Author Topic: Euclideon  (Read 3664 times)

guitar_dudester91

• View Profile
Euclideon
« on: 2012-01-19 00:03:15 »
Anybody heard of these guys? I think its old news, but they're the guys with the unlimited detail gaming engine. Their video looks pretty awesome, maybe something will come of it. They said they'd be out in a few months, but I have yet to hear of any progress or any developers who are planning to buy or use this technology.

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/715040/australian-tech-company-boasts-of-game-changing-graphics-engine-but-is-it-too-good-to-be-true/

I originally stumpled on this via wimp.com, but they're black today what with SOPA and PIPA and the government finally trying to take over the web.

luksy

• View Profile
Re: Euclideon
« Reply #1 on: 2012-01-19 01:05:35 »
IIRC it's been debunked just about everywhere as vaporware, here's Notch's take on the issue

http://notch.tumblr.com/post/8386977075/its-a-scam

It’s a very pretty and very impressive piece of technology, but they’re carefully avoiding to mention any of the drawbacks, and they’re pretending like what they’re doing is something new and impressive. In reality, it’s been done several times before.

Seeing as they started hyping it over a year ago and there's been no updates for half of that (except a couple of FB posts), it's probably safe to assume they were trolling for investors.

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2012-01-19 17:37:37 »
The tech is real, it's very real, except that what they're showing is way too hardware intensive right now, hell, to just make one realistic voxel character model animate it can make a top of the line PC slow to a crawl, there are a couple of similar Voxel systems that have been shown working in real time, except they only render a small area at a time to reduce the amount of resources it chews through.

guitar_dudester91

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2012-01-19 18:38:17 »
So basically there's no way to run this tech without playing a game in bullet-time the whole way through.

Tekkie.X

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2012-01-19 22:29:54 »
Less bullet time, more power point presentation.

Livesey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2012-01-20 15:01:52 »
I have been reading up about this and apparently they use an algorithm that tells the engine what resolution your screen is on and it responds showing one "voxel" per pixel or something like that. Apparently it can be run on software as it only shows what is on the screen. Hey if I've misquoted I doubt it'll be long before this kind of technology can be run given how fast processors are advancing.

The biggest drawback I can see with it is the animation, but again they say they have it working so I guess I'll just have to keep an optimistic mind about it. It would be brilliant if their engine could get to a state where they can run games on it and hey if not it's still not useless as there could be for it in art, engineering, science, teaching etc.

Jenova's Witness

• Right Wing Safety Squads
  • I ♥ SCIENCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2012-01-21 01:47:50 »
« Last Edit: 2015-11-16 10:10:14 by Jenova's Witness »

Tekkie.X

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2012-01-21 19:05:23 »
Gotta love Powerpoint jokes, but didn't MS add animation and video to it in the last few years?