amazing at them when I was younger, and I could kick the crap out of people online. Now, I find I suck at micromanaging stuff, horrendously. Though I do get much better if i practice, if i don't play regularly I just suck again.

Any other game, not so much. I found FPS games easy to be decent at back then, and now even with long breaks, I still dominate at most of them. With the exception of older games I still play like Quake or Doom online.

DarkFang

• Pirate
  • Ponies! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2011-05-03 21:38:34 »
I recently did a no upgrades/hearts/sub tanks speed run of Mega Man X4 on the GameCube. I never died once. :3

I'm 17.

Nightmarish

• owari da
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2011-05-03 22:59:00 »
7 years ago i was top notch in Counter-Strike.
Nowadays i can only embarace myself when i get in public servers and leave with 2-10 score.

DarkFang

• Pirate
  • Ponies! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2011-05-03 23:45:50 »
Oh yeah I forgot Counter-Strike. I used to play 1.6 and I wasn't all that great. Now I play Source and I have an average 1.5 KDR.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2011-05-04 01:48:05 »
I've found that while there are some from my childhood that I'm not as good at now, there are others that kicked my ass back then, that I can now breeze through.   It's kind of been a 50/50 trade off

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2011-05-04 01:53:14 »
I am too damn good to lose skill!

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2011-05-04 14:57:17 »
I've found that while there are some from my childhood that I'm not as good at now, there are others that kicked my ass back then, that I can now breeze through.   It's kind of been a 50/50 trade off

It's been more-or-less the same with me; my skill has improved over time.

Unfortunately, I'm still crap.

FeliX Leonhart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2011-05-04 15:17:01 »
When I was young I loved pwning in RTS and was a total noob in action games, now it's vice versa XD

yoshi314

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2011-05-13 09:08:41 »
i think my reflex in games is not as good as it used to be.

on the other hand, i tend to analyze the "flow" of the gameplay in some games, and i tend to get familiar with game's system more quickly nowadays.

or maybe the games are just getting more and more dumb. which is more likely ;)

looking back, i feel that old games were much harder and unforgiving. no saves, often no continues, often incredible difficulty.